Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming Friedman is right, Colorado would likely receive a futures heavy package, like they did with O'Reilly. I don't have a huge problem with that as it's the most likely way they can "win" a Duchene trade. I am concerned about who is going to play center if Duchene is traded for futures. I'm very impressed with Compher so far but I don't think he or Jost are ready yet to take on more responsibility.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, I really love how our lineup has meshed and getting rid of Duchene will disrupt our best line, but if the deals there you gotta do it. Hopefully we could get a roster C back in his place. Zib + Chabot would have been perfect, oh well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Girard has clearly surpassed Fabbro in the Preds' prospect chart and if we get the lesser RHD instead of the better LHD I sure won't be happy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Assuming Friedman is right, Colorado would likely receive a futures heavy package, like they did with O'Reilly. I don't have a huge problem with that as it's the most likely way they can "win" a Duchene trade. I am concerned about who is going to play center if Duchene is traded for futures. I'm very impressed with Compher so far but I don't think he or Jost are ready yet to take on more responsibility.
Compher looked good taking MacK's spot last night. Just roll with the kids. Kerf is a center too. It's not like Duchene can't get injured either and we are faced with the same problem.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Based on what? Girard wasn't getting all this hype until recently with his camp, pre-season and making the roster to start the year.

Girard and Chabot were the 2 best defensemen in the Q last year and most QMJHL fans could argue that both were equally as good. What was holding him back at the draft and in the hype department was his size. Now that he has done well in camp, pre-season and regular season his size isn't as much of an issue.

Girard won the best dman award in 2016 (at the age of 17, only for the 4th time in the Q's history), Chabot won it last year despite Girard having a better year offensively. Sometimes I get the feeling that people here think that Girard is some 2nd rounder kid coming out of nowhere. He isn't.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Compher looked good taking MacK's spot last night. Just roll with the kids. Kerf is a center too. It's not like Duchene can't get injured either and we are faced with the same problem.
Kerfoot has 5 games NHL experience and Compher has 26 games. I think expecting either one to play second line center is a bit of a stretch and could be bad for their development. What if something happens to MacKinnon? I don't want these guys to be way over their head.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Compher isn't an 18 or 19 year old nor is this 2005, these kids will be fine. Soderberg actually looks more than capable of playing 2nd line based on his current play though he probably has no chemistry with Yak.

And tbh, this is a team that needs a high draft pick, if Duchene is traded and we struggle then it's not the end of the world.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Compher has looked very solid at C, taking a lot of defensive responsibility on that Landy line. Playing him as a top 6 C will likely be something he can handle right now, and he'll probably get better at it with time.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Compher isn't an 18 or 19 year old nor is this 2005, these kids will be fine. Soderberg actually looks more than capable of playing 2nd line based on his current play though he probably has no chemistry with Yak.

And tbh, this is a team that needs a high draft pick, if Duchene is traded and we struggle then it's not the end of the world.
Most teams could use a high draft pick, but at some point they have to stop leaning on the crutch of draft position and start developing a winning culture. I'd be much happier missing the playoffs by a hand full of points then being nervous about another draft lottery. If our scouts can't get a good piece no matter where they are in the first round then there are bigger issues at hand.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd be much happier missing the playoffs by a hand full of points then being nervous about another draft lottery.

So you'd rather miss the playoffs and draft at #12 than miss the playoffs and draft at #4?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
So you'd rather miss the playoffs and draft at #12 than miss the playoffs and draft at #4?
When you frame it like that it sounds silly, but when you look at what that means, that the team is developing chemistry and actually winning games. How do you think the players would feel after another lottery season? That also means that Mack, Rants, Jost, JT, Z probably didnt have all that great of years, that means probably more injuries to guys. How is that good for development. At what point does this team learn what it takes to win games instead of just praying that a lottery pick turns the franchise around.

Reactions: McMetal

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He was always highly thought of, good point producer in the Q, very likely WJC player if he's available.

I didn't say he wasn't. His hype has jumped a lot in the past month though.

And he hasn't been to the WJC before. That's a pretty good sign of how highly thought of someone was.
Girard and Chabot were the 2 best defensemen in the Q last year and most QMJHL fans could argue that both were equally as good. What was holding him back at the draft and in the hype department was his size. Now that he has done well in camp, pre-season and regular season his size isn't as much of an issue.

Girard won the best dman award in 2016 (at the age of 17, only for the 4th time in the Q's history), Chabot won it last year despite Girard having a better year offensively. Sometimes I get the feeling that people here think that Girard is some 2nd rounder kid coming out of nowhere. He isn't.

Yes, he did well in the past month. That's my point. Fabbro, who was more highly thought of, didn't have a chance to showcase himself in the same situation. We don't know how Nashville thinks of the two comparatively simply because Girard is in the situation he is in.

So because I say it's hard to compare Fabbro and Girard and mention that his hype has grown recently, which you just said it has grown as well, that means I think of him as some 2nd rounder? It amazes me some of the conclusions you guys come to.

When you frame it like that it sounds silly, but when you look at what that means, that the team is developing chemistry and actually winning games. How do you think the players would feel after another lottery season? That also means that Mack, Rants, Jost, JT, Z probably didnt have all that great of years, that means probably more injuries to guys. How is that good for development. At what point does this team learn what it takes to win games instead of just praying that a lottery pick turns the franchise around.

Is the goal to win some games or build a championship caliber franchise?
How about just miss the playoffs and win one of the lottery picks top 3? That sounds ideal

Ideal, but very unlikely.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
All it took was 4 games to go from "will Sakic trade Duchene already?!" and spamming Dahlin videos to "well we can no longer trade Duchene now because we have a good team".

Four. Games. :) We might have the most bipolar fanbase.

I didn't want Duchene traded last season, the off season, or now. Always wanted him here.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And he hasn't been to the WJC before. That's a pretty good sign of how highly thought of someone was.

He was literally the last guy cut from last year's WJC, he was called a "surprise cut" and they told him it was only a question of fit and not because he wasn't good enough. It was the exact same thing as the "Subban not in team Canada" decision (ie: you're a bad fit so we'll dress lesser dmen instead of you").

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yes, I know what your point is. I never disagreed and acknowledged early that he was always been highly thought of.

My point is that he has become more highly thought of because of camp, pre-season and a couple NHL games. And that's not a situation Fabbro, who was more highly thought of before this off-season, had the benefit of going through. Because Fabbro didn't have this benefit it's hard to say if Girard actually jumped him in the eyes of the Preds or if it's just the situations they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad