Line Combos: AV can't make lines

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I feel like we need a separate thread to talk about how awful AV is at picking lines and D pairs. This topic is leaking into every other thread.

I have a hunch our PP only got better after the players themselves told AV what they think they should do. I think that is how Zooks may have ended up back at the point like he played under Torts at times. Zooks never played the point under AV before the last month or so.

I wish AV would speak to the players and ask them who they mesh with best because I have to believe they would be different than these slow mismatched pairings we keep stubbornly going back to time after time.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I have a hunch our PP only got better after the players themselves told AV what they think they should do. I think that is how Zooks may have ended up back at the point like he played under Torts at times. Zooks never played the point under AV before the last month or so.

I wish AV would speak to the players and ask them who they mesh with best because I have to believe they would be different than these slow mismatched pairings we keep stubbornly going back to time after time.
That and AV always talks about getting forwards pairs...
Ex
Brass-zucc
Stepan-kreider
Moore-glass

Then trying to fill in the last spot on the line..
He should be thinking about getting 3 players that play together well not just a pair and then throw in a 3rd guy hoping that it works

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ex
Brass-zucc
Stepan-kreider
Moore-glass

He should be thinking about getting 3 players that play together well not just a pair and then throw in a 3rd guy hoping that it works

I agree with you. Or at least keep Stepan with Nash instead of Kreider with Stepan.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Ex
Brass-zucc
Stepan-kreider
Moore-glass

Worked with Pouilot sometimes dumb luck is good luck

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brass - Zucc
Stalberg - Hayes - Lindberg
Etem - Moore - Fast

McD - Klein
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - McIlrath

But that's just me.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brass - Zucc
Stalberg - Hayes - Lindberg
Etem - Moore - Fast

McD - Klein
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - McIlrath

But that's just me.
I'd have etem with brass and zucc and stalberg on the fourth line but that's a tiny change...

AV can't even get the right players playing

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
So much LOL in this thread! I mean the guy has gotten us a SC Finals appearance, an ECF appearance and a Presidents trophy! We have almost an identical record to that of last year at this point.

Get a grip!

Mordeth

Sep 18, 2015
Why don't they try what they did last match again? You know, where we won, and seemed to have a decent effort defensivly for once.

Putting Nash back with Brassard and Zucc is just such a lazy move.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
So much LOL in this thread! I mean the guy has gotten us a SC Finals appearance, an ECF appearance and a Presidents trophy! We have almost an identical record to that of last year at this point.

Get a grip!

It's amazing how quickly people run to point that out... It was clearly all AV that got us to the finals. Not lundqvist posting nearly a .950 sv

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The same thing happened in Vancouver.

In 2010-11 he kept it simple and stuck with what was working. The team went to the SCF. In 2011-12 he started getting a little stubborn about certain guys that weren't working, particularly Tanner Glass. The team won the Presidents Trophy but was clearly flawed and didn't get as far in the playoffs. In 2012-13 he started with his mad scientist "I'm smarter than everyone else" experimentation and the team hit a wall.

That is literally verbatim what happened to the Rangers in 2014, 2015, and 2016, in that order, right down to Tanner Glass.

BarbaraAlphanse

In 2010-11 he kept it simple and stuck with what was working. The team went to the SCF. In 2011-12 he started getting a little stubborn about certain guys that weren't working, particularly Tanner Glass. The team won the Presidents Trophy but was clearly flawed and didn't get as far in the playoffs. In 2012-13 he started with his mad scientist "I'm smarter than everyone else" experimentation and the team hit a wall.

That is literally verbatim what happened to the Rangers in 2014, 2015, and 2016, in that order, right down to Tanner Glass.

I was going to say something about this earlier, but will reserve judgment till the end of the season.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Worst part is that young guys never get a chance to prove they can be consistent cuz he is in love with vets

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

And 2013 offseason he was fired.... For the 3rd time, which initially took him several years to get a job again after being fired from Montreal...

He will definitely get the rest of this year. If we miss the playoffs (and we know why--this team was never good to begin with), he will absolutely be on the hotseat, and possibly fired before the draft.

If we do get it together but don't go far in the playoffs, were looking at him for at least 1/4 of the season next year, after which he'll be fired.

That's my hypothesis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad