Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
When was the last time a team actually received something of value (ie more than a 3rd rounder) for taking on a cap dump?
Carolina got Teravainen, just off the top of my head.

Still though, the rising cap will bail out pretty much every cap crunched team in the league, I can only think of maybe Chicago and Edmonton that are simultaneously in a cap crunch and have a GM who thinks he can still win by selling futures, but I can't think of a contract they have I'd want to take. Seabrook? Lucic? Ugh, no thanks.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In all seriousness we might not be adding anyone to the Avs, other than a backup goalie.

Lando - MacK - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Compher
Wilson - Soderberg - Ghetto
Greer - Kamenev - Yakupov
Nieto, Toninato

Girard - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Bigras - Lindholm
Zadorov, Mironov

It won't make sense to have any of these guys in the AHL. And that's 1 too many players already.

I suspect the Avs will make a trade, especially considering Connor Timmins or Cale Makar could be in the defensive mix. Not to mention AJ Greer up front.

At some point Sakic will package a couple guys together for an upgrade. Too many guys competing for the same roles.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I suspect the Avs will make a trade, especially considering Connor Timmins or Cale Makar could be in the defensive mix. Not to mention AJ Greer up front.

At some point Sakic will package a couple guys together for an upgrade. Too many guys competing for the same roles.
This is what I think he’ll do, too. Maybe even add a pick or two.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Bob McKenzie said a couple of weeks ago on NHL Network Radio that the feeling from within the Islanders organization, from management to coaching staff to players, is that Tavares is re-signing in New York. They don't expect him to leave at all unless things seriously go south and the Islanders bottom out.

Yep, if the Isles dont make the playoffs are really on J.T 15 goals in 20 games and Barzal with similar numbers then it wont be a surprise at all. I guess it all depends of the Islanders game.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd love Pauly here. I think he'll age very well. But I don't think St.Louis lets him go unless they were to get Tavares, which is very unlikely.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Why would you think that the Avs would be in the mix to trade for Tavares? If he's traded, he'll be traded to a playoff-bound team even if he doesn't intend to sign with that team similar to Shattenkirk. Unless the Avs are playoff bound by some miracle, I don't see that happening.

Obviously, we should throw money at him since we'll have the room but I wouldn't bother spending the assets right now nor will NYI entertain it. Also, Tavares seems to be a pretty lame guy, I bet he just stays in NYI deluding himself into thinking he can win a cup there because he's comfortable or whatever.

John Tavares is not a lame guy, he hismelf has made NYI a team that it is now. He is a point per game player, currenly like 15 goals in 20 games in this season. He can reach 40-50 goal seaon by the end of this season. Why not offfer him a deal? Sakic will need to offer him a 10M-12M deal long term, probalby 6-7 years. Sakic will do it just like he tried to get Shatty back to Avs. Avs will not loose a single asset or a pick by making the move. Tavares wont be traded, there wont be a 3 way team trade like with Dutchy. Tavars will be with Isles for as long as possible, until Isles makes or dont make playoffs and then it will be up to Sakic to make a deal. I expect Sakic to offer an in between 9M - 12M deal for Tavares for a LTD, anything less will not be exeptalbe.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't go after any player with more then 1 year on the deal. We dont know what kind of situation we'd be in beyond that 1 year, and 2019/20 might be a much better year for us to target a free agent or two that we'd want to spend that Callahan money on.

Also, Tampa is actually in a really good spot cap wise. They've got over 3M in cap space even this year, and the only guy they need to re-sign in the summer is Namestnikov.

They might need cap help the year after that though. With Kucherov being an RFA, Point being an RFA, and Stralman being a UFA.
It's going to be very interesting to see what Kucherov gets on his next contract.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It'd be only two seasons at a $5.8 million cap hit, and that's not even the actual salary. Worst case scenario, they buy him out after one year. You're not gonna find a better cap dump than that. There's no way that contract gets them in cap trouble. There's plenty of ways signing a guy long-term does.

Also, it's Callahan we're talking about. Definite LTIR candidate.

Yes, it's only two seasons. But that second season is when we need to re-sign:
Rantanen
Compher
Kerfoot
Zadorov
Ghetto
Lindholm
Kamenev
Toninato
Mironov
Varly

Potentially Bigras, Nemeth, Yakupov and/or Nieto as well if they only sign for a year this coming summer.

That's a bunch of guys who need raises. Numerous ones with the potential for very significant raises at that. And 5.8mil is a lot of cash.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
My prediction for Tavares is 10.5M 8 years with the Isles. He's getting the Carey Price contract.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Rantanen
Compher
Kerfoot
Zadorov
Ghetto
Lindholm
Kamenev
Toninato
Mironov
Varly

Potentially Bigras, Nemeth, Yakupov and/or Nieto as well if they only sign for a year this coming summer.

That's a bunch of guys who need raises. Numerous ones with the potential for very significant raises at that. And 5.8mil is a lot of cash.

A lot of these guys are very important for the future but Rantanen and maybe Kerfoot are the only ones that will get a sizable raise.

I have a feeling that Zadorov won't be part of the Avs in 2 more seasons.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Rantanen
Compher
Kerfoot
Zadorov
Ghetto
Lindholm
Kamenev
Toninato
Mironov
Varly

Rantanen at $5,5-6 million unless something drastic happens next season. One out of Compher, Kamenev & Toninato probably wont be here because of our center depth, assuming Carl Söderberg doesn't get traded. Unless of course they can play good on the wings.
Andrighetto doesn't get top6 minutes anymore and won't be worth more than what he is currently getting. I've said before Yak is not an av next year, but I'm fine keeping him on sheltered minutes with ice time on power play. If Nieto gets a qualified offer it probably won't be more than what he is currently earning.

I think our college signings Kerfoot & Tonitano won't receive big contracts. Probably a bit cheaper with shorter term so they can further prove themselves.

Somewhere along the line a choice has to be made about parting ways with Bigras/Lindholm/Nemeth. Assuming we draft/trade for a top4 LHD.
Mironov probably goes back to Russia.

Zadorov is unpredictable. Varly won't get a big raise, not here atleast. Hopefully we can keep him around $6 mil at a reasonable term. Don't want any Carey Price-type contracts here.

Just a couple of thoughts and predictions..

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Another loss for both Edmonton and Montreal. When will the trade shoe drop? Sekeras is apparently coming back shortly, I expect GMPC to wait it out and hope that can help the team.

Montreal though, they need to do something and fast, they do not have a McDavid to pull them out of their rut (especially with price being injured all the time)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Another loss for both Edmonton and Montreal. When will the trade shoe drop? Sekeras is apparently coming back shortly, I expect GMPC to wait it out and hope that can help the team.

Montreal though, they need to do something and fast, they do not have a McDavid to pull them out of their rut (especially with price being injured all the time)
Andrighetto for EDM 1st lives on

Reactions: GBoeklen32 and cgf

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Bergevin doesn't do fast. I think they know playoffs are very unlikely and will ride out the season. I don't expect them to go full rebuild but I wouldn't be surprised if Pacioretty is gone by deadline.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The biggest problem with the Habs is, they cannot even easily start a full rebuild. They have petry, alzner, weber, shaw contracts + that price biggy that no one will touch with the dollars and term left. They can start by shipping patches out, and sure they can ship Gally out too but after that it is just overpriced old guys or guys worth nothing. Kind of like the leafs without JVR, Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner, nylander, marner, and no ability to tank due to price and those old d.

How about Andrighetto with small plus for 2nd and Ethan Bear. We need to really make Barrie expendable to trade him for Patches.

I would never post this anywhere but here, but how about 1st, Siemens, Andrighetto for Klef...right guys!

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Andrighetto for EDM 1st lives on

Lol that would be sweet.

I think he most likely stays with the Islanders but if he goes I'd guess it's to one of the usual suspects out East.

I'm just trying to think which teams would be serious contenders with him and could & would pay him the money he will ask. I've seen many people suggest Montreal but I don't appreciate the team even with Tavares. Maybe I underrate them.

I think he stays with Islanders and if he leaves he heads to St. Louis. Maybe even Philly..?

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The two players I would really like Sakic to target right now are: Big fish: Klefbom Smaller fish: Honka.

I honestly think GMPC is going to do something stupid and trade for a D, and if that D is left handed Klefbom will be traded. I don't think avs could afford him (i can see montreal going after him) but I would love to add him to the top four. Not sure what it would take though.

Girard - EJ
Klef - Barrie
Nemeth - mironov/lindholm

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
A lot of these guys are very important for the future but Rantanen and maybe Kerfoot are the only ones that will get a sizable raise.

I have a feeling that Zadorov won't be part of the Avs in 2 more seasons.
So you know the future? Many of those guys have the potential to get 3,4,5 million dollars.
Rantanen at $5,5-6 million unless something drastic happens next season. One out of Compher, Kamenev & Toninato probably wont be here because of our center depth, assuming Carl Söderberg doesn't get traded. Unless of course they can play good on the wings.
Andrighetto doesn't get top6 minutes anymore and won't be worth more than what he is currently getting. I've said before Yak is not an av next year, but I'm fine keeping him on sheltered minutes with ice time on power play. If Nieto gets a qualified offer it probably won't be more than what he is currently earning.

I think our college signings Kerfoot & Tonitano won't receive big contracts. Probably a bit cheaper with shorter term so they can further prove themselves.

Somewhere along the line a choice has to be made about parting ways with Bigras/Lindholm/Nemeth. Assuming we draft/trade for a top4 LHD.
Mironov probably goes back to Russia.

Zadorov is unpredictable. Varly won't get a big raise, not here atleast. Hopefully we can keep him around $6 mil at a reasonable term. Don't want any Carey Price-type contracts here.

Just a couple of thoughts and predictions..
We are not going to trade Compher, Kamenev or Toninato because we have one more year of Soderberg. We need one of Compher or Jost to move to wing anyways if both are going to be top6 players.

Ghetto has only had a couple games where he didn't get top6 minutes. Everyone needs to stop focusing on where people are listed on the depth chart and pay more attention to how much time these guys actually play. It's also been just a couple games that he was demoted to the 4th line. No guarantee he doesn't get moved around again. And he has already shown to be a lot better than 1.4mil already. Even if he levels out as a 40 point player that's a lot more valuable than 1.4mil.

We have no idea what happens to Yak right now. The facts are he makes less than a million, is on pace for 26 goals and 40 points, is having his best year in the nhl other than his rookie season. Maybe he is too one deminsional, maybe we want to keep him around. That type of production is worth 3+ million though, which is a significant raise compared to the scrub contract he has now.

Nieto isn't going to get much of a raise, but he is worth more than just a million dollars. We paid McLeod like 1.5mil and Nieto is close to a 30 point player.

Way too early to talk about Toninato.

But Kerfoot has showed to be much better than anyone expected. The guy is on pace for 65 points. He keeps that up and we could easily give him a real contract instead of forcing him into a bridge. And at that production we are looking at 5+ mil. Huge raise!

Regardless of which defenders are here it's not like we will save money. Whoever we let go won't be worth a good contract anyways. I mean the reason we let them go is because they just are not good enough and the other guys we have are better.

Yes, Z is unpredictable. Hence the reason he has the potential to earn a big contract by then. I wouldn't bet money on it, but the potential is there.

And who knows about Varly. Ideal we can keep him at 6, but he might want a raise and something based on the new cap. We might be looking at 8 or so to keep him around.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The two players I would really like Sakic to target right now are: Big fish: Klefbom Smaller fish: Honka.

I honestly think GMPC is going to do something stupid and trade for a D, and if that D is left handed Klefbom will be traded. I don't think avs could afford him (i can see montreal going after him) but I would love to add him to the top four. Not sure what it would take though.

Girard - EJ
Klef - Barrie
Nemeth - mironov/lindholm

Klefbom would be a player that would perfectly fit the AVs, but he has slumped and become a project. He is still young with immense potential, but trading Zadorov another LHD is not what the Oilers need. They are desperate for affordable Wingers and RHD that can move the PP.

Barrie and Ghetto

For

Klefboom
2018 - 2nd Round

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Still think it's too early to deal Barrie, we'd really be putting all our eggs into the Makar/Girard basket.

I partly agree, but getting a slumping player like Klefboom and trade Barrie when his value is peaking? Oilers are desperate and if an offer is available they could get a great return i.e Duchene.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Buy low sell high.

If kelfbom rebounds, then he goes back to being unavailable.

Do your due diligence on the player, and make a decision. Don't wait for him to turn back to a great player to try to acquire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad