Post-Game Talk: Avs def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Miller, Mikheyev, Zadorov) | Swear words.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That second period goal with just a tick left on the lock for the Av's turned out to be a killer. And by the middle of the second period, the Av's raised the level of their game and the Canucks simply couldn't match it.

All of which is a cautionary tale for the playoffs. A number of these teams have another level they can reach in the playoffs......not sure the same can be said of the Canucks.

One thing's for certain. Whoever faces the Avalanche in these playoffs is seriously in tough.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Powerplay needs some major rework.
One of the main reasons for our slump earlier and overall decline in performance (still a top team i know) is resulted directly from not being able to capatalize on the powerplay.

The whole league noticed how it goes, you rough up the nucks, they pass around for 2-minutes and play goes on.

This has got to be priority no.1 for the coaching staff if they wish to have any success in the post season.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Sorry other thread closed. @MS regarding protecting the lead.

This is why I don't agree with it. I can understand with under ten to go but not a full period against someone as strong as Avs. Your just asking for trouble in my opinion. I mean don't take chances but don't just sit back let them know they don't have to be weary of you as well. So they can't just take chances themselves.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Overall a tale of two Canucks teams. Part one: composed, defensively sound and dominated a top tier cup contender.

Part two: special teams, and one of our top two lines MIA cost us the game.

Credit to the Avs, they showed the heart of a champion tonight. We can get there too.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Only 42-17-8 now. We're screwed. Fire the coach.

I don’t think anyone is saying to fire Tocchet, I think overall he’s a great coach that has clearly improved the team. That being said he’s not above criticism when the team doesn’t play well, and there are certain parts of his strategy that can be questioned (which goes for every coach).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Miller's post game presser right now really makes me feel like he should be Captain.

No slight against Hughes, but Miller is the vocal and emotional leader of the team.

And it's no surprise he's always the first person interviewed. Holding the team accountable, no excuses.

Miller maybe over the top for being captain, Hughes is the quiet emotional leader.
While Miller is the aggressive, pound your chest hard type of bad ass mojo you'd latch onto.

Reactions: Indiana

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Doing what every other team does doesn’t mean it’s always effective. Make adjustments when it doesn’t work.
Nothing is ever 100% effective in the NHL but when a system is effective more than it isn't, it's usually at least a decent system.

Teams play that way because it works more than it doesn't. If you think a team has the energy in game 67 of the season when they're leading a game to continue pushing momentum against the trailing team despite being up 3 goals, your expectations are unrealistic. It's just not something that happens regularly.

The best teams in league history have done this when leading by enough goals. Hell, look at how that 2014 Canadian olympic gold team played when leading. It's automatic, and I'd argue it's a part of every single system to a degree. The Canucks just execute it better than arguably any other team in the league.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

This is why I don't agree with it. I can understand with under ten to go but not a full period against someone as strong as Avs. Your just asking for trouble in my opinion. I mean don't take chances but don't just sit back let them know they don't have to be weary of you as well. So they can't just take chances themselves.
It's not so much the protecting the lead, more of how they protect it. You can't put the same level of effort in the 3rd against the Avs as you can say the Ducks. They definitely have to step up the effort in the big games to close it out.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

You cannot give up the neutral zone to guys like mackinnon and mcdavid that's exactly what they want. Mackinnon had nothing when vc was pressing, but when you stop forechecking and give him ice the elite players will burn you.

It will work against other teams we know that, but against teams like the avs I just can't see it as a good way to win. They love to attack in waves and you are playing into there hands. Not every team is equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad