Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bonino was brought in to be the 2C behind RyJo because his injury probably cost them the cup. Everybody could tell that wouldn't go well for them, because the HBK line was just chemistry magic and not really because Bonino was a good offensive driver, but at the time they signed him, he would have been their 2C. Now we know that they were heavily in on Turris and the whole Duchene deal, and now Turris is that missing piece down the middle and Bonino is back to being the 3C where he belongs.

For a team in the middle of a giant win-now push, breaking in a rookie middle six C while you're playing in the toughest division in hockey is just not a risk they were willing to take. The clock is ticking on their window for a cup with that D and every game counts. I can see why they were ready to go sign Bonino and trade for Turris rather than roll the dice on their promising-but-unproven prospect. The Avs are in a position to try a bunch of youngsters and see what shakes out. Nashville isn't. It has nothing to do with their evaluation of him, they just didn't have the time to wait for him to be an impact player. Luckily, we do, and I think he's going to get there soon.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm curious if they give Kamenev a look the rest of the year. I'm sure they want to, but these games are so important they might not want to put him in that situation. Ideally he would have gone through his NHL test earlier in the year when he broke his arm.

I'd say the fact that they only sent him down on a conditioning assignment proves they will be. None of the younger players have really stepped up at C in their role outside of Toninato anyways. So I don't really see what's blocking him. Even winning games those two lower lines are always a complete blender.

I actually would imagine Bednar is looking forward to another option to try.

Reactions: Hinterland and cgf

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'd say the fact that they only sent him down on a conditioning assignment proves they will be. None of the younger players have really stepped up at C in their role outside of Toninato anyways. So I don't really see what's blocking him. Even winning games those two lower lines are always a complete blender.

I actually would imagine Bednar is looking forward to another option to try.

I agree. His pressers after the most recent games were very telling. He clearly didn't like the last few games and seemed super happy when he got Andrighetto back.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bonino was brought in to be the 2C behind RyJo because his injury probably cost them the cup. Everybody could tell that wouldn't go well for them, because the HBK line was just chemistry magic and not really because Bonino was a good offensive driver, but at the time they signed him, he would have been their 2C. Now we know that they were heavily in on Turris and the whole Duchene deal, and now Turris is that missing piece down the middle and Bonino is back to being the 3C where he belongs.

For a team in the middle of a giant win-now push, breaking in a rookie middle six C while you're playing in the toughest division in hockey is just not a risk they were willing to take. The clock is ticking on their window for a cup with that D and every game counts. I can see why they were ready to go sign Bonino and trade for Turris rather than roll the dice on their promising-but-unproven prospect. The Avs are in a position to try a bunch of youngsters and see what shakes out. Nashville isn't. It has nothing to do with their evaluation of him, they just didn't have the time to wait for him to be an impact player. Luckily, we do, and I think he's going to get there soon.

While this isn't wrong, Jarnkrok is totally garbage at Center so they had an open spot at Center. Sissons can also play on the Wing. They didn't have a problem with playing three plugs and a useless player like Aberg so they really should have given Kamenev at least a chance to show what he can do. It's mindboggling that a player of his quality still hardly played in the NHL aged 21. He probably could have played last season already.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm really hoping his face off ability translates to the NHL. Having a guy who is actually good at it usually helps the other centers on the roster as well.

Does anyone know if the AHL also went to a more strict face off rule like the NHL?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I feel like if Yak was drafted to any other organization besides the Oilers he'd be at least a 20/20 player. Such a waste of talent, I think it's time for him to head back to the KHL though. Spend a few years developing and have a second crack when he's a bit more mature.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Duchy has an A for the sens right now? I'm kind of surprised they're giving it to him this early

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ottawa's forward core could be pretty damn good next season if their kids come in & energize everyone like ours did; especially since those kids should respond to Boucher better than the vets who started to tune him out. So I get why Melnyk is deluding himself into thinking that "younger, faster" can work for them as well.

Hoffman - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Brown - Stone
Formenton - Pageau - Ryan|Gaborik
Burrows - Smith - Batherson

With the chemistry Dutchy n Hoff have established, I can see White have a great rookie season as their third wheel. With a top line to play behind and Stone on his wing, I can see a good rookie year out of Brown. And the bottom 6 would look nice if Gaborik or Ryan's corpses could successfully platoon a spot...but 1 big problem in your bottom 6 isn't crippling since that ain't happening.

Their blueline could add Dahlin, have a big second season from Chabot, see Ceci get his s*** together, and still have issues if EK is traded; but I lowkey really like that forward core as long as Anderson bounces back or Gus can push for the job. Even that blueline isn't eternally unsalvageable. Their 2018 1st, Chabot, Ceci, & Harpur/Claesson/Wideman isn't the worst place to start their post-Karlsson life...especially if they're smart and don't cripple EK's trade value by tying Ryan's contract around its neck.

I think that's the most optimistic outlook and more likely than not, 2 or maybe even 3 of those rookies won't be ready. I've never been a huge Colin White fan, he's still young but seems like he could use some more seasoning in the AHL. Brown, Batherson and Formenton are all 2o and under...I think Formenton has the best shot at that roster next season but it's probably going to be in a 3rd line role. There's a ton of risk there and as we've seen with the Avs, it doesn't really matter how good your forwards are, if your defense is horrid, you ain't goin' nowhere!

Yeah, a non factor and look at where that team is. They trade him, it's going to be a complete rebuild. They won't have anyone to play defence. Not only that, but in a down year he's still 2nd on the team in scoring.

They'll suck if he gets traded. They don't have the luxury of copying us by getting rid of the old stuff and starting over with youth. All of their old players still have contracts for next season. Ryan, Gaborik, Burrows, Pyatt, McCormick, Borowiecki, and Anderson all have contracts. Not to mention they have to re-sign Stone and Ceci.

That team isn't going to do anything next season.

Agreed. They are going to need help on D :

Borowiecki - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Claesson - Wideman
Harpur

Without Karlsson, it's going to be even worse. I won't be surprised if Melnyk + Dorion give up the pick this year if it's outside the Top-5...they'll rationalize it like they did when they said they knew they could get a deal done for Duchene if the Avs switched to Bowers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting point about Turris. What's going on there? He was lighting it up when he first arrived in Nashville - just a 46 point pace over 82 games on that club?

He was cold for most of late Jan to mid February.... he has 7 points in his last 10 and overall on a 50 point pace over 82. Down a bit from his normal pacing, but not terribly far off either. A 2-3 point game or two and he will be right back where he is supposed to be. Even with Duchene's recent improvement... he's still only on a 54 point pace on the season...I know Sens fans are trying to see positives, but this is about what was expected. Gaining 5ish points offensively and being more dynamic, while giving up some defense and all around play.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I also don't think Nashville is using Turris to his fullest extent. He's got one hell of a shot, but the Preds already have more than a couple players with great one-timers so I can see why he wouldn't be deployed like that.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Ryan with some comments in the Ottawa sun today that he and Karlsson thought a trade was completed on Sunday (before the deadline) and that they were getting ready to pack up before one of the two teams backed out at the last minute. I really think Karlsson will be traded this summer which would be great for that 2019 pick. He’s an irreplaceable kind of dman.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ryan with some comments in the Ottawa sun today that he and Karlsson thought a trade was completed on Sunday (before the deadline) and that they were getting ready to pack up before one of the two teams backed out at the last minute. I really think Karlsson will be traded this summer which would be great for that 2019 pick. He’s an irreplaceable kind of dman.
Interesting. Since Ryan was included it was more than likely Vegas.

Bobby Ryan’s days in Ottawa are likely numbered – and he’s handling it like a pro

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What's surprising is Vegas came this close to make the trade at the deadline but didn't leave the door open for this summer because of the Tatar trade. I doubt they can land EK now that they have traded all those picks...with Vegas (Tatar) and Tampa (McDonagh) out of the market I really don't know what's left on the table for Dorion.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Interesting. Since Ryan was included it was more than likely Vegas.
Yea it says the team was in the west, pretty likely it was Vegas. Not sure if they can still trade for him though. They already lost their 2018 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Any Karlsson deal is going to cost a lot in futures. Vegas already doesn’t have a ton of prospect capital since they only have one draft worth of prospects in the system. Might not be the best idea for an expansion franchise, even one that’s doing so well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Patrick O'Sullivan ripped into Dutchy pretty good on NHL Radio, wondering why he waited until garbage time to pile up points.
Lmao I heard that, too. "Yeah nobody cares what you're doing now in garbage time. You asked for a trade, embarrassed your teammates and yourself, got your trade, then did nothing for two months. Nobody cares that you're up to 21 goals."

I'm generally not a fan of POS, but he has grown on me over the last few months. Not just because of this Duchene comment, either. He also seems to be a pretty big fan of the Avs. He thinks we'll get in ahead of the teams chasing us.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not like he did it on purpose. That's pretty damn dumb.

Agreed. I don't mind Laughlin and him for entertainment purposes, mainly because he's a pretty testy guy who has some extreme opinions.

Overall I just feel kinda bad for Duchene. On one hand, yes, he wanted out and was dealt to the team he wanted to go to. On the other hand he couldn't have known the utter shitshow he was heading into.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lmao I heard that, too. "Yeah nobody cares what you're doing now in garbage time. You asked for a trade, embarrassed your teammates and yourself, got your trade, then did nothing for two months. Nobody cares that you're up to 21 goals."

I'm generally not a fan of POS, but he has grown on me over the last few months. Not just because of this Duchene comment, either. He also seems to be a pretty big fan of the Avs. He thinks we'll get in ahead of the teams chasing us.

Yeah, he has some pretty interesting things to say. I can't remember what the topic was but he said his coach in L.A. was a "goddamn lunatic," I'm assuming he's referring to Terry Murray.

EDIT: Well, it was either Murray or our old pal Marc Crawford.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What's surprising is Vegas came this close to make the trade at the deadline but didn't leave the door open for this summer because of the Tatar trade. I doubt they can land EK now that they have traded all those picks...with Vegas (Tatar) and Tampa (McDonagh) out of the market I really don't know what's left on the table for Dorion.

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad