Line Combos: AV can't make lines

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It worked with Pouliot because his style of play complimented Brass and Zucc's, they didn't just get lucky with Pouliot, all 3 guys had great chemistry.

You are exactly right. Its not about putting the 3 best players together. Its about putting the guys that compliment each other together. Pou used his size and speed to help them grind behind the net and forechcheck. Nash who is a good player does not have a style that compliments the Brass line.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
AV has tried an incredible amount of line combinations so far this season.

Sometimes you cant expect someone to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You are exactly right. Its not about putting the 3 best players together. Its about putting the guys that compliment each other together. Pou used his size and speed to help them grind behind the net and forechcheck. Nash who is a good player does not have a style that compliments the Brass line.

Cool, so now all AV has to do is invent a player with skill who is willing to engage in such a way -- because he doesnt have one now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can we all at least agree that Glass-Hayes-Zuccarello is AV's Picasso this season? I don't know how he can top that line. :laugh:

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
AV has tried an incredible amount of line combinations so far this season.

Sometimes you cant expect someone to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Thing is, he doesn't stick with the right combos. He always defaults back to McD/G, Brass/Zucc/Nash, Fast on 2nd/1st line, McIlrath on the bench, Miller in the wrong place, Glass in the lineup, etc.

Klein/McD worked. Yandle/McIlrath worked. He dropped those as soon as he could.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Can we all at least agree that Glass-Hayes-Zuccarello is AV's Picasso this season? I don't know how he can top that line. :laugh:

Beauty, eh. Stupidest line ever.

Also Glass+Fast on the power play.

He makes it hard to watch my team with this crap.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

You mean in that game against Washington where the Caps had already creamed the line combos that most people would want in the top 9? That one? Context is important.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You mean in that game against Washington where the Caps had already creamed the line combos that most people would want in the top 9? That one? Context is important.

That was the third line to start that game. My comment was also for humor reasons, not a criticism of AV.

I said what I wanted my lines to be:

Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Nash-Stepan-Etem/Miller
Lindberg-Hayes-Etem/Miller
Stalberg/Glass-Moore-Fast or just Moore-Fast

McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi/Boyle
Boyle as 7D

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Cool, so now all AV has to do is invent a player with skill who is willing to engage in such a way -- because he doesnt have one now.

Seems like the Kreider Brass Zooks line had a solid game last game. He could have left it alone and seen if Kreider would play well with Zooks. Kreider has always played well with Zooks despite limited chances.

BarbaraAlphanse

Totally.

Mr. Magoo could take a team to the final and game 7 of the ECF in consecutive years.

If you go and look at articles of Vigneault's demise and firing with the Canucks you'll see two prevalent themes.

1) Gillis to blame for the roster construction
2) "Aging Squad" led to decline in play of Canucks

Nash, Girardi, Boyle, Yandle, Moore, Stoll, Staal, Henrik, Klein, Stalberg... The youngest of these guys is turning 29 on January 13. By next season, all but 1 will be at least 30. By mid next January the youngest will be 30.

Will a GM's roster construct lead to another firing of Vigneault in the next 2-3 years? You don't think that Vigneault had massive input and influence over resigning of G, Staal, acquiring of Yandle, Stoll... etc. And all the moves made by Gillis back in his time w/ Vancouver?

Perhaps Vigneault's main fault is his loyalty to veteran players, at which point a mitigating factor would be a GM that works to acquire potential fits for his system while keeping the team young and hungry.

I like his system. I haven't turned on it. And I think it can be successful given proper execution. But his loyalty to players that tend to be regressing, his inability to make in game adjustments, and his game to game line up decisions... they leave more to be desired.

BarbaraAlphanse

With the current group of guys:

Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brass-Nash
Lindberg-Hayes-Fast
Stalberg-Moore-Etem
Megna

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi
Boyle

Glass shouldn't be on the roster. I understand why he's on the roster but he shouldn't be on it. Neither should Stalberg but we have no choice.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
With the current group of guys:

Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Miller-Brass-Nash
Lindberg-Hayes-Fast
Stalberg-Moore-Etem
Megna

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi
Boyle

Glass shouldn't be on the roster. I understand why he's on the roster but he shouldn't be on it. Neither should Stalberg but we have no choice.

I agree with you, especially in regards to glass. Etem has been our best player the last 2 weeks and isn't even playing. I'd switch fast and etem but that's just me

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Time to consider firing AV. He wont swallow his pride and scratch the right guys, thus i am no longer proud to be a rangers fan right now.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Time to consider firing AV. He wont swallow his pride and scratch the right guys, thus i am no longer proud to be a rangers fan right now.

I'm inclined to agree... this whole "let me do my thing I know better than all" is just insanity...

I understand the team isn't that good, but the other side of it is that he's putting players in a position to fail, so instead of having 1 bad line or 1 bad d pairing, the entire roster performs like garbage

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The team has made the SAME mistakes for a MONTH!!! A ****ing MONTH. As a coaching staff overseeing a group that has had two deep playoff runs in back to back years, that falls on you and you alone. These are NHLers regardless of their struggles and as coaches you are not able to get the most out of them. No discipline. No accountability for countless open men during ES play. As a coach change your strategy. Play collapsing or play tighter in man to man. Do something. Order something. It looks like pick-up hockey out there. And it has for awhile. A lot of the goals are open opposition. Hank cant bail them out all the time. Bench people. Or get fired and bring in a coach that will do it.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The lines AV consistently goes to have been the same ones from the start of camp.

Nash-brass-zucc
Kreider-stepan-fast
Miller-Hayes-lindberg
Glass-Moore stalberg

Mcdonagh-girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein

They were flawed then and continue to be flawed. The worst part is when he does "shake up" the lines he plays the new lines for 5mins before going back to the normal... Like he's putting the team in timeout or something. He hasn't reevaluated any of the players since the off season.He doesn't reward good play and he doesn't punish players for bad play. He literally set the lines and Sat back and said wow look at em go. Now when the team sucks he's sitting there laughing because he knows he won't get fired and if he did he'd be hired back quick as hell..

In the end he's like torts, short term coach nothing more than 2-3 years. Players get to comfortable and as u guys put it get into a country club mentality

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller/Etem - Brassard - Zuccarello
Miller/Etem - Hayes - Lindberg
Moore - Fast

McDonagh - Klein
Yandle - McIlrath
Staal - Girardi
Boyle as the 7th D rotating shifts around or that could be Girardi if you wanna go that route. I don't care.

If you wanna healthy scratch Hayes too that's fine with me. Just move Lindberg to center and put Stalberg in Lindberg's wing spot. That's my ideal lines and pairings at the moment.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Who exactly is replacing AV mid-season? Scott Arniel? Mark Messier? Some random NCAA coach?

I don't think a drastic move like that would happen until the summer, depending on how this team finishes out the second half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad