Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can see the Penguins trying to ship Kris Letang to Ottawa in exchange for Duchene. Not a one for one, other pieces likely need to be added from Pittsburgh's end due to Letang's injury concerns but that's one way to make the salaries work.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Ottawa trades Duchene next deadline to be honest with you. They are going to be a bottom-5 team next season if (when?) the inevitable Erik Karlsson trade goes down, and I doubt Duchene wants to play for the Sens past 2019.

Nuh uh. They're getting younger & faster, just like us. Melnyk said so.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A) Fan sentiment can’t get any worse than it already is in Ottawa.

B) Dorion answers to Melnyk, who just extended him. He doesn’t need to “sell” anything, he’s a puppet that does what he’s told.

C) For all the lip service he’s been paying, we know that Duchene wants to be on a competitive team before his legs give out. That’s not going to be Ottawa unless the somehow land Dahlin, keep EK, and successfully pull off at least one more big deal this summer.

As EK goes, so does Duchy. Be it this summer or next.

I actually think Ottawa could be surprisingly decent given how many garbage teams there in the east. That blueline is a disaster as soon as EK leaves, but they could have 4 legit lines if their young forwards can have a similar impact for them as the college line has had for us; and it wouldn't be the first time Anderson followed a bad year up by standing on his head to bail out a terrible defense.

Fully agreed about the Dorion & Melnyk parts. They've lost the fans already and who they haven't lost yet they will lose when they trade EK. And Melnyk seems to be fine with that if it means cutting costs. As long as that's the case that's the path Dorion will follow. Hope he can sell Duchene & Stone on their stronger end to the season; and use EK to cut costs and load up their cubbards to go with their top 10 pick this year & a Chabot-Ceci pairing which should at least be decent, if EK can't be sold the same line.

It'll be interesting to see if Duchene buys in or if he has already moved on to Pittsburgh or Nashville in his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barklez

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The question is not "will Dorion extend Duchene?". The question is "Will Duchene sign literally any contract they offer him?" And I think the answer is no. Duchene wants to play playoff hockey, he isn't the type who will stay and play on a losing team for an overpayment like ROR.

He looked at the Avs org and (like a great many of you here) concluded they were a tire fire of an org and going down in flames. How is he really going to look at the Ottawa Melnyks and think THAT team has a future? For the first time in his pro career, Duchene has a chance to choose his destiny after being on losing teams. I can't imagine that he would throw that away by signing a long term deal with Ottawa.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I also think Matt really likes feeling appreciated and between Roy ripping him for celebrating 30 goal & Sakic looking into trading him, he stopped feeling appreciated by the Avs. So instead of it being about rebuilding/contending it was more about wanting him or being whatever about him. With what Dorion paid to get him, I can totally see Matt re-signing in Ottawa if they end up offering him & Stone matching deals over 7.25M

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I also think Matt really likes feeling appreciated and between Roy ripping him for celebrating 30 goal & Sakic looking into trading him, he stopped feeling appreciated by the Avs. So instead of it being about rebuilding/contending it was more about wanting him or being whatever about him. With what Dorion paid to get him, I can totally see Matt re-signing in Ottawa if they end up offering him & Stone matching deals over 7.25M

I could be wrong but wasn't it the other way around? Duchene wanted out and Sakic wanted to keep him? At least he rejected offers and didn't want to trade him just for the sake of it.

Reactions: MarkT

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I could be wrong but wasn't it the other way around? Duchene wanted out and Sakic wanted to keep him? At least he rejected offers and didn't want to trade him just for the sake of it.

Duchene's trade request was around new years 2016-2017, in the summer of 2016 we almost traded him for Chabot & Zibanejad. I dunno if Matt had already started to want out before that trade almost happened, but we almost traded him almost 6 months before he actually made his trade-request.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Who cares about Matt? He wanted to leave.

Kamenev will be a bust. Haven't seen that slow skater in awhile. So slow that in today's hockey you can't hide that with some other skill. So we got screwed atleast with one return on that trade.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Right back at you.
I mean we've all been talking about many months now how good was the return. And all we really have now is Girard. Kamenev is the second "ready" player. And he didn't look good. Now I understand why Nashville didn't want him to play last spring though there were lot of injuries in their line up. Sure we have picks and Bowers but nobody knows how those assets will turn up. And in the need of that second line center I'm starting this thought that we actually lost that trade. Too early? Yeah I know but was really disapointing too see Kamenev.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Hopefully this guy is trolling, or else we have a really clueless hockey fan. Kamenev is 21, and has only played one NHL game, can we give him more than 10 shifts before we call him a bust?

Reactions: cgf and Jixer19

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Right back at you.
I mean we've all been talking about many months now how good was the return. And all we really have now is Girard. Kamenev is the second "ready" player. And he didn't look good. Now I understand why Nashville didn't want him to play last spring though there were lot of injuries in their line up. Sure we have picks and Bowers but nobody knows how those assets will turn up. And in the need of that second line center I'm starting this thought that we actually lost that trade. Too early? Yeah I know but was really disapointing too see Kamenev.

It was his first game back after a severe injury, along with being a rookie.. You can't possibly be serious. Saying you're being extremely dramatic is an understatement.

Reactions: cgf and Jixer19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It was his first game back after a severe injury, along with being a rookie.. You can't possibly be serious. Saying you're being extremely dramatic is an understatement.
Technically, he had two NHL games with Nashville at one point. So this was his fourth game if you generously include the three shifts against the Caps as one. He was played on the fourth line with Bourque and Kerfoot, one of whom is a fringe NHLer and the other is exhausted in his first full pro season after college and hasn't registered a point in at least 10 games.

Reactions: cgf

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully this guy is trolling, or else we have a really clueless hockey fan. Kamenev is 21, and has only played one NHL game, can we give him more than 10 shifts before we call him a bust?

No, but see, in the modern NHL if you're not as fast as MacKinnon and demonstrate that in your first NHL game, you're going to be a bust. It's obvious!

;)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Technically, he had two NHL games with Nashville at one point. So this was his fourth game if you generously include the three shifts against the Caps as one. He was played on the fourth line with Bourque and Kerfoot, one of whom is a fringe NHLer and the other is exhausted in his first full pro season after college and hasn't registered a point in at least 10 games.

Don't disagree with any of that, all true. But I said his first game back from his injury, not first game ever ;)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes or I have to admit I was little drunk. Sorry about that;)
I love the trade for now atleast. Kamenev looked slow though. Le
t's hope he can get faster down the line.

Everything seems a bit slower when you're drunk...
Kamenev isn't slow at all and played some solid 10mins with crap linemates who did little except turning over pucks. For him, this season is just about finding his game again. He's a rookie coming back from a terrible injury. Before he got injured, he played less than 25mins in the NHL. If he manages to climb up to 3C until the end of the season then I'm gonna be super happy. Nobody expected Kamenec to have an impact in his 1st NHL game. He had a chance on a breakaway though and got stopped illegally (how I saw it at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia