Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't even want to entertain the idea of Tavares... I can't let that become a hope, and then a disappointment.

:laugh:

Yeah, it's fun to think about. The outlook for this team would improve tenfold.

But it's also important to keep our expectations in check. Even though I've gone extensively into the reasons why it would be amazing for us to get him. It's important to realize the high probability that it doesn't happen.

I think Balthazar is right, I doubt Tavares ever makes it to free agency. Though I dont expect to see a sign and trade. I think he's gonna re-sign in NYI and Garth Snow will risk everything on that happening IMO.

But until that day happens, there's always a chance!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hard to see Tavares make it to UFA, but that doesn't mean the Avs shouldn't throw a suitcase full of money at his head the instant that happens. He's an elite franchise player with a long track record, and with the cap space we have, we'd be insane not to try. I don't see it as a long shot either.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Out of all the bigger name UFAs that I'd be a fan of to sign (outside of Tavares) Would be:

Backlund (can't see him leaving Calgary, they're way too thin upfront)
JVR if he came on a shorter term deal (unlikely)
Komarov (doubt he leaves TO)
Grabner
Roussel
Stastny
Perron
Neal

There's some decent names out there this year, hopefully some actually hit July 1st and we nab someone good.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Macs feelings or desire of wanting to be the man should have no impact on going after Tavares or not.

I love Mac but if his ego is the only thing preventing us from having Tavares - MacKinnon down the middle, he is a problem.

That said. Tavares won't leave the Islanders for the Avs. That ain't gonna happen. It would be criminal from an Avs POV to not offer him the bank on July 1st if he makes it there even if we basically have no shot at him.

That said.

I have no desire of giving anyone else in this UFA class a deal that is longer than 3-4 years.
And aside from maybe a sentimental Stastny wanting to finish his career where he started it, none of the top guys I would be interested in will settle for a 3 year deal. Especially the older ones.

The worst thing Sakic can do right now is give 6-7 years to guys like JVR or Neal. These type of longterm deals for aging (or atleast guys that are getting up there) wingers never work. Clarkson, Clowe, Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson,Lucic, Backes, etc.
The list is almost endless

Kane, JVR, Neal will just be the newest entries in that category..

These kind of guys are just not worth it. I think GMs around the league are slowly realizing that.
Lets just hope Sakic is in that group as well.

Take on a bad contract or two that will be expiring the year after in exchange for getting a 2nd or 3rd + prospect if we have trouble reaching the cap floor.

Don't get yourself and your capsituation in trouble for complimentary guys.
Thats just never worth it.

Last edited:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Avs should got after an RFA in Namestiknov (won't happen) but maybe Stone now that Dorion has to be worried Duchene will price out some of the supporting cast in Ottawa.

If Oilers and Habs lose tonight I think a trade will finally happen

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Avs should got after an RFA in Namestiknov (won't happen) but maybe Stone now that Dorion has to be worried Duchene will price out some of the supporting cast in Ottawa.

If Oilers and Habs lose tonight I think a trade will finally happen

Majority at Sens board say that Stone will want to get paid more then Ryan as he is a better player.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No doubt the avs will pursue Tavares if he actually reaches UFA. They want hard after Shattenkirk, and rumours were that we offered more than everyone else.

Say what you want, but a Tavares UFA signing, along with a trade for a quality LHD makes this team contender-ish imo.

Center and D would be strong. And lots of young players to fill the wings and bottom 6.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
If the cap actually does go up to 80 million as was alluded to a couple of days ago, what would Tavares want? 12 million? The avs are losing almost 7 million in buried/bought out salary after this season. A cap increase + that 7 million of wasted space going off the books could almost fit his entire salary. I usually do not like signing crazy expensive players in UFA, but Tavares is a premier center, and would give a disgusting 1-2 punch for the Avs. They would need to have some savvy free agent signings though for wingers and hope the d actually develop.

I still think he will get paid a hilarious amount from the Islanders to stay, but if he does hit the open market I think Avs are one for 4-5 teams that have a combination of Cap Space and decent enough team to go after him without making any crazy trades for said cap space. Looking at the UFA list, I would rather the Avs pay Tavares 12 million than any other UFA 6 million.

Long way to UFA though. I know everyone thinks he will be traded if he won't sign, but I don't think the Islanders will go that route. It will be like Stamkos.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
No doubt the avs will pursue Tavares if he actually reaches UFA. They want hard after Shattenkirk, and rumours were that we offered more than everyone else.

Say what you want, but a Tavares UFA signing, along with a trade for a quality LHD makes this team contender-ish imo.

Center and D would be strong. And lots of young players to fill the wings and bottom 6.

See this I agree with, however I'm nearly positive it will be a very short phone call. Feel free to bring up this statement if I'm wrong in July.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
For next season we'll have 18 players signed with 30mil in cap space if the cap rises to 80mil. The only worthwhile UFA of ours is Bernier and no RFAs in need of pay increase that is worth a mention unless Bigras explodes. We have plenty of money to throw around, but I doubt they'll do that. I know I wouldn't.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I think they will get better via trade, possibly using some of the recent assets they acquired over signing an expensive older UFA or two. Only exception would be for older guys signed to <3-4 year contracts.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
See this I agree with, however I'm nearly positive it will be a very short phone call. Feel free to bring up this statement if I'm wrong in July.
I think much will depend on how we finish the season and if there are any other acquisitions made.

For instance, if Sakic acquires a high quality LHD, and the team can reach the playoffs, you're looking at an entirely different scenario.

Signing Tavares, I agree, is a ridiculous long shot.

I'm just commenting on the position this team would IF, it were to happen.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I took a quick look at the other contracts, as much as I want to pencil him in for 12 million, I can't see it. I think Stamkos 10.5 is pretty comparable, he can argue UFA status compared to McDavid, but he is not McDavid. Tavares at 10.5 is a lot more interesting than him at 12 million

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My big fear is that the Avs will undo all the great work they've done lately by trading for/signing Erik NotGoodbranson. Seriously not sure why so many teams, including the otherwise-smart Leafs, seem to love that guy so much.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Someone should do some research on how often top 10 UFAs that played in the East sign in the West.

Sleeping in your own bed after away games is quite attractive.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
My big fear is that the Avs will undo all the great work they've done lately by trading for/signing Erik NotGoodbranson. Seriously not sure why so many teams, including the otherwise-smart Leafs, seem to love that guy so much.
He’s big, tough as nails and clears the crease, but he’ll be overpaid for sure. One guy I think we might sign next summer is Neal.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
MacK becomes 2C?

He won’t agree to that, he’s not a passive personality like Malkin. MacK wants the ball.

I think you are making very good points. But still, if Tavares came here with 11M x 7 contract I'd be a happy camper. There is like 1% chance he does it tho.

Overall, I think center position is something we shouldn't be looking to add from free agency (unless there is a Tavares available or very good two way 2C like Stastny signs a very fair contract). We have MacK as 1C and behind him Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, Söderberg and out of these five centermen four are going to be here for long term (hopefully). Jost and Compher could always transfer to wing.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
12M is too much. I would hard pass on that.

I mean we could offer him 14mil for 4 years and still have around 13mil (assuming a 2mil increase) in cap space for next season. With that being said I agree, I dont think that's the best option for us as imo it takes to much of our overall cap.

Besides from Tavares and Carlson this offseason has a very lackluster list of free agents. Couple good second line scorers in Kane, JVR and Neal that all could add a nice punch to our team, but no one there I'd wanna pay over 5.5mil with JVR being my favourite candidate.

I think this offseason we need to make one large trade as well as possibly a smaller one in order to fix up our holes at LD as well as our second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad