Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So just to make things perfectly clear, we're anticipating this lineup for next season right?

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Skinner - Tavares - Kessel
Jost - Stastny - Stone
Nieto - Crosby - Compher

Karlsson - Carlson
Subban - Barrie
Zadorov - Johnson
Girard

Holtby
Bernier
Francouz

Should be able to win a series or two with that lineup at least. Maybe get some good development from Jost, Zads, and Girard as well.

member 116861

So just to make things perfectly clear, we're anticipating this lineup for next season right?

Jost - Stastny - Stone
Nieto - Crosby - Compher

Karlsson - Carlson
Subban - Barrie
Zadorov - Johnson
Girard

Holtby
Bernier
Francouz

Should be able to win a series or two with that lineup at least. Maybe get some good development from Jost, Zads, and Girard as well.

What about Barberio?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Jost - Stastny - Stone
Nieto - Crosby - Compher

Karlsson - Carlson
Subban - Barrie
Zadorov - Johnson
Girard

Holtby
Bernier
Francouz

Draisaitl instead of Crosby and you're close.

Reactions: cgf

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I get being mindful of aging players, lord knows the Avs did not with a few guys in the last 5-6 years and it hurt, but Kessel is a bit of a different horse...plus a lot younger than those before mentioned players.

IMO, his game will age really well -- much like Thorton, Hossa, and the like -- because of the style he plays. He won't see that huge drop off that some guys that rely on physicality and/or pure speed....as neither aspect really play into his game. And much like with the Pens, he will not be "the man" alone by himself here -- his role will be slightly bigger, but he will be sheltered by other player still.

Also, some brought up Brassard and how much he fetched. If anything, that deal shows why one where the Avs take on some cap money in a deal for Kessel why they could get him relatively cheap. A big part of the Brassard deal was that Vegas retained 40% of his salary...along with moving out Cole's money..

It also does not take looking any further than the probably soon to be Cup champs to see how much teams would give up for some cap space and what value that has.

Last edited:

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I'm not sure how having Kessel helps us? Where would he play? Top line or 2nd? Who would he play with?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not sure how having Kessel helps us? Where would he play? Top line or 2nd? Who would he play with?

Let him drive the 2nd line. If you can get a player like Kessel you have to explore that option. But I just see 0 need to break up that top line so he’d be the driver of the 2nd line imo.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Trading big packages for aging vets only makes sense if you are contending right now. The Avs are still a season or two away from being contenders, unless we get lucky and manage to sign Tavares.
But if the avs are a year or 2 away, wouldn’t that mean we have Kessel for at least 2 or 3 seasons as contenders?

His contract even ends one year before Mackinnon, so no long term issues.

Think of it this way as well.

How much closer are we just this past year with a healthy Varlamov, a healthy Johnson AND Kessel in the lineup.

It’s close to adding another Mackinnon to the lineup.

It cannot be understated how much a significant difference it makes to add a legit star player.

Reactions: cgf

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I get being mindful of aging players, lord knows the Avs did not with a few guys in the last 5-6 years and it hurt, but Kessel is a bit of a different horse...plus a lot younger than those before mentioned players.

IMO, his game will age really well -- much like Thorton, Hossa, and the like -- because of the style he plays. He won't see that huge drop off that some guys that rely on physicality and/or pure speed....as neither aspect really play into his game. And much like with the Pens, he will not be "the man" alone by himself here -- his role will be slightly bigger, but he will be sheltered by other player still.

Also, some brought up Brassard and how much he fetched. If anything, that deal shows why one where the Avs take on some cap money in a deal for Kessel why they could get him relatively cheap. A big part of the Brassard deal was that Vegas retained 40% of his salary...along with moving out Cole's money..

It also does not take looking any further than the probably soon to be Cup champs to see how much teams would give up for some cap space and what value that has.
Speed is an important part of Kessel's game. He generates a lot off the rush. It's not the only part of his game, it's not like he's Jason Chimera, but if he lost a step he'd not be as effective.
Having said that, I think he'd be a great additon to our top 6. The guy just put up 92 points. No idea what it would it take to make it happen. Barrie and one of our 2019 1sts for Kessel?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol on everyone who thinks Kessel is a possible option. His price tag is probably through the roof. We're taking at minimum Barrie, 1st, and probably a top prospect. The guy just put up 92pts he isn't coming cheap.

Just need to stay away from him.

Reactions: MarkT and LTC Pain

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Not that Kessel is realistic or anything, but one of the big positives with regards to him aging is that he is incredibly durable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's missed a game this decade. Biggest concern to me with an older player is wear and tear on the body from playing.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Not that Kessel is realistic or anything, but one of the big positives with regards to him aging is that he is incredibly durable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's missed a game this decade. Biggest concern to me with an older player is wear and tear on the body from playing.

Yup. The last time Kessel missed games was in 09-10 season. That's incredible.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
One name that doesn’t get talked about a lot but I could see Sakic doing is Jack Johnson. I wouldn’t want him but it wouldn’t surprise me at all with all of our cap space. With his financial troubles, you can assume he’s going to the highest bidder which is why I wouldn’t want him but he’s probably more realistic than a UFA Carlson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad