Value of: Availability Of Erik Karlsson

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Injuries, underwhelming play and eating up the a large portion of floundering team's salary cap will do that. You call it revisionist history, but in reality it's just people taking off the EK rose colored glasses and realizing he hasn't been himself since leaving Ottawa. Furthermore, now that fans have had a taste of Josh Norris and Stutzle in the NHL, of course they've change their mind. Don't be a idiot. It was a bad trade at the time and it's a bad trade now. Just because some people didn't realize it until now has no baring whether or not Wilson screwed the Sharks' future because he had a boner for Karlsson.
I call it revisionist history because it is. You are admitting it: "EK hasn't been himself since leaving Ottawa." "Now that fans have had a taste of Josh Norris and Stutzle" there you are doing it again. No one thought the Sharks would miss the playoffs and no one knew that their ping pong ball would get them the #3 pick. EK was a top 5 player in the NHL. It wasn't a bad trade at the time and you won't be able to find me one legit NHL analyst that said that they gave up too much when the trade went down. I doubt you could even find a post on this board saying that. You're going back two years and saying it was a bad trade with the benefit of hindsight. Then call me an idiot when you're doing exactly what I said you were. Get a dictionary.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is the only offer I think could actually make sense.

TB - EK, SJ 2nd 2022

SJ - Retain $2m AAV, Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde

This deal could actually happen imo

So the Sharks trade away the best player in the deal, retain more than anyone else has on term, pay a 2nd round pick, and add about 500k in cap dollars just to save three years on a deal? No, that's not a deal that could actually happen. The Sharks get nothing of worth to them out of a deal like that.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
This is the only offer I think could actually make sense.

TB - EK, SJ 2nd 2022

SJ - Retain $2m AAV, Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde

This deal could actually happen imo
EK for Johnson and Gourde is a deal that I would do. I wouldn’t retain $2M or add the 2nd.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Call me crazy but I’d take him on Edmonton

Bouchard + James Neal + More non expiring cap dumps (to balance money)

for

Erik Karlsson (zero retention) + 1st unprotected

Its only Bouchard because Karlsson would make his role kind of irrelevant I think and I want the unprotected first or no deal.

Sharks say no imo, but that’s a half decent starter offer.

Thats a fleece job by edmonton really lol but I bet there would be tons of edmonton fans who wouldn’t make this trade?

Count me in the ton that wouldn’t do this. Neal is half the cap hit for only a few years. Grabbing Karlsson would be crazy. Trading Bouchard to get him? Hell no

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if seattle turns out to be an old fashioned terrible expansion team, the sharks can maybe pay seattle to take him on. he'd help make a bad team interesting and giving him the keys to a bad team would i think help his game. but it would be a terrible move for seattle.

otherwise, the sharks should get used to it. he is going nowhere.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oh man. My reading comprehension is poor? Really? Read what I wrote (which you said in your post) and read what you wrote right under. It’s literally the same thing. The sharks aren’t paying to move him and people aren’t going to pay for him. It’s literally that simple. Now maybe you should stop talking about others reading comprehension when yours is lacking.

No, you said “teams aren’t going to pay what he’d cost” not the teams aren’t going to pay anything for him. The later is true of course. Many posters took issue with your original post that seemed to imply he’d come at a cost to acquire.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Literally just did. You'd hope that in 4-5 years San Jose is exiting a rebuild and you dont want a $9.5-11.5M bottom pairing D holding you out of the playoffs.
And who takes EK’s spot? Are we counting on Merkley to be ready or one of our prospects we draft? Who insulates our D so we don’t end up like the Oilers pre McDavid or the Sabres currently? How do we fill the other holes we have? You haven’t addressed shit.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And who takes EK’s spot? Are we counting on Merkley to be ready or one of our prospects we draft? Who insulates our D so we don’t end up like the Oilers pre McDavid or the Sabres currently? How do we fill the other holes we have? You haven’t addressed shit.
Who takes EKs spot when? Now? Who the hell cares for the next 3-4 years. Sign a veteran D for those years to get abused in those positions and keep insulating the young guys. Doesn't matter if you win because youll be a bottom feeder for those years regardless of who plays EKs minutes.

If youre talking about who takes his spot in 4-7 years? Any bottom pair D for 1/10th the cost because that's likely all he will be at that point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No not really. One bad season isn't a trend.
He hasn't played like his Ottawa days since he got there, his point totals have dropped for like 4 straight years and his body has taken a toll. I'd be pretty shocked if hes still a good top 4D in 4 years time.

He definitely could rebound as hes incredibly talented, but at his age and injury history I wouldn't bet on it.

FWIW that definitely wasnt a bad trade by SJ to aquire him, no one saw SJ being this bad this quickly or his drop in play

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenSeal

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He hasn't played like his Ottawa days since he got there, his point totals have dropped for like 4 straight years and his body has taken a toll. I'd be pretty shocked if hes still a good top 4D in 4 years time

No but looking at point totals conveniently ignores the injuries he did suffer. His point-per-game numbers were similar enough to his last year in Ottawa. The biggest difference in his game is that he's not trying to score goals like he used to. This season, he's been healthy. He's just not doing well in the system they implemented this year. The players he has hasn't been burying the chances he's generated. He's physically fine. He's probably not as aggressive as he previously has been by design. I think he'll bounce back next season without many issues unless they fire Boughner and try to implement a new system with significantly different priorities which would be difficult to do.

But outside of that, players aren't on some linear path when it comes to their production. They don't steadily rise, hit an age, and then steadily decline. That's not how it works, especially among elite players. They will have bad seasons from time to time but typically they bounce back especially at Karlsson's age. He will be fine and the Sharks aren't worried about moving him now and won't until either DW is shitcanned or Karlsson requests a trade. Both scenarios are significantly unlikely.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No but looking at point totals conveniently ignores the injuries he did suffer. His point-per-game numbers were similar enough to his last year in Ottawa. The biggest difference in his game is that he's not trying to score goals like he used to. This season, he's been healthy. He's just not doing well in the system they implemented this year. The players he has hasn't been burying the chances he's generated. He's physically fine. He's probably not as aggressive as he previously has been by design. I think he'll bounce back next season without many issues unless they fire Boughner and try to implement a new system with significantly different priorities which would be difficult to do.

But outside of that, players aren't on some linear path when it comes to their production. They don't steadily rise, hit an age, and then steadily decline. That's not how it works, especially among elite players. They will have bad seasons from time to time but typically they bounce back especially at Karlsson's age. He will be fine and the Sharks aren't worried about moving him now and won't until either DW is shitcanned or Karlsson requests a trade. Both scenarios are significantly unlikely.
Fair, I guess we just see his career going two different directions. Talk to you again in 4 years and we'll see ;)

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Count me in the ton that wouldn’t do this. Neal is half the cap hit for only a few years. Grabbing Karlsson would be crazy. Trading Bouchard to get him? Hell no

It did say “more NON expiring cap hits” and yeah I completely understand.. I just truly believe Karl would excel on the Oilers in a major way. Would suck to lose Bouchard but San Jose isn’t going to just dump Karl for a bunch of cap dumps, there has to be something enticing in there.

At least Karl can compete now.. not sure when Bouchard can help us in a meaningful way. How old is Mcdavid now?

Karlsson isn’t the best option for the Oilers I’m just a huge a fan and I am pretty sure he would do some major damage with MCD and DRAI. Revolutionary type stuff would happen.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
According to HFB he already is a broken down bottom pairing defenseman. Can't argue with logic like that.

Reactions: Slimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad