Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, he has some pretty interesting things to say. I can't remember what the topic was but he said his coach in L.A. was a "goddamn lunatic," I'm assuming he's referring to Terry Murray.

EDIT: Well, it was either Murray or our old pal Marc Crawford.
Yeah, he provides a lot of funny perspectives from his playing days that are interesting to listen to.

He has been tearing Scott Darling to shreds this entire season and went on another rant today, too. Can't say I disagree, though.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Last thing I'll say about Duchene (for now). I can't help but wonder if he'll end up kinda like Petr Nedved. Nedved was always a very talented player, drafted high and produced well, but he was never a featured player on championship teams, and sort of went from team to team, and he never got a real shot at the big prize (get this--he was traded by the Canucks the year before they made the SCF (1993) to St. Louis, and traded to the Rangers the year AFTER they won that very same SCF (1994). A lot of people likely don't even remember him, but he was a hell of a player. I certainly don't wish that fate on Matty but I could see it happening.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, he provides a lot of funny perspectives from his playing days that are interesting to listen to.

He has been tearing Scott Darling to shreds this entire season and went on another rant today, too. Can't say I disagree, though.

I completely agree with that. I was going to suggest in here that the Avs consider getting a pick to take that contract off their hands, but then I watched him last night against the Rangers. Yeah, no, I'm no goalie expert but it's almost as if he's not seeing the puck at all. He didn't even react on a bad-angled unscreened shot from Vesey, who has a decent wrister but it wasn't a cannon or anything.

I didn't hear it, but there is something to the pressure being off and Duchene scoring again.

I'm not willing to go there quite yet...we will see what he does next season, wherever that may be.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yea it says the team was in the west, pretty likely it was Vegas. Not sure if they can still trade for him though. They already lost their 2018 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Any Karlsson deal is going to cost a lot in futures. Vegas already doesn’t have a ton of prospect capital since they only have one draft worth of prospects in the system. Might not be the best idea for an expansion franchise, even one that’s doing so well.

Oh it was a mistake for sure. This nice run that Vegas is on, isn't a benchmark for future seasons. I very much believe they are on a similar run as the New Jersey Devils going all the way to the Cup Finals in 2012. I predicted back then that it was a mirage and that they were set to come crashing down (which they did).

There's a ton of players overachieving on that Vegas team this year...I don't think it's sustainable. If we make the playoffs, I actually prefer to play them over anyone else because I think they are primed for a 1st round exit.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Oh it was a mistake for sure. This nice run that Vegas is on, isn't a benchmark for future seasons. I very much believe they are on a similar run as the New Jersey Devils going all the way to the Cup Finals in 2012. I predicted back then that it was a mirage and that they were set to come crashing down (which they did).

There's a ton of players overachieving on that Vegas team this year...I don't think it's sustainable. If we make the playoffs, I actually prefer to play them over anyone else because I think they are primed for a 1st round exit.
Definitely agreed they’re the team to play in the first round. If they could reverse the Tatar trade and use those pieces + others to get Karlsson + Ryan however, I would’ve liked that from their end. This is a league where you need elite talent to really compete, and they don’t look like they’re going to be drafting high enough to get it. Karlsson would’ve been sweet in Vegas. Tough to say how they look next year, you’re right they’re probably the biggest candidate for regression.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Last thing I'll say about Duchene (for now). I can't help but wonder if he'll end up kinda like Petr Nedved. Nedved was always a very talented player, drafted high and produced well, but he was never a featured player on championship teams, and sort of went from team to team, and he never got a real shot at the big prize (get this--he was traded by the Canucks the year before they made the SCF (1993) to St. Louis, and traded to the Rangers the year AFTER they won that very same SCF (1994). A lot of people likely don't even remember him, but he was a hell of a player. I certainly don't wish that fate on Matty but I could see it happening.

Hey he did score one of the most famous playoff OT goals in the 90s, thats something

looking at his stats...ouch 99 pts heh i bet he lost a couple hundred grand not getting to the century mark

I think Dutchy is gonna make his mark on the international stage, World Championships , World Cups and such

Reactions: Pokecheque

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know where the pressure thing is coming from... he's only played in a few po games and was playing injured in the Wild series. He has consistency issues but if I remeber correctly everyone on this team sucked when it was really crunch time in 15 and 16 including Landy, RoR, mack ... pretty much all the "core" pieces back then

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I completely agree with that. I was going to suggest in here that the Avs consider getting a pick to take that contract off their hands, but then I watched him last night against the Rangers. Yeah, no, I'm no goalie expert but it's almost as if he's not seeing the puck at all. He didn't even react on a bad-angled unscreened shot from Vesey, who has a decent wrister but it wasn't a cannon or anything.

I'm not willing to go there quite yet...we will see what he does next season, wherever that may be.
I've been anti-Darling for a long, long time now. Nothing personally against him since from all accounts, he's a fantastic dude off the ice. But he's not an NHL goaltender. You don't anoint a 28 year old with 75 career NHL games to his name your starting goaltender by signing him to a contract for 4 years and 4.15M per season.

From the very beginning, that was going to be disastrous.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was under the impression that the Golden Knights were in the same boat as the Sabres a couple seasons ago--they had stockpiled so many draft picks that they kinda HAD to dump some in an overpayment simply because they couldn't possibly use them all and also stay under the 50-contract limit.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I was under the impression that the Golden Knights were in the same boat as the Sabres a couple seasons ago--they had stockpiled so many draft picks that they kinda HAD to dump some in an overpayment simply because they couldn't possibly use them all and also stay under the 50-contract limit.
They currently hold 7/11/9 for the next three drafts. This year it is their own 2nd and two in each of the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds. Next year they have all their own, plus an extra 2nd and 5th, and two extra 3rds. In 2020, they have all their own plus two 2nds.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
To be fair to Duchene, even if he had been scoring instead of slumping, that team would still be in the basement. Their goaltending's been dreadful and their roster is a patchwork of complementary players outside of Karlsson, who was also slumping.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
To be fair to Duchene, even if he had been scoring instead of slumping, that team would still be in the basement. Their goaltending's been dreadful and their roster is a patchwork of complementary players outside of Karlsson, who was also slumping.

They have some very good forwards like Stone or Hoffman. Plus, they were 7-3-5 before the trade. Small sample size but that guy Turris had 9 in 11. Duchene needs to outscore Turris in order to be more valuable. Not saying that they would have made the playoffs but last season and their record until the trade indicate that they had a chance. They easily could have upgraded their goaltending, too.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They have some very good forwards like Stone or Hoffman. Plus, they were 7-3-5 before the trade. Small sample size but that guy Turris had 9 in 11. Duchene needs to outscore Turris in order to be more valuable. Not saying that they would have made the playoffs but last season and their record until the trade indicate that they had a chance. They easily could have upgraded their goaltending, too.
All true, but none of that is Dutchy's fault. If Ottawa had given up just Bowers, 1st, 3rd, Hammond for Duchene, it would have been a good deal, but they overplayed their hand and included Turris in the deal to seal it, and that's where the downfall for Dorion was.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Kamenev will probably need a bit of time to fully adjust to the NHL but I really liked what I saw yesterday. He brings a nice mix of defensive awareness (looked a bit too much like a defenseman at times), vision, passing, physicality and size. I especially liked his calm presence. Might become a pretty good player.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was always one of Duchene's biggest supporters but reflecting back now, I think there was some stuff going on in that locker room with him that we just didn't know about. This is just my personal theory but:

It almost seems as though Duchene thought he the team's best player and that the Avs were HIS team and expected the team to follow him though the rest of the team didn't think he was that guy and it created a big giant mess, chemistry-wise.

How else can we explain what we've seen this season? Not only to US but to the Ottawa Senators ?

I really like Girard and I think he's given us another dimension on our back-end but he's the only roster player we got from that trade and while he helps, I don't think he's solely responsible for what we've seen this season. How come we didn't crumble when one of Barrie, MacKinnon, Varly or EJ went down like we used to?

Trading Duchene was like taking your foot off of someone's head who's drowning (and then putting it on Pierre Dorion's head who's treading water besides the first guy).

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I was always one of Duchene's biggest supporters but reflecting back now, I think there was some stuff going on in that locker room with him that we just didn't know about. This is just my personal theory but:

It almost seems as though Duchene thought he the team's best player and that the Avs were HIS team and expected the team to follow him though the rest of the team didn't think he was that guy and it created a big giant mess, chemistry-wise.

How else can we explain what we've seen this season? Not only to US but to the Ottawa Senators ?

I really like Girard and I think he's given us another dimension on our back-end but he's the only roster player we got from that trade and while he helps, I don't think he's solely responsible for what we've seen this season. How come we didn't crumble when one of Barrie, MacKinnon, Varly or EJ went down like we used to?

Trading Duchene was like taking your foot off of someone's head who's drowning (and then putting it on Pierre Dorion's head who's treading water besides the first guy).

I think the change in surviving without key players had to do with the culture change but Duchene was only a small part of it. Getting rid of the grumpy old men was bigger than Duchene imo. Even the core has stated that there was a divide in the locker room and now with Mack, Lando, EJ, Barrie taking over this year the team has really banded together and become very close. So when one guy goes down other players pick it up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ottawa is a point away from being 6th in the draft order. We may actually be approaching the possibility of us picking this year if the TSN guys are onto anything with their thought of Ottawa possibly letting us pick. Especially if a team below them leapfrogs them in the lottery.

Reactions: cgf

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Ottawa is a point away from being 6th in the draft order. We may actually be approaching the possibility of us picking this year if the TSN guys are onto anything with their thought of Ottawa possibly letting us pick. Especially if a team below them leapfrogs them in the lottery.

Even though I've been saying that I trust we get ~5th overall pick next year if they don't hand the pick to us this year, I'd also be very glad to have a ~7th overall in this upcoming draft.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I hope the Avs get that pick next year. I don't see Ottawa improving, and I like our chances at a top 5 pick. Anderson isn't going to steal a season for them. Karlsson could be leaving. There are huge problems in the organization, and not just with the team. They have staff problems in other parts of the organization.

The ultimate outcome is Sakic giving stone an offer sheet, and Ottawa drafts too 3 next year. Might be asking for too much tho.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It's interesting what he thinks of " good team".

I've tried my best to not pay any attention to Duchene since he was traded, for some rather obvious reasons (being that I soured hard on him well before he was dealt), but I'm going to give him a pass on this quote (shocking, I know). Ottawa is a team that should have, on paper, been in much better position than they are now. The season went off the rails, hard, for them, and if they do end up trading Karlsson in the summer (which I suspect they do), that's when I find it hard to believe they'll be much better next season. May not be giving up the #1 overall pick, if they defer like I believe they will, but I'm not sure it's going to be a drastically better season where they're not surrendering a Top-10/12 pick.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I was always one of Duchene's biggest supporters but reflecting back now, I think there was some stuff going on in that locker room with him that we just didn't know about.

edBQBeJ.gif

NOW, to be fair, he wasn't an issue in the sense that he was a total douche and a dickhead or anything like that. But the last 2ish seasons before he was finally traded this year was when I started hearing some things that were..."concerning".

Again, nothing like some of the typical stuff that surrounds people who have the label "locker room cancer", nothing I ever became privy to described him as some sort of horrible/dishonorable person or anything. It was always more of a "there's a disconnect there, and he doesn't really fit-in in the locker room. He's not 'boys' with anyone, if that makes sense?" was a phrase I'd heard on more than one occasion. I'm sure there is more to the story than even I began to catch wind of. But let's just call it like it is--the time came for the Avalanche and Matt Duchene to separate, for the betterment of the Avs (and possibly for Duchene as well). And given how our season has turned out, I can't say that the decision was an incorrect one.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
No way Duchene resigns in Ottawa imo. I bet he puts up 60+ next year though and earns himself a nice contract.

EDIT: I meant to say 50+ but was in a hurry this morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad