Line Combos: AV can't make lines

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Who exactly is replacing AV mid-season? Scott Arniel? Mark Messier? Some random NCAA coach?

I don't think a drastic move like that would happen until the summer, depending on how this team finishes out the second half of the season.

Pittsburgh fired their coach midseason in 2009....

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Mark Messier wouldnt be a terrible candidate. But their are some out there that could be hired. Keenan? Crawford? I really do like AV. I do. But he cant get the best out of this group. Its just like how I have been a huge Staal fan since day 1. First player jersey I ever bought. But sometimes you have to swallow that pride and realize father time has surpassed him.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
There has to be a breaking point eventually, no matter how drastic the move might be.

Hopefully it's before the deadline.. I don't want to be in a situation where we have to win 95% of the games in the last month of the season to sneak into the playoffs...

Honestly I'd rather not make the playoffs than be out in the first round... Gives old guys time to rest and we keep our first so we can finally get some talent in our prospect pool

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Need to trade the guys that play selfish soft and lazy games especially the ones that are paid huge $$$

Also dump the man to man defensive system.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Unless you are bringing in a coach who plays a system that the defense can actually play, it wont change much.

95% of the league plays a basic zone defense...

Does AV know something every other coach doesn't know? Why still play man to man? Our defense can't play it. Staal Boyle Klein girardi and to a lesser extent mcilrath and yandle get caught chasing forwards around

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Pittsburgh fired their coach midseason in 2009....

Yes, they fired Therrien who was doing a terrible job of managing their young talent, and they had Bylsma as an in-house replacement, who was doing well coaching WBS.

I don't think they're comparable situations.

95% of the league plays a basic zone defense...

Does AV know something every other coach doesn't know? Why still play man to man? Our defense can't play it. Staal Boyle Klein girardi and to a lesser extent mcilrath and yandle get caught chasing forwards around

The more successful possession teams focus on playing zone defense, while skating up the ice as a five-man unit. Nashville did this multiple times tonight with their defensemen leading the rush. We do not have that ability.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Yes, they fired Therrien who was doing a terrible job of managing their young talent, and they had Bylsma as an in-house replacement, who was doing well coaching WBS.

I don't think they're comparable situations.

The more successful possession teams focus on playing zone defense, while skating up the ice as a five-man unit. Nashville did this multiple times tonight with their defensemen leading the rush. We do not have that ability.
mcdonagh, yandle, and Boyle have shown that they can lead a rush... The zone system also means less skating for the slower guys girardi staal Klein mcilrath.

I think it's that simple

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hayes out, Etem in. Kreider to line 3. McIlrath remains a scratch.

Things I like - Hayes taking a seat for a game, Etem being in and not being on the 4th line, Nash being put back with Stepan, Miller in the top 6.

Things I hate with a passion - McIlrath sitting, Jesper Fast being a top line forward.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Well what should the defensive pairing be?

Girardi stinks, Staal is bad, Yandle works best with McI, Boyle helps the pp...

McD-who?
Yandle-McI
Boyle-Klein?..

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What if we scratch glass and go 11 F and 7 D

Use Moore and fast on the fourth line and double shift whoever is hottest.

My idea with the d pairs

Mcdonagh-Klein
Yandle-girardi
Staal-mcilrath
Boyle

Use Boyle for PP and offensive zone starts with staal or mcdonagh. Also gives us 5 dmen that can kill penalties. And mcilrath can move to play with yandle if AV doesn't want to give yandle d zone starts so he can start the d zone with staal-girardi (I know we all hate it but AV loves it)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
lol @ this thread.

AV had no problem setting his lines the past two season reaching the conference finals twice. Where was the beef then? There wasn't any because the players were doing their jobs.

Its the players, not the coach. A ton of underperforming out there. No execution. This is what happens, you try to find some combos/chemistry. Could he do a little better job managing the TOI on D, sure. But up front its been a complete mess as of late.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
lol @ this thread.

AV had no problem setting his lines the past two season reaching the conference finals twice. Where was the beef then? There wasn't any because the players were doing their jobs.

Its the players, not the coach. A ton of underperforming out there. No execution. This is what happens, you try to find some combos/chemistry. Could he do a little better job managing the TOI on D, sure. But up front its been a complete mess as of late.

I've hated the lines forever...

The orginial kreider-step-Nash line kissed me off because they only scored off the rush and now our team is like that

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
lol @ this thread.

Bingo.

They lack an identity because they don't have set roles. Too many players on this team that can't be counted on with the lead or to PK and they are playing everyday. Etem/Stalberg/Glass.

Not enough consistency in effort from guys that should be in the top 6. There's only four forwards that can fill a top 6 role on this team.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Bingo.

They lack an identity because they don't have set roles. Too many players on this team that can't be counted on with the lead or to PK and they are playing everyday. Etem/Stalberg/Glass.

Not enough consistency in effort from guys that should be in the top 6. There's only four forwards that can fill a top 6 role on this team.

Etem has played no where near everyday and he's been a positive the past like 5 games he's played..

He's exactly where Miller was last yr. Stuck in AVs young guys belong on the 4th line house

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
lol @ this thread.

So AV is the reason they made it to the ECF x 2 and SCF x1, but now that the team is garbage, it's the players?

The way it looks from my perspective is that the under-performing players are illuminating many of the underlying flaws in AV's system and roster decisions. Things that were previously masked by the excellent performance, and in some cases over-achievement, of certain players.

Henrik Lundqvist was able to mask and overcome the flaws of Tort's collapse defense for an entire season and carry a very underwhelming team to the ECF almost single-handedly.

AV is accountable. His system is accountable. His staff is accountable.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
So AV is the reason they made it to the ECF x 2 and SCF x1, but now that the team is garbage, it's the players?

The way it looks from my perspective is that the under-performing players are illuminating many of the underlying flaws in AV's system and roster decisions. Things that were previously masked by the excellent performance, and in some cases over-achievement, of certain players.

Henrik Lundqvist was able to mask and overcome the flaws of Tort's collapse defense for an entire season and carry a very underwhelming team to the ECF almost single-handedly.

AV is accountable. His system is accountable. His staff is accountable.

how can u claim a coach is accountable when the quality of your play has zero to no effect on the amount of ice time u receive?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
lol @ this thread.

You are making too much sense !

The youngsters who post ad nuseum around here have declared him an awful nhl coach, you are really spoiling their witch hunt ;o)

Seriously, how can you watch such lackluster performances and pin that soley on the coach? Who the heck is being 'held back' ?

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
The fact that AV has Mcilrath sitting and Jesper Fast on the second line AGAIN is strictly on him, its quite frankly awful roster management. There have been enough advanced stats and eye tests to see that Mcilrath has been one of our better defenseman and should be playing.....AV is overthinking this.

And as smart of a player I think Fast is, he doesnt have enough offense to be a top 6 player

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The fact that AV has Mcilrath sitting and Jesper Fast on the second line AGAIN is strictly on him, its quite frankly awful roster management. There have been enough advanced stats and eye tests to see that Mcilrath has been one of our better defenseman and should be playing.....AV is overthinking this.

And as smart of a player I think Fast is, he doesnt have enough offense to be a top 6 player

Yea out of the two vanilla Swedes lindberg is more offensive..

It's like AV wants to use the stepan line to shut down the other team

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
how can u claim a coach is accountable when the quality of your play has zero to no effect on the amount of ice time u receive?

Literally, wat.

You are making too much sense !

The youngsters who post ad nuseum around here have declared him an awful nhl coach, you are really spoiling their witch hunt ;o)

Seriously, how can you watch such lackluster performances and pin that soley on the coach? Who the heck is being 'held back' ?

Right now, their best defensemen for the past month? Anyone who doesn't get a chance because Tanny boy is still getting ice time?

Also since when it is solely on the coach? Roster decisions are solely on the coach. Who else do you blame for that? If you're okay with how AV is handling the team right now based on nothing but his prior accomplishments, that is a very narrow and simplistic viewpoint.

The team has been bad, the coaching as also been bad. It's not a witch hunt it's the truth. Almost everyone is playing a part right now in this team's performance.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Literally, wat.

Right now, their best defensemen for the past month? Anyone who doesn't get a chance because Tanny boy is still getting ice time?

Also since when it is solely on the coach? Roster decisions are solely on the coach. Who else do you blame for that? If you're okay with how AV is handling the team right now based on nothing but his prior accomplishments, that is a very narrow and simplistic viewpoint.

The team has been bad, the coaching as also been bad. It's not a witch hunt it's the truth. Almost everyone is playing a part right now in this team's performance.

Nah you're just a rambunctious youngster. Not being able to identify and play the best players on your team isn't one of the most basic actions a coach should be able to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad