Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
We've seen flashes of Nuke becoming a pure sniper. His shot has become pretty high level. He gets better every year too. He's on a 44 goal pace this year and a fair amount of those are snipes.

If Val can try to work on finding the soft spots in the circle and the slot area more often, in addition to his forecheck, and develop some chemistry with Mitts, he may be able to find him with some nice passes, but we'll have to see if he can do both consistently.
Yeah I noticed that too. Val can do it all if he wants to. He seems like a perfect power forward. Can deflect pucks, can stand in front of the net, can pass and has a good shot to snipe goals. Why did Dallas gave up on Nuke too soon.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I noticed that too. Val can do it all if he wants to. He seems like a perfect power forward. Can deflect pucks, can stand in front of the net, can pass and has a good shot to snipe goals. Why did Dallas gave up on Nuke too soon.
They actually gave him two chances, the second resulting in him scoring ZERO goals in 57 games. There's a reason the Avs initially got him dirt cheap, y'know.

I think where they went wrong in Dallas was thinking he'd be a superstar right off the bat. Didn't help when Jaromir Jagr publicly sang his praises. His second go-around I think was mostly hard feelings leftover between him and the organization, and Ruff not trusting him. Bednar appears to have started him out slow in a mostly-defensive role, and he grew from there.

All that said, I would not necessarily call him the "perfect power forward." The man, when he's on his game, is a forechecking monster who simply never loses puck battles, plays very well defensively, and can put the puck in the net by establishing a good net-front presence. But his shot and finish are not quite elite, his primary value is in creating space and possession for his linemates.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Like Casey’s game tonight. Good board work. Good passing. Still lacking that finishing play a little bit in terms of the pass and shot, but good game from him.
Having him play with consistent linemates for more than 2 games might help. Still say he'd be great with Lehky and Mikko, but with the injuries, that's not going to happen now.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

That’s all fine and dandy if he plays.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Casey ain’t it
Huh?

Did you see him break up multiple odd-man rushes by stealing pucks from players he was chasing twice? He made plenty of great plays to hold the puck in. He's dangling through people and putting perfect passes to players for shots that should be buried. It's game 13 or 14 on the Avs? He's one of the more noticeable players (for good plays) when I see him on the ice.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Like Casey’s game tonight. Good board work. Good passing. Still lacking that finishing play a little bit in terms of the pass and shot, but good game from him.
I continue to like his game but he needs to shoot more. I would rather him get the SOG than one to many passes that end up with an even worse chance.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Huh?

Did you see him break up multiple odd-man rushes by stealing pucks from players he was chasing twice? He made plenty of great plays to hold the puck in. He's dangling through people and putting perfect passes to players for shots that should be buried. It's game 13 or 14 on the Avs? He's one of the more noticeable players (for good plays) when I see him on the ice.
Agreed, I'm not sure if people are expecting too much, or letting their idea of what Bo "could be" skew their perception on this. It's clear there are things that he can work on still - some of it will likely come from more time being on the team. I think you've got to put a shoot first guy with him, or he will have to learn to be the shooter.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh gosh. This is bad to watch. Buffalo should never allow him to fight.

As others have said, this is just how Bo operates. He's a bit of a punk. Not sure you can take that out of his game, regardless of the obvious concerns.

This is why this trade should have been done last summer rather than a month ago imo

I don't think that trade was available in the summer. Buffalo hadn't yet decided what they were going to do with Mittelstadt and the Avs were clearly hoping like hell a cost-controlled asset like Johansen had enough left in him to carry the load.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bo just accepted a challenge to fight after a hit. Maybe he should have just skated away, but he's just answering the bell like countless players have before. It's not a case of him thinking he's tough or anything. They're friends and he didn't even want to fight at first.

“I honestly didn’t even think about it until after the game when I saw him,” Veleno said. “I said, ‘I’m sorry for giving you a couple of those punches in the back of the head a little bit."

“He’s a friend of mine, too. I played with him (on Canada’s 2020 World Junior team)"

"I looked up, there was no arm in the air (from a referee) and then kind of went up to him and asked if he wanted to go. At first, he kind of laid back and I didn’t really get an answer. We were kind of chit-chatting and then we dropped ‘em."

“We saw each other after the game and it’s all OK.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad