Post-Game Talk: Avs bury the Jets 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the bottom six has 3 goals in the past 14 games, all 3 came in 1 game. if you expect our top6 to score 3+ every game while getting nothing from the bottom end of the roster then you have some unrealistic expectations, but go a head and blame the only guys who can score and ignore the bottom that hasn't done anything recently

What has the top 6 scored in that time at evens?

This team will not go anywhere with 4 goals in 30 gp from their bottom 6. Lowry is goal-less in 32 games that's a top 9 fwd yet in your mind it's scheifele, pld, Connor etc fault this team isn't scoring.If you expect the top 6 to score 3+ every night you're out to lunch.

This was from end of January. Don't think much has changed:

Somehow teams are getting scoring up and down the line up foreign f***ing concept on here tho.

Like I said, I am not defending the bottom 6 scoring. But the top 6 not scoring is a bigger problem than the bottom 6 not scoring in a lot less TOI.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think the idea of improving the top 6 makes the bottom 6 better. Ideally our top 6 consists of scheif pld Connor ehlers perfetti and Wheeler when everyone Is healthy but getting a top 6 guy then bumps one of the current guys to the bottom 6. It's unfortunate cole Is hurt again so really, Chevy needs to get 1 top 6 and a couple bottom 6 guys now. Improving the top 6 tho also improves the bottom 6

Reactions: GNP

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
What has the top 6 scored in that time at evens?

Like I said, I am not defending the bottom 6 scoring. But the top 6 not scoring is a bigger problem than the bottom 6 not scoring in a lot less TOI.
quickly pulled up our scoring from the past 14 games

connor-5
wheeler-3
pld-5
ehlers-2
scheifele -7
perfetti-2

bottom 6 -3 in one game

just because some of them came on the pp doesn't mean it's more of a problem then our bottom six only scoring 3 in past 14 especially when 3 of them came in 1 game, going a month with out a goal from 2 of your lines is not going to go well for any team

Reactions: Inanna and GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Meanwhile, the Edmonton Oilers are clinging to a wild card spot and fighting to improve their standing.

But they lost today. To the Columbus Blue Jackets.

And what's especially sweet, the Oilers at one point had a 4 goal lead.

Add in the fact that the New York Rangers have now lost 3 games in a row and the desperate, sky-is-falling situation of the Jets doesn't seem so bad.

The Oilers didn't have a 4 goal lead, they were down 4-0 and tied it 4-4 before giving up 2 to make it 6-4.

Reactions: macmaroon and GNP

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Didn't realize I'd have to pop into this thread to confirm that my tweet was a joke and that I rarely if ever have insider knowledge (sometimes things come into my inbox but that's extremely rare and I probably won't ever break anything)

That being said I'm still 100% worried about the usage of Ehlers and if this season was to convince players that there's something worth staying for past 2024-25 when everyone's contracts expires, the good vibes the team started the season off are fading awfully fast

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Didn't realize I'd have to pop into this thread to confirm that my tweet was a joke and that I rarely if ever have insider knowledge (sometimes things come into my inbox but that's extremely rare and I probably won't ever break anything)

That being said I'm still 100% worried about the usage of Ehlers and if this season was to convince players that there's something worth staying for past 2024-25 when everyone's contracts expires, the good vibes the team started the season off are fading awfully fast
You got a call from chipman didnt you...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
quickly pulled up our scoring from the past 14 games

connor-5
wheeler-3
pld-5
ehlers-2
scheifele -7
perfetti-2

bottom 6 -3 in one game

just because some of them came on the pp doesn't mean it's more of a problem then our bottom six only scoring 3 in past 14 especially when 3 of them came in 1 game, going a month with out a goal from 2 of your lines is not going to go well for any team

PP is a different story. My point is, and has been that the top 6 is scoring at even strength. Which is the same as the problem with the bottom 6. They aren't scoring at even strength either, but a lot less scoring is expected from the bottom 6, as is reflected in their pay and their TOI.

If you want to include PP scoring lets look at PP scoring per 60 for top 6 vs bottom 6. Bottom 6 gets practically zero PP time.

If we are going that far comparing top 6 and bottom 6 lets also include PK. Some of those non-scoring bottom 6 players have been pretty valuable on the PK. That and goaltending are the only good parts of the Jets game right now.

This is not a situation where our top 6 is scoring but we are losing games by 1 goal because the bottom 6 can't chip in with a few goals. This is a case where the whole team is failing to score. Blaming it on the low paid talent seems a little silly to me.

The Jets aren't even generating many good chances. There have been a couple of games in this stretch where they had a lot of possession and maybe even a lot of shots. But they were not good scoring chances. They were shots that make the goalie look good, pad his sv%.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
You know what else is a crime?

Stabbing.

I've got a t-shirt for that...

20210610_042720.jpg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
the bottom six has 3 goals in the past 14 games, all 3 came in 1 game. if you expect our top6 to score 3+ every game while getting nothing from the bottom end of the roster then you have some unrealistic expectations, but go a head and blame the only guys who can score and ignore the bottom that hasn't done anything recently
I thought I would do a little exercise in calculation. I went back 15 games, since the Montreal game is often cited as the start of the downfall (6-9 record from that time) and tabulated the scoring. It's all shorthand calculation so if it's wrong at any point feel free to correct, read into what you want, but pay attention to the ES scoring numbers, top to bottom

Scheifele (15 games) 8G, 5A, -3; 0 PPG, 2 PPA
PLD (15) 4G, 2A, -4; 1 PPG, 1 PPA
Connor (15) 5G, 8A, -8; 3 PPG, 2 PPA
Wheeler (15) 4G, 9A, -4; 1 PPG, 4 PPA
Ehlers (15), 2G, 8A, -5; 1 PPG, 3 PPA
Perfetti (12) 2G, 2A, E; 1 PPG

Note that 2 two top 6 players had 1 ES goal in the last 15 and 12 games respectively. And Kyle Connor only has 2. Dubois and Wheeler 3. There's 2 EN goals against that would affect the +/- of some players, but otherwise it is what it is.

Adam Lowry (15) 0G, 2A, -2; 1 PPA
Barron (15) 0G, 2A, E;
Appleton (7) 1G, 2A, -3; 1 PPG
Maenalanen (15) 0G, 2A, -1
Jonsson-Fjallby (6) 1G, 1A, E
Stenlund (15)1G, 0A, -1
Kuhlman (13) 1G, 0A, -4
Gagner (6) 0G, 0A, E

The Jets PK in the last 15 games 38/44 for 86.4%
The Jets PP in the last 15 games 10/60 for 16.7%

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I wanted to add this to the discussion too, since I was listening to Garret talk about Neal Pionk on IC, and a lot of fans on here extract their info from him:

I do agree that Neal is chaotic. Probably the most Jekyll and Hyde on the team,

but going back to the Montreal game Pionk has 1G, 5A in 15 games, E in terms of +/-

De Melo in 12 games has 0G, 2A, and -6.

Morrissey is -5 in that period, but with very respectable point totals (3G, 8A).

So I wonder since everyone has said all along that De Melo is a rock defensively, have the Jets reached the point where he is no longer a reliable option as a top pairing d-man? Where would Morrissey-De Melo track among top pairing in the NHL?

Or his slump an aberration unlike the bottom six scoring slump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad