Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I don't know looked really slow to me. Well we can make new observations tonight. I have big hopes for him because I liked him a lot in the junior championships.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Only thing that's slightly holding him back could be (I assume) his ability to be a constant shooting threat or lack there of... Just an assumption nothing more though, he has 7 games and 8 points which is great but none of them are goals. Reminds me of Granlund before his breakout years, he only seemed to score when he got a terribly juicy rebound on a half empty net And like Granlund added good shooting ability and mentality to his arsenal, so will Kamenev when he's nurtured in the right direction

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Right back at you.
I mean we've all been talking about many months now how good was the return. And all we really have now is Girard. Kamenev is the second "ready" player. And he didn't look good. Now I understand why Nashville didn't want him to play last spring though there were lot of injuries in their line up. Sure we have picks and Bowers but nobody knows how those assets will turn up. And in the need of that second line center I'm starting this thought that we actually lost that trade. Too early? Yeah I know but was really disapointing too see Kamenev.

One woud think that just our place in the standings with virtually the same lineup would tell you otherwise.

For me, I always looked at the Duchene trade this way in terms of value from best to worst :

#1 - Girard, D
#2 - 2018/19 1st rd pick (OTT)
#3 - Bowers, C
#4 - Kamenev, C
#5 - 2018 2nd rd pick (NSH)
#6 - 2019 3rd rd pick (OTT)
#7 - Hammond, G

I am a big fan of Bowers and I had him ranked 17th overall prior to last year's draft but the Ottawa 1st rounder this year or next has a good chance to be a very good player as well based on the strength of those drafts alone. So for me Kamenev is the 4th best piece in that trade and it would be great if he turned out to be a good middle-6 player with a strong 2-way game but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. He's a bit like Grigorenko in the ROR deal (without all the red flags) in the sense that if he turns out to be anything positive then it's just a bonus.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Only thing that's slightly holding him back could be (I assume) his ability to be a constant shooting threat or lack there of... Just an assumption nothing more though, he has 7 games and 8 points which is great but none of them are goals. Reminds me of Granlund before his breakout years, he only seemed to score when he got a terribly juicy rebound on a half empty net And like Granlund added good shooting ability and mentality to his arsenal, so will Kamenev when he's nurtured in the right direction

Small sample size. He's a dangerous sniper and scores lots of goals for playmaking Center. He always did. That's why he's often on the blueline for PP's. However, probably not easy if you have to learn it all over again after a broken arm. Shooting is a confidence thing. He'll figure it out.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I don't know looked really slow to me. Well we can make new observations tonight. I have big hopes for him because I liked him a lot in the junior championships.

TBF fair he got beat in a foot race at one point and it looked pretty bad. What you might’ve missed though is that it was Larkin that caught him and I’m pretty sure he was at the end of a shift to boot. Not to mention, having just been brought back by a conditioning stint in the AHL.

He’ll be fine, give him a week or two to adjust and hopefully he hits his stride before playoffs.

Reactions: McMetal

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
TBF fair he got beat in a foot race at one point and it looked pretty bad. What you might’ve missed though is that it was Larkin that caught him and I’m pretty sure he was at the end of a shift to boot. Not to mention, having just been brought back by a conditioning stint in the AHL.

He’ll be fine, give him a week or two to adjust and hopefully he hits his stride before playoffs.

Wasn't that a foul play? I didn't check but while watching the game it looked like a clear foul to me...

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Wasn't that a foul play? I didn't check but while watching the game it looked like a clear foul to me...

IIRC Kamenev knew he was going to get caught and tried to shield the puck from Larkin with his body which made it look more like a hook/hold than it really was.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
One woud think that just our place in the standings with virtually the same lineup would tell you otherwise.

For me, I always looked at the Duchene trade this way in terms of value from best to worst :

#1 - Girard, D
#2 - 2018/19 1st rd pick (OTT)
#3 - Bowers, C
#4 - Kamenev, C
#5 - 2018 2nd rd pick (NSH)
#6 - 2019 3rd rd pick (OTT)
#7 - Hammond, G

I am a big fan of Bowers and I had him ranked 17th overall prior to last year's draft but the Ottawa 1st rounder this year or next has a good chance to be a very good player as well based on the strength of those drafts alone. So for me Kamenev is the 4th best piece in that trade and it would be great if he turned out to be a good middle-6 player with a strong 2-way game but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. He's a bit like Grigorenko in the ROR deal (without all the red flags) in the sense that if he turns out to be anything positive then it's just a bonus.

I agree with your ranking, but depending on the Sens draft pick, maybe consider flipping positions with Girard.

Fortunately, it doesn’t matter on ranking the individual return since the AVs still won the overall trade.

:D

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Point-wise Girard had a rough start with the Avs but he now has 5 pts in the last 13 games which is a 32 pts pace over an 82-game season. He is shooting a lot more and that is translating on the scoreboard while still being quite reliable defensively. I would be surprised if he doesn't hit 40 next year. I'm really happy with him so far.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Point-wise Girard had a rough start with the Avs but he now has 5 pts in the last 13 games which is a 32 pts pace over an 82-game season. He is shooting a lot more and that is translating on the scoreboard while still being quite reliable defensively. I would be surprised if he doesn't hit 40 next year. I'm really happy with him so far.

At this point, Girard is pretty inconsistent with this offense. Normal for a young kid adjusting to the NHL, but 40 would be a massive jump. In that stretch of 13 games, he had 3 and 4 game stretches without points, and the 7 games prior he was pointless. He is a promising kid, but he's got a ways to go offensively.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At this point, Girard is pretty inconsistent with this offense. Normal for a young kid adjusting to the NHL, but 40 would be a massive jump. In that stretch of 13 games, he had 3 and 4 game stretches without points, and the 7 games prior he was pointless. He is a promising kid, but he's got a ways to go offensively.

Especially without 1st unit PP time, and our second unit being so meh.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I like Girard and think he’ll put up decent numbers in the NHL, but I don’t think he’ll ever surpass Barrie numbers. I think he becomes a good PMD who’s capable of ~40 points a year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Especially without 1st unit PP time, and our second unit being so meh.

Agreed. Improving the 2nd PP would improve Girard's numbers, but I can't see 40.

I like Girard and think he’ll put up decent numbers in the NHL, but I don’t think he’ll ever surpass Barrie numbers. I think he becomes a good PMD who’s capable of ~40 points a year.

I agree with that, and providing some solid defense along with it too. I do think people get a bit caught up in his flash (which he has a ton of) and thinking it will directly translate to offense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Need more hot takeis in this thread.

shutterstock_176156327.jpg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yes I agree it is a good jump but as you said he is adjusting to the NHL and if he keeps shooting like he is doing now it is doable. He is also jumping into the play a lot more. If he doesn't hit 40 he will be very close IMO. Regardless the offense is coming around which bodes well for the team and with regard to the trade as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah expecting Girard to reach Barrie levels of Offense is optimistic to put it mildly. You have to look at the numbers Barrie has put up and realize just how few Dmen in the league are capable of having those kind of seasons offensively.

If Girard became a regular ~40 point Dman with a couple 45 point seasons in his best years, that would be quite good. I also like Girards Defensive upside a lot more then Barrie and think that he could turn into a pretty solid 2-way Defender, similar in mold to what Jared Spurgeon has become for the Wild.

I still think if the Avs had traded Duchene and the only return was Girard, it would still be a trade that in a few years from now will look pretty good for the Avs. Anything else out of that trade is just icing on the cake for me.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Girard becomes a 40 pts, defensively responsible dman it's a big win. That's Ryan Ellis territory.

Reactions: cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah expecting Girard to reach Barrie levels of Offense is optimistic to put it mildly. You have to look at the numbers Barrie has put up and realize just how few Dmen in the league are capable of having those kind of seasons offensively.

If Girard became a regular ~40 point Dman with a couple 45 point seasons in his best years, that would be quite good. I also like Girards Defensive upside a lot more then Barrie and think that he could turn into a pretty solid 2-way Defender, similar in mold to what Jared Spurgeon has become for the Wild.

I still think if the Avs had traded Duchene and the only return was Girard, it would still be a trade that in a few years from now will look pretty good for the Avs. Anything else out of that trade is just icing on the cake for me.

Enstrom is another that comes to mind, but it's obviously more past tense.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree with that, and providing some solid defense along with it too. I do think people get a bit caught up in his flash (which he has a ton of) and thinking it will directly translate to offense.

He doesn’t shoot enough or have a good enough shot to really increase his scoring IMO. Now he’s only 19 and that could improve to be fair.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nobody said anything about getting Barrie's number. My projection has nothing to do with his flash and all to do with the way he is adjusting his play lately.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Girard hasn't shown he can consistently make the quick, correct plays in the offensive zone. He holds on to the puck a lot but it doesn't open up ice for others.

He's not ready to take on the Barrie role but he's just 19. Playing 16-17 minutes with second PP time and getting 25 points is impressive in itself but he's far from having this NHL thing figured out.

Reactions: Oxymoron and cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad