Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think there'll still be teams that need room. If Tampa offered up Ryan Callahan for cheap I'd be more than okay with the Avs showing interest.

Also, Arizona took on Pavel Datsyuk's cap hit in exchange for a 1st rounder they used to pick Jakob Chychrun.

To be more precise, they took on Datsyuk's cap hit in exchange to move up 4 spots to pick Chychrun at #16. Detroit went on to select Cholowski at #20 with the 1st round pick they got in the trade from Arizona. Detroit also got a 2nd round pick in that trade (#53 - Filip Hronek, RD) and Joe Vitale.

Reactions: Pokecheque

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Two years from now $3m-$4m won't be all that much money considering the cap could realistically be $82-$87m. Only a few of the players that were listed will likely get $5m+ (Varly, Rantanen and maybe Kerfoot)

Don't act like 3-4mil isn't all that much. It's still 3-4 times what they make now. That is significant money. And if all these guys get good contracts, because they have earned them, we are looking at about 80mil.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm with Balthazar and don't understand all the Klefbom love. I didn't catch much of him last year but he is still not enough of a proven commodity in my eyes to pay a premium for. I see more of a middle pairing Dmen than a surefire top pair and think Barrie is definitely worth more. I agree that I would want Murray over Klefbom simply for the fact that you know what you're getting and he wouldn't cost near as much. Either way, I don't think we are making any more significant moves in the near future.

You're not alone. Maybe we'll all be proven wrong but I'm not impressed thus far. He might be good but he hasn't looked franchise cornerstone good yet. I'd even argue he's the third-best defenseman on that team behind Sekera and Larsson (and I am NO fan of Larsson).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You're not alone. Maybe we'll all be proven wrong but I'm not impressed thus far. He might be good but he hasn't looked franchise cornerstone good yet. I'd even argue he's the third-best defenseman on that team behind Sekera and Larsson (and I am NO fan of Larsson).
He's quite easily better than Sekera

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Depth is just great I know, but looking forward wow do we ever have a log jam of middle 6 forwards. Top line seems set and you don't really want many, if any of these guys playing 10 min - 4th line ice time. Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Kamenev, Greer, maybe 2018 pick, who all seem like core peices. Then Yak, Ghetto, Soda, Wilson. Morrison and Bowers maybe. They're not AHL players next year besides the last 2. Doesn't something have to give? 9 competing for what they hope 6 spots. Toninato and Wilson are good for 4th line, Morrison and Bowers as they break in as well too. I guess for now its probably just good depth, but with a FA or 2 (doubt it). Would we do something like a 2 - 1 or 3 - 1+ sometime here in the near future?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think we are at least a year to year-and-a-half away from making one of those multiple good assets for a more proven higher tier player type of moves. If there is an opportunity that presents itself, then jump on it - wasn't it Bobby Mac who was saying something to the affect that "Joe will (or should) look at combining multiple assets in the future for more young building blocks"? But I don't think you need to force anything yet because the logjams are all in our theoretical future, not right now. The only logjam I see right now is maybe lower pair defenders but you aren't going to get much value for a Bigras, Lindholm or Mironov in a trade right now (and certainly not for Barbs) so I'd just let things work out naturally. Up front we are a couple more injuries away from really having to start using AHL plugs in our actual line-up.

Let the ocean of newfound depth and the resulting competition raise all the boats and then determine which ones you really need to be keeping - I don't think we are there yet.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think part of the Klef appeal is the notion you are going to get Chia by the acorns and get him for a knockdown price because Chia is desperate. Which, being truthful - is a bit of fantasizing on our part. An Oiler fans reaction to this take would be like us walking into the TML board and hearing how we would take Andrew Nielsen, Bracco and a late 1st for Barrie because Sakic is trying to rebuild and Barrie isn't wanted here/doesn't like it here.

I mean, I don't see any world in which trading Klefbom is the solution for Edmonton. The net transaction of Klefbom for Barrie for them, even if Barrie is better this year is basically a net zero. Reason would dictate they would be much better off improving their team by keeping Klefbom and Larsson and dealing picks and prospects for a Mike Green, who makes a lot more sense for a team with McDavid that was promising big things this season than for us.

I agree the Oilers should keep Klefbom. If he was available and the ask is Barrie, the AVs should immediately. He offers a better salary, good size and immense potential. Barrie is being replaced by Girard and Makar/Timmins in a few years. Zadorov continues to improve and more help coming in the 2018 Draft. He will also solidify the LHD position for the next 5 years regardless if he plays on either 1 to 3 line. There is no urgency to carry the team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Depth is just great I know, but looking forward wow do we ever have a log jam of middle 6 forwards. Top line seems set and you don't really want many, if any of these guys playing 10 min - 4th line ice time. Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Kamenev, Greer, maybe 2018 pick, who all seem like core peices. Then Yak, Ghetto, Soda, Wilson. Morrison and Bowers maybe. They're not AHL players next year besides the last 2. Doesn't something have to give? 9 competing for what they hope 6 spots. Toninato and Wilson are good for 4th line, Morrison and Bowers as they break in as well too. I guess for now its probably just good depth, but with a FA or 2 (doubt it). Would we do something like a 2 - 1 or 3 - 1+ sometime here in the near future?

AHL is a whole different ball game. There's still a whole lot of questions marks, even if guys like Compher, Jost, and Kerfoot do look promising. Kamenev and Greer are still question marks in terms where they'll end up, although I do think Greer will be a NHLer, the question is how his game translates. I know he's doing well in the AHL, but to put it in perspective Nashville's 4th line all excelled in the AHL: Aberg (52 pts in 56 games), Salomaki (50 pts in 75 games), and Gaudreau (48 pts in 66 games).

If I was a betting man I don't see Yak, Ghetto, Soda, or Wilson being on this team for more than a few years. We're still ~2 quality drafts away from making quantity for quality trades.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No thanks to Klef. We already have a toolsy project LHD in Zadorov, I'd rather just ride it out with him and see if we can help him put it all together than trade more assets for another one. If you buy low sometimes the guy's stock just never rises again.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Don't act like 3-4mil isn't all that much. It's still 3-4 times what they make now. That is significant money. And if all these guys get good contracts, because they have earned them, we are looking at about 80mil.

Well first of all, it's very unlikely the Avs are going to sign them all. Second of all the Avs only have slightly less than $30m committed to players going in to that off-season and no major contracts that need to be signed before that. That means the Avs have at least $50m but likely closer to $60m, if not higher, to sign the players you mentioned (Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Zadorov, Ghetto, Lindholm, Kamenev, Toninato, Mironov, and Varly).

Lets break down that list. Toninato might not even be an NHL player. Zadorov and/or Mironov might not even make it though this off-season. Varly isn't going to get much of a raise if he gets one at all. Lindholm and Kamenev are very likely to be bridged. Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, and Andrighetto will likely be the only ones who'd get a significant raise. If money gets tight you trade Soderberg who would only have a year left on his contract at that point. Soderberg trade clears almost $5m. The only way the Avs f*** up this situation is signing 2 or more big money contacts in free agency.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AHL is a whole different ball game. There's still a whole lot of questions marks, even if guys like Compher, Jost, and Kerfoot do look promising. Kamenev and Greer are still question marks in terms where they'll end up, although I do think Greer will be a NHLer, the question is how his game translates. I know he's doing well in the AHL, but to put it in perspective Nashville's 4th line all excelled in the AHL: Aberg (52 pts in 56 games), Salomaki (50 pts in 75 games), and Gaudreau (48 pts in 66 games).

If I was a betting man I don't see Yak, Ghetto, Soda, or Wilson being on this team for more than a few years. We're still ~2 quality drafts away from making quantity for quality trades.

Why the hate on Yakupov?

The others I could understand, but he's only 24 years old. Signed a cheap 1 year deal and will remain a RFA afterwards. He has an incredible shot, fast and seems to love it in Colorado. Scoring is 7th on the team and already matched last season's totals. He's also on pace to have a record career. Bednar also seems to like the guy and has not been a game day scratch this season.

Uncertain if he can continue at this level, but wouldn't ignore he stays with the team.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even if Yakupov scores 20-25 goals, he can't really be part of a winning team. Everything about him is wildly inconsistent and chaotic.

He's fun as a comedic placeholder for now, but under no circumstances should Avs think of him as a long term player for them.

Reactions: CB Joe

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Yak's really only useful from the top of the face-off circles in the offensive zone and in. He's a mess everywhere else. I think he'll have a similar career trajectory to Chris Stewart.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Even if Yakupov scores 20-25 goals, he can't really be part of a winning team. Everything about him is wildly inconsistent and chaotic.

He's fun as a comedic placeholder for now, but under no circumstances should Avs think of him as a long term player for them.

Every player has faults and unfair to label him after 19 games.

Varly is injury prone. Landy is unpredictable. Mack under performed after his rookie season. Zadorov performance swings per game. Barrie defense is swiss cheese. EJ is always hurt. etc etc etc

Yakupov already surpassed expectations and loves the AVs. He even accepted the lowest Team Forward salary. If he plays well and works hard, he should definitely be part of their long-term plans.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
No thanks to Klef. We already have a toolsy project LHD in Zadorov, I'd rather just ride it out with him and see if we can help him put it all together than trade more assets for another one. If you buy low sometimes the guy's stock just never rises again.

Barrie could be one of the leagues top offensive Dman this season when looking at the point totals. Barrie is a very valuable player to other teams. Why trade him just for an unproven Klef when we can package him in for someone similar to Klef with a risky and unproven upside and get another 1st rounder or an assest back. Barrie has proven himself to rack up points during the regular season. After Dutchy, he is the assest that can bring us the most return.
Team like Edmonton will not take advantage of Avs while Sakic is the GM here. People are dreaming Barrie - Klef trade but it's not going to happen on Sakic's watch. Sakic will need assets and picks for Barrie type of player. Its either assets or picks or a Drouin - Sergachev type of trade. Klef does not have that upside yet and it could be a disaster if Sakic trades Barrie for Klef straight up.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Every player has faults and unfair to label him after 19 games.

Varly is injury prone. Landy is unpredictable. Mack under performed after his rookie season. Zadorov performance swings per game. Barrie defense is swiss cheese. EJ is always hurt. etc etc etc

Yakupov already surpassed expectations and loves the AVs. He even accepted the lowest Team Forward salary. If he plays well and works hard, he should definitely be part of their long-term plans.

If Yakupov puts everything together he's still a top 6 forward, I don't have much faith that will happen. I can still see him developing into a decent third liner and i'm rooting for him, but there's a fairly high chance he won't be on the team in ~3 years due to his inconsistencies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yak will be cheap as hell. He wants to stay in the NHL in general and Colorado most of all. I have no problem whatsoever giving him a two-year deal on the cheap after this year if he keeps up the scoring. You know he's going to be the easiest player to negotiate with ever.

Joe: I'll offer 2 years at 1.5m per, no bonuses.

Yak: How about two years at 1.4m and I mow your lawn all summer?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Yak will be cheap as hell. He wants to stay in the NHL in general and Colorado most of all. I have no problem whatsoever giving him a two-year deal on the cheap after this year if he keeps up the scoring. You know he's going to be the easiest player to negotiate with ever.

Joe: I'll offer 2 years at 1.5m per, no bonuses.

Yak: How about two years at 1.4m and I mow your lawn all summer?
Joe will want Yak to clear the snow with a snowblower!

Reactions: GBoeklen32

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
After tonight, Ottawa's pick is currently 7th overall.

It's interesting though, on the one hand if they finished bottom 10 and deferred the 2018 1st to the 2019 draft, that would suck to not have two picks in the first round of a deep draft like this one.

On the other hand, if the Avs continue on like they have so far this year and squeeze into the playoffs. Perhaps that extra 2019 1st would be some added firepower to use in a trade to get us another piece that could set this team up really well for the 2018/19 season. Maybe it turns out that this team is much further along then we thought with the core we already have, and we dont actually need the extra 1st for another proespect that wont have an impact for 2-3 more years at least. Maybe that can be used as currency to go get a good player now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
After tonight, Ottawa's pick is currently 7th overall.

It's interesting though, on the one hand if they finished bottom 10 and deferred the 2018 1st to the 2019 draft, that would suck to not have two picks in the first round of a deep draft like this one.

On the other hand, if the Avs continue on like they have so far this year and squeeze into the playoffs. Perhaps that extra 2019 1st would be some added firepower to use in a trade to get us another piece that could set this team up really well for the 2018/19 season. Maybe it turns out that this team is much further along then we thought with the core we already have, and we dont actually need the extra 1st for another proespect that wont have an impact for 2-3 more years at least. Maybe that can be used as currency to go get a good player now.

Some people just never learn....

Lets just hope Joe is smarter than that....

Avs need to stay the course.

Ottawa won't finish in the bottom 10 IMO.
And if they do, the house will be on fire which bodes well for us owning their 2019 1st...

Avs are in a killer division and should miss the playoffs no matter how good we are looking right now.

If we sneak in against all odds then great. But we certainly for gods sake shouldn't be a team that will buy at the deadline...

Reactions: Foppberg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Some people just never learn....

Lets just hope Joe is smarter than that....

Avs need to stay the course.

Ottawa won't finish in the bottom 10 IMO.
And if they do, the house will be on fire which bodes well for us owning their 2019 1st...

Avs are in a killer division and should miss the playoffs no matter how good we are looking right now.

If we sneak in against all odds then great. But we certainly for gods sake shouldn't be a team that will buy at the deadline...

:laugh:

Nowhere did I suggest we buy at the deadline. But thanks for that.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't think we should be getting too ahead of ourselves, this season has been awesome but stick to the path, build on it but don't do anything crazy. Continue with the youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad