Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nothing against those cities/teams but a top 10 player isn't signing in St. Louis or Carolina if he decides to change teams.

He's not leaving a forever-struggling team in a shitty market like Long Island just to join Carolina that's for damn sure. St.Louis is a legit contender though and if he wants to stay in the US and have a chance to win that's a prime destination.

I'd say

Isles
Leafs
Blues
Habs
Sharks

In that order

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Where will he sign? Which team:

A. Is a legit contender with him
B. Can add a 11M player to their salary structure and
C. Wants to commit 70 million+++ on a player?

There aren't many teams that can do and be all that. St Louis Blues might be one of them. I'm thinking Carolina even though it's not a sexy location.

I think he most likely stays with the Islanders but if he goes I'd guess it's to one of the usual suspects out East.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not a chance in hell Tavares would sign in Carolina. You don't leave the Islanders to sign there lol.

Honestly, I don't see a reason as to why Stastny would want to come back here. Did going back "home" to St. Louis play a factor? Sure it did, but IMO the bigger factor was he saw the writing on the wall with MacKinnon, Duchene and O'Reilly all here and ahead of him on the depth chart at centre. If he looks at us now, MacKinnon is clearly ahead of him and by the summer of 2018 who knows how far players like Kerfoot, Compher and Jost have progressed. Not to mention there's this half blind Swedish dude that plays centre in a top-9 role, too. Don't think Stastny would want to play here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wait! I have another crazy prediction: Tavares to Dallas. :naughty:

On paper that'd be something.

In all seriousness though I think it's gonna be a hella boring free agency year. With so many teams just skipping the bridge contract years there just isn't going to be much. And with the cap possibly going up we're going to see a lot of really, really terrible deals. I don't think Tavares or Stastny will be available. The best bet would be to wait until the stupid contracts are signed and sign a depth player or two, nothing big. No idea who that'd be though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bob McKenzie said a couple of weeks ago on NHL Network Radio that the feeling from within the Islanders organization, from management to coaching staff to players, is that Tavares is re-signing in New York. They don't expect him to leave at all unless things seriously go south and the Islanders bottom out.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Carolina + Tavares is a contender if they get just competent goaltending. Tavares, Skinner, Aho, & Necas ahead of that blueline would be a terror.

Plenty of teams look poised to make the next step, not all of them do. If Tavares leaves the Isles my guess is he wants to go to a legitimate cup contender who has a lengthy window, i.e. St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Columbus, Nashville.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Wait! I have another crazy prediction: Tavares to Dallas. :naughty:

On paper that'd be something.

In all seriousness though I think it's gonna be a hella boring free agency year. With so many teams just skipping the bridge contract years there just isn't going to be much. And with the cap possibly going up we're going to see a lot of really, really terrible deals. I don't think Tavares or Stastny will be available. The best bet would be to wait until the stupid contracts are signed and sign a depth player or two, nothing big. No idea who that'd be though.

In all seriousness we might not be adding anyone to the Avs, other than a backup goalie.

Lando - MacK - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Compher
Wilson - Soderberg - Ghetto
Greer - Kamenev - Yakupov
Nieto, Toninato

Girard - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Bigras - Lindholm
Zadorov, Mironov

It won't make sense to have any of these guys in the AHL. And that's 1 too many players already.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In all seriousness we might not be adding anyone to the Avs, other than a backup goalie.

Lando - MacK - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Compher
Wilson - Soderberg - Ghetto
Greer - Kamenev - Yakupov
Nieto, Toninato

Girard - EJ
Nemeth - Barrie
Bigras - Lindholm
Zadorov, Mironov

It won't make sense to have any of these guys in the AHL. And that's 1 too many players already.

Yep, good post. And I agree that they might not actually add anyone. They really don't need to, unless a top-flight defender suddenly becomes available.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I would absolutely prefer to not add anyone, but it looks like we are going to be way under the cap floor if we don’t.

Edit: I’m talking about next year, not post-deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yep, good post. And I agree that they might not actually add anyone. They really don't need to, unless a top-flight defender suddenly becomes available.

The thing with that roster is we'd actually have to add someone just to reach the cap floor.

Even with a generous pay jump to Yak and Nemeth, you're looking at ~55M maximum for that group of guys. If the salary cap rises to 80M next year, the floow is gonna be just over 59M.

Avs will need to add at least 4-5M in salary next year even if we dont want to.

EDIT: Yeah, just put that lineup into a cap calculator for next year, and even offering both Nemeth and Yakupov pretty generous 2M contracts, the team doesn't even reach the floor for this years salary cap. 55.009M it would be and the only opening is a back up goalie.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Overpay for a back up goalie like we did this year. And take on some cap dumps who we can put in the AHL. With some luck they will be good call up options as well, which we will probably need next year.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I keep forgetting about the cap floor. So long as they're smart about it and don't pull a Moulson, they should be good to pick up someone's dead cap space in exchange for a good player/pick, or even better, take on someone else's cap casualty (even with the cap rising SOMEONE will be in trouble).

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
When was the last time a team actually received something of value (ie more than a 3rd rounder) for taking on a cap dump?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont know if many teams will actually have cap dumps they'll be looking to dump though. Especially not if the cap does jump up to 80M. That would solve a lot of teams current cap issues really.

Just looking through the teams, Chicago looks to be fine. Toronto will be fine(Nylander needs a new contract but Bozak being a UFA and not coming back helps with that). Anaheim is fine(Montour needs a new deal but Bieksa comes off the books). Boston is fine at least for next year.

The one team that perhaps could need some relief is Minnesota. They're at 75M now and have Dumba + Zucker raises coming next summer. But they'll get relief in the form of 2.5M from Vanek's buyout coming off the books. Still, I'm sure they'd be happy to get rid of the final year of Ennis if they could and try to sign someone else in free agency instead.

Not sure we'd actually be able to get much value for him though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When was the last time a team actually received something of value (ie more than a 3rd rounder) for taking on a cap dump?

The Leafs getting a 2nd round pick and Connor Carrick for Brooks Laich back in 2016 is probably the best example of it recently.

Arizona got a 1st for Datsyuk's final year, but they also gave up a pair of 2nd rounders so they really didn't gain a lot out of that trade as the cost to move up to the 1st was pretty close to the value of the 2nds they gave up.

EDIT: Yeah, Bickell and Teuvo is a strong example also.

It doesn't happen a lot. Usually teams find a "creative" way to get below the cap without having to give up assets. Toronto and the infamous "Robidas Island" is the best example of that. Chicago and Hossa's mysterious allergic reaction this year was pretty suspect IMO as well.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think there'll still be teams that need room. If Tampa offered up Ryan Callahan for cheap I'd be more than okay with the Avs showing interest.

The bickell and TT trade.

Also, Arizona took on Pavel Datsyuk's cap hit in exchange for a 1st rounder they used to pick Jakob Chychrun.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think there'll still be teams that need room. If Tampa offered up Ryan Callahan for cheap I'd be more than okay with the Avs showing interest.

Also, Arizona took on Pavel Datsyuk's cap hit in exchange for a 1st rounder they used to pick Jakob Chychrun.
With how many guys we need to re-sign in 19-20 and the potential of only Wilson coming off the books I wouldn't go for Callahan.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
With how many guys we need to re-sign in 19-20 and the potential of only Wilson coming off the books I wouldn't go for Callahan.

It'd be only two seasons at a $5.8 million cap hit, and that's not even the actual salary. Worst case scenario, they buy him out after one year. You're not gonna find a better cap dump than that. There's no way that contract gets them in cap trouble. There's plenty of ways signing a guy long-term does.

Also, it's Callahan we're talking about. Definite LTIR candidate.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wouldn't go after any player with more then 1 year on the deal. We dont know what kind of situation we'd be in beyond that 1 year, and 2019/20 might be a much better year for us to target a free agent or two that we'd want to spend that Callahan money on.

Also, Tampa is actually in a really good spot cap wise. They've got over 3M in cap space even this year, and the only guy they need to re-sign in the summer is Namestnikov.

They might need cap help the year after that though. With Kucherov being an RFA, Point being an RFA, and Stralman being a UFA.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Someone should do some research on how often top 10 UFAs that played in the East sign in the West.

Sleeping in your own bed after away games is quite attractive.

Tavares does not even know which bed he will be sleeping in, he does not know if they will play in Brooklyn or Queens. It's a big mess over here. Tavares and Barzal are the only two players keeping Islanders in hopes for playoffs. 15 goals in 20 games and Barzal with a similar amount. If Isles don't make the playoffs this season will also be a big factor if he stays with them.
He's not leaving a forever-struggling team in a ****ty market like Long Island just to join Carolina that's for damn sure. St.Louis is a legit contender though and if he wants to stay in the US and have a chance to win that's a prime destination.

I'd say

Isles
Leafs
Blues
Habs
Sharks

In that order

Most likely J.T will re-sign with Isles but there are big question marks surrounding that whole situation and as of now, Isles are not talking extension with J.T. They don't know where they going to play. In Brooklyn or Queens? They don't have an arena contract and Barkley Center owners don't wont Isles there and hockey rink itself is horrible there.
It will also depend if Islanders will make the playoffs this season, if they dont, J.T has a bigger chance to walk away.

Most of the Canadian teams are out, I think. I read many articles were he does not want to play for a Canadian market. It will not be Habs, he wont sign with them for sure. You can take that team out. They let Rads go for 500K, 1 or 2 year longer contract and traded their franchise D man. They made a lot of decisions and I am 100% sure he wont even look at Habs.

Leafs have their own Nylanders, Marners and Matthew's to resign for big contracts and I am not even sure a player like Tavares will even look at Leafs.

Sharks are out too, they wanted Duchene but they had no good prospect / prospects to give us back for Dutchy and their lineup does not idicate to me that Sharks will continue to be a playoff team.

Just like with a Shattenkirk deal, there will be only like 3 to 5 teams to bid for Tavares, and Colorado will be one of them. We just need to do our part an be competatative every game that we play and the rest of it will take care of itself. Someone mentioned Rangers but if ever talk to Tavares, he is so fair player, he really reminds me of Sakic. Difficult to explain but a really classy player...probaly wont sign with Rangers and play against Isles for the rest of his career. Even Rangers don't post a lot of articles about him, some do, but at a minimal level.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Why would you think that the Avs would be in the mix to trade for Tavares? If he's traded, he'll be traded to a playoff-bound team even if he doesn't intend to sign with that team similar to Shattenkirk. Unless the Avs are playoff bound by some miracle, I don't see that happening.

Obviously, we should throw money at him since we'll have the room but I wouldn't bother spending the assets right now nor will NYI entertain it. Also, Tavares seems to be a pretty lame guy, I bet he just stays in NYI deluding himself into thinking he can win a cup there because he's comfortable or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad