Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Well, we should definitely back up a truck of money on Tavares' doorstep. Barring that, I wouldn't mind a trade for a useful player with a bad contract with 1-2 years left, ala Wilson this year. However, I would add a guy like Ghetto to get more futures in the form of picks or something. Either that, or target a RFA due for a big raise on a salary crunched team. Offer sheet is even an option, though I doubt it gets to that point.

Who fits the bill? For option 1, maybe a guy like Spezza. Option 2, a guy like Boone Jenner would be a great addition to this team. As for offer sheets, I think it would be hilarious for Sakic to ruin Dorion and give Mark Stone a heavy front loaded deal with a signing bonus that Ottawa cannot fiscally match.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I know ppl won't want to throw away our picks but we have a lot, and a lot of cash. Any big name RFAs we could offer sheet?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why are people keep mentionning Tavares? We have a 10x better chances to draft Dahlin than getting Tavares to sign here. He'll get maximum term and money everywhere else, he's not coming to a small market rebuilding team ffs.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Why are people keep mentionning Tavares? We have a 10x better chances to draft Dahlin than getting Tavares to sign here. He'll get maximum term and money everywhere else, he's not coming to a small market rebuilding team ffs.
Agreed. Let’s keep arguing about whether we should include Makar in the OEL trade instead. (Actually, let’s not).

We need something to talk about.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Which competing teams are going to be able to afford the likes of Tavares and Stastny if they decide to test UFA?

Lots will be able to afford Stastny IMO. Cant see him signing for over ~5-5.5M given his age and production in St. Louis. I also dont think the Blues bring him back either for what it's worth.

Tavares is a different story. But if the cap does rise to 80M it will give a lot of teams a significant break and allow some of them to pursue a Tavares type player.

Obviously NYI can afford to bring him back. Toronto could potentially, but it would mean losing all 3 of JVR, Bozak, and Komarov most likely. They'd have a lot of cap space but also will need a new contract for Nylander and Matthews/Marner the year after that.

Outside of the Islanders, I think St. Louis would actually be my next bet for where he ends up. They're a really good team already and the biggest need they have(And have had for a long time) is a true #1C. With 7M coming off the books from the Stastny deal, and potentially an extra 5M in salary cap for next year, that would give them 12M in cap just from that two spend on Tavares. No big RFAs or other UFAs to sign as well. The other possibility is the Rangers. Nash's 7.8M cap comes off the books, as does Holden and Grabner which makes up an additional 3.5M in space. It's trickier for them though as they'll have some RFAs that could be expensive. JT Miller in particular will probably be looking at a 3M or so pay raise.

All that said, if the Avs were serious about going after him not many other teams in the league could match up in terms of $$. We could go up as high as 11-12M and it wouldn't have much effect long term. The only big pay raise contract we have to worry about at least for the next 3-4 years is gonna be Rantanen. But the way I look at that is, Wilson's 4M cap hit comes off the books the same summer Rants is an RFA. So that 4M can go towards Mikko's new deal and then you add an extra 1-1.5M to the books pretty much to get him in that 6-6.5M range.

Mackinnon's deal is looking like an absolute gem right now. With all these young guys getting 9-10M+ contracts and he's sitting at just 6.3M for another 5 years after this year. As a team we really need to take advantage of that contract over the next 5 years. As crazy as it might sound given where we're at right now and more so where we were 6 months ago, I think our real window for making a push for a cup is gonna be from that 2018/19 season(Not that I think we'll be a contender next year by any means) to 2022/23, before Mack becomes a UFA.

Making playoffs this year would go a long way to attracting a guy like Tavares here as well.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs still should consider LHD. Good size would help as well. I'm sure they'll be adding more prospects the next draft, but what about Cam Fowler?

He's 6'1", 215 lbs and still young at 26 years of age when he's a UFA.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Lots will be able to afford Stastny IMO. Cant see him signing for over ~5-5.5M given his age and production in St. Louis. I also dont think the Blues bring him back either for what it's worth.

Tavares is a different story. But if the cap does rise to 80M it will give a lot of teams a significant break and allow some of them to pursue a Tavares type player.

Obviously NYI can afford to bring him back. Toronto could potentially, but it would mean losing all 3 of JVR, Bozak, and Komarov most likely. They'd have a lot of cap space but also will need a new contract for Nylander and Matthews/Marner the year after that.

Outside of the Islanders, I think St. Louis would actually be my next bet for where he ends up. They're a really good team already and the biggest need they have(And have had for a long time) is a true #1C. With 7M coming off the books from the Stastny deal, and potentially an extra 5M in salary cap for next year, that would give them 12M in cap just from that two spend on Tavares. No big RFAs or other UFAs to sign as well. The other possibility is the Rangers. Nash's 7.8M cap comes off the books, as does Holden and Grabner which makes up an additional 3.5M in space. It's trickier for them though as they'll have some RFAs that could be expensive. JT Miller in particular will probably be looking at a 3M or so pay raise.

All that said, if the Avs were serious about going after him not many other teams in the league could match up in terms of $$. We could go up as high as 11-12M and it wouldn't have much effect long term. The only big pay raise contract we have to worry about at least for the next 3-4 years is gonna be Rantanen. But the way I look at that is, Wilson's 4M cap hit comes off the books the same summer Rants is an RFA. So that 4M can go towards Mikko's new deal and then you add an extra 1-1.5M to the books pretty much to get him in that 6-6.5M range.

Mackinnon's deal is looking like an absolute gem right now. With all these young guys getting 9-10M+ contracts and he's sitting at just 6.3M for another 5 years after this year. As a team we really need to take advantage of that contract over the next 5 years. As crazy as it might sound given where we're at right now and more so where we were 6 months ago, I think our real window for making a push for a cup is gonna be from that 2018/19 season(Not that I think we'll be a contender next year by any means) to 2022/23, before Mack becomes a UFA.

Making playoffs this year would go a long way to attracting a guy like Tavares here as well.
We don't want Tavares , like wtf

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Agreed. Let’s keep arguing about whether we should include Makar in the OEL trade instead. (Actually, let’s not).
Still more likely than signing Tavares as an UFA.

Teams that will fight tooth and nail for Tavares:

Tier 1 "We'd do anything for you John":
Isles
Habs
Leafs

Tier 2 "Staying in the US with a chance of winning":
Blues
Sharks

Tier 3 "Last resort"
Canes
AVS
Everyone else under the sun with cap space

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Why on Earth would we not want Tavares...

Seriously looking forward to this answer.

Why would we wanna pay 12 mil per for a 28 year old , nobody is worth that unless his name is McDavid. Nothing special about Tavares, Remember this is a 4th liner on Canada's Olympic team

Last edited:

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010

Isles
Habs
Leafs

Blues
Sharks

Tier 3 "Last resort"
Canes
AVS
I absolutely agree that it’s extremely unlikely, but I don’t see a reason to chastise people for discussing it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Isles
Habs
Leafs

Blues
Sharks

Tier 3 "Last resort"
Canes
AVS

It's highly unlikely to happen sure. But nobody projected Iginla to sign with the Avs either.

If, and yes it's a big if. But IF the Avs were to make the playoffs this year, that would go a long way towards adding to a sell job that could be given towards Tavares. Instead of being a Rebuilding team coming off a historically bad season and following it up with another lackluster season that saw us miss playoffs and pick Top 10 again, the sell job becomes a team that went from dead last and a disaster, to a playoff bound team just 1 year after, where the team got younger, faster, and significantly more skilled.

It'd add a lot more merit to the teams chances for sure. Throw in the fact Denver is a fantastic city to start a young family in and that adds to it as well.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen. But I dont think you're giving Denver nearly enough credit.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I absolutely agree that it’s extremely unlikely, but I don’t see a reason to chastise people for discussing it.
Chastise is a bit of a stretch. Besides, I'm no moderator here and you can do whatever you want. :nod:

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Chastise is a bit of a stretch. Besides, I'm no moderator here and you can do whatever you want. :nod:
Yeah chastise was probably too harsh of a word and I don’t mean to be confrontational. It’s been a civil discussion that I have enjoyed taking part of.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why would wanna pay 12 mil for a 28 year old , body bus worth that unless his name is McDavid. Nothing special about Tavares

:laugh:

Yeah, nothing special about him. He's just been a PPG player almost his entire career. 15 goals in 20 games this year. He'd easily be out best player but you're right, nothing special about him.

Also, if you dont think the league is headed in a direction where the top players of the game get paid 11-12M a year, then you're in for a real surprise very soon.

This isn't 2010 anymore. The Salary cap floor is almost as big now as what the cap was back in 2010. A 12M contract is all of 15% of a teams salary cap(Assuming the 80M increase). When Ovechkin signed his 9.5M a year deal back in 2008/09 season he alone made up 17% of his teams salary.

And while these high end contracts are getting bigger, the 4th line guys and bottom pairing Dmen are still making the same money as they were 7-8 years ago.

Reactions: JoeSakic13

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's highly unlikely to happen sure. But nobody projected Iginla to sign with the Avs either.
Come on man, I usually agree with you but that's not even in the same universe. Tavares is like Stamkos last year and I expect the same result. If and that's a big IF he's not signing with Long Island, I expect a sign and trade similar to Turris.

Can you think of anyone of this caliber ever hitting the UFA market? I can't.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Come on man, I usually agree with you but that's not even in the same universe. Tavares is like Stamkos last year and I expect the same result. If and that's a big IF he's not signing with Long Island, I expect a sign and trade similar to Turris.

Can you think of anyone of this caliber ever hitting the UFA market? I can't.

Brad Richards in 2010/11. A year or two older but just as big of a player.

EDIT: I miscalculated his age by a year. Was thinking he had just turned 30 when he signed with the Rangers but he'd actually turned 31. Tavares will be 28 when his new deal starts. So 3 years.

And yes, the Iginla situation wasn't exactly the same. But nobody projected him to the Avs because we weren't really seen as a true contender at the time. A lot of people though we had a lucky year before and were gonna regress hard the following year.

My point with that was all players think differently and value things differently. In that situation Iginla really valued his familys best interests and where he wanted his kids to be going to school to at the time.

Tavares is also at an age where he's gonna be starting a young family pretty soon as well if not already. Perhaps other factors besides money and a teams popularity will play into it for him as well.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
12M is too much. I would hard pass on that.

I dont think it'll be 12. Closer to what Toews and Kane signed for. But even if it was 12. For the chance to acquire an Elite #1C without giving up a single asset aside from money, is something you have to try and do if you can afford to do it, and the Avs can.

Getting waaay ahead of ourselves here(And I'm sure Balthazar wont like it :laugh:), but on the very unlikely chance you do get Tavares, you're looking at a 1-2 Center punch that's quite possibly the very best in the league(Especially if Mack is breaking out before our eyes right now), and you have it locked up for 5 more years at minimum and for a combined cap hit of just over 20% of your teams salary. 23% to be exact. Remember Crosby and Malkin combined for over 30% of there teams salary in the 2009/10 season. Also, if you get Tavares, it frees up a got like Jost, or Compher, or Kerfoot, etc. to start using in trade discussions to bring in that high end Dman we've been searching endlessly for.

Mackinnons contract right now really allows us to go out and spend a lot of money to get a player of Tavares quality. It really does. I dont think I can stress this point enough. It's basically shaping up to be what Tavares previous contract was for the Islanders for the last 5 years. He's been making 5.5M a year while guys a lot worse then him are getting signed to contracts in the 7,8,9 million dollar range. The Isles however didn't get the chance to take advantage of this because they never had the opportunity to go out and sign a high end player to come and join the team like the Avs could in theory have with Tavares.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad