Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He really has been a revelation. I never thought much of him at all in minnesota (as with most of their players), but like you said he's just a perfect fit in a lot of ways - some I think we probably didn't see coming.

The physicality is key ofc. His skating is obviously really good which is the base of a player we like. I think his puck handling and decision making have been eye opening though, in this short sample. He's not a top 6 guy but he's impressed me with some of his plays with the puck, a couple great examples being his passes to Mittelstadt (touch pass at the line vs. flames, protect/drop pass a couple games ago vs rangers). Seems like a great teammate too.

Biggest thing for him is that Bednar seems to already trust him to play above his slot. I doubt any of us want him on the 2nd line as we get healthy, but I suspect there's a chance he's got some smidgen of untapped potential to be a bit more than the 4RW warm body we paid for.
Ya this guy is another pro-scouting win.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bo just accepted a challenge to fight after a hit. Maybe he should have just skated away, but he's just answering the bell like countless players have before. It's not a case of him thinking he's tough or anything. They're friends and he didn't even want to fight at first.

“I honestly didn’t even think about it until after the game when I saw him,” Veleno said. “I said, ‘I’m sorry for giving you a couple of those punches in the back of the head a little bit."

“He’s a friend of mine, too. I played with him (on Canada’s 2020 World Junior team)"

"I looked up, there was no arm in the air (from a referee) and then kind of went up to him and asked if he wanted to go. At first, he kind of laid back and I didn’t really get an answer. We were kind of chit-chatting and then we dropped ‘em."

“We saw each other after the game and it’s all OK.”
Veleno is a good guy

Reactions: jabubenice

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Throwing out the possibility that both teams lost the trade...
I have confidence that Calum Ritchie will eventually ease the pain of a whiff here on a 2C.

Maybe an off-season changes things, but I have been underwhelmed with Mittlestadt. I don't like his game either. It seems like he plays a soft game and he doesn't impact games like you want from a top 6 forward and 2C.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Like I said in the GDT, it seems to be a conditioning and speed issue.

Dude will have to work hard next summer if he wants a future with the Avs.

He wants to play a slow east-west game...that isn't going to happen under Bednar.

The good news is Drouin used to be like that too.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
To this day, Mitss has not played with the same 2 wingers for two games in a row. Before we get the pitchforks and torches out, let's allow him a proper training camp and off-season. What he has shown is a very high hockey IQ and sublime passing. He is coming from a system that could not be more different than the Avs.

I've only been here for 8 years or so, but I still cannot recall a single trade (or FA acquisition) in which this forum was pleased.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
To this day, Mitss has not played with the same 2 wingers for two games in a row. Before we get the pitchforks and torches out, let's allow him a proper training camp and off-season. What he has shown is a very high hockey IQ and sublime passing. He is coming from a system that could not be more different than the Avs.

I've only been here for 8 years or so, but I still cannot recall a single trade (or FA acquisition) in which this forum was pleased.
Does that mean we should be calling him Newchene instead?

• Haha
Reactions: Snow Arc

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Best to evaluate Mitts next season. Some players take time to adjust and so far he has played with different wingers game to game.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Can't tell if he needs more games to adjust or is just a bad fit. How do you allocate significant cap to him at this point?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mittelstadt was fine yesterday. 55% corsi on ice, 8-2 shots for, on for a goal, 0 against, 5 chances for to 4 against, 3 high danger chances to 0 against.

He disappeared in the 3rd like the rest of the team but he did everything you could hope for out of a 2C yesterday.

Keep that 2nd line together against Edmonton. They seemed to build a little chemistry yesterday.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mittelstadt has been fine, but I think people are expecting too much from him. He's a player who has elite skills, but is not an elite player himself. It's the same reason why I wasn't calling this trade amazing by any stretch because Casey has brilliant playmaking ability, but tends to disappear too much at times in games. I still like him, but don't expect anything higher than a PPG season out of him (at the very best) because he was overrated during his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad