Autograph Signings and Memorabilia Thread (Official Thread For Questions)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Sports Minded Unlimited
DATE CHANGE!!!! Adam Henrique is now FRIDAY JUNE 15th!! Same time and everything. This is due to an end of the year party held by the team on thursday! Hope you all can attend!!! Thanks for your corporation!!

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Hey, I was wondering as far as hockey cards... what sets/brands(is that the right word?) are the ones that become worth something later? Like, I've seen people talk about making sure to get various players rookie cards and selling other rookie cards on Ebay for a damn good profit. What set is the set to look for in regards to player card worth?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Hey, I was wondering as far as hockey cards... what sets/brands(is that the right word?) are the ones that become worth something later? Like, I've seen people talk about making sure to get various players rookie cards and selling other rookie cards on Ebay for a damn good profit. What set is the set to look for in regards to player card worth?

How much of an initial investment do you want to start with?

The only sets that are guaranteed to hold value are Cup, Dominion and Ultimate and those sets are several hundred dollars a pack. Other sets such as SP Authentic, SPX, Artifacts, Certified and the basic Upper Deck Series hold their value as long at the player doesn't fall off a cliff.

And right now, you can get a lot of Tedenby's autographed rookies for under $4. Definitely an opportunity to flip for a good amount of money if he ever amounts into a top 6 forward.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
How much of an initial investment do you want to start with?

The only sets that are guaranteed to hold value are Cup, Dominion and Ultimate and those sets are several hundred dollars a pack. Other sets such as SP Authentic, SPX, Artifacts, Certified and the basic Upper Deck Series hold their value as long at the player doesn't fall off a cliff.

And right now, you can get a lot of Tedenby's autographed rookies for under $4. Definitely an opportunity to flip for a good amount of money if he ever amounts into a top 6 forward.

Ahh, okay, gotcha. Thanks for the info! :)

(goes to search for a Tedenby rookie... =P)

apice3*

Several hundred dollars for a few pieces of cardboard with a players face on it? That's ridiculous.

It's a shame collecting cards became about money. I have somewhere between 50-75k baseball cards and never really considered selling any of them.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
You aren't paying for the cardboard at that point, you are paying for the autographs/pieces of jersey on those cards. And those sets only have the big name players so you won't get stuck with something like a David Clarkson autograph. There's also unique cards like this one where it comes with a piece of the draft board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-11-UD-THE-CUP-ROOKIE-DRAFT-BOARDS-JACOB-JOSEFSON-AUTO-RC-25-/260902944538?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item3cbf06ff1a

That said, these cards are overpriced but then again the whole sports industry is.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Wait P4P, there are packs of cards that cost several hundred dollars?

How many cards come in the pack and what types of cards are we talking about?

The Cup is the highest selling hockey product every year. Usually varies between $350-400 a pack depending on how strong that year's rookie class is. Every pack is guaranteed a rookie autograph so that subset usually is what holds the price of the packs. 2006 is ridiculously priced for the few unopened packs because of Crosby/Ovechkin/Parise/Lundqvist/Richards etc. Here's a video of what's inside. I haven't watched the video so I have no idea if it's a good pack or not. (usually the rookie makes or breaks the pack unless you get a Crosby/Gretzky/Howe etc autograph)

apice3*

I would never be able to justify spending 400 dollars on 7 cards.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the whole jersey insert cards. Those memorabilia cards are what skyrocketed the price of base cards. Every set has a premier chase card as well as hundreds of other "valuable" cards that have pretty much erased the fun of collecting.

It's a shame that it went from a hobby to a business, IMO.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Finally got around to watching the video. The Palmieri rookie was weak but the Toews saved it somewhat. Blackhawk cards in general go for a lot because a lot of the jersey pieces such as that have unique patches like that.

And I don't know what you are talking about base cards skyrocketing, they are as worthless as ever. Still over half the sets out there don't have "premier chase cards". Obviously they have parallels of some extent for value but nothing extreme. There are still sets out there that cater to just opening and collecting for fun. Today I bought and opened 2 boxes of Score. It was 72 packs for $50something. Not bad at all. Other sets that have $1-2 packs are Victory, O Pee Chee and Pinnacle.

IMO the people that hate the card market are just the people that don't understand it and believe false pretenses. Those $400 packs are not for everyone and do very little to kill the other sets' value. You pretty much have to consider those cards as miniature investments and quite frankly most of those cards hold their value better than most things. For the people like me that can't afford them you just focus on some of the cheaper quality sets and hope the occasional card from that set gets lost on ebay and can get a decent deal on it.

BrodeurRULES

RIP Lokomotiv
Nov 5, 2006
The Cup is the highest selling hockey product every year. Usually varies between $350-400 a pack depending on how strong that year's rookie class is. Every pack is guaranteed a rookie autograph so that subset usually is what holds the price of the packs. 2006 is ridiculously priced for the few unopened packs because of Crosby/Ovechkin/Parise/Lundqvist/Richards etc. Here's a video of what's inside. I haven't watched the video so I have no idea if it's a good pack or not. (usually the rookie makes or breaks the pack unless you get a Crosby/Gretzky/Howe etc autograph)

I bet he was like **** when he saw Palmieri. lol

How much is one box before the big increase by sellers anyway? I have always wanted a set but that will never happen unless I can get one directly from the company. lol

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I just buy those cheap Score cards that you find in Modells every year since I like to get em autographed. Got a decent amount of em signed and the cards aren't glossy so they come out great.

BrodeurRULES

RIP Lokomotiv
Nov 5, 2006
I just buy those cheap Score cards that you find in Modells every year since I like to get em autographed. Got a decent amount of em signed and the cards aren't glossy so they come out great.

But its all about the glossy paper man!

daron7

Sep 11, 2007
NJ
hockey cards nowadays are like crack. stay away! it's very addicting, and you'll find yourself searching ebay for hours on end looking for some kind of steal. box breaks were addicting too.

my most favorite pull was upper deck ultimate 05-06. the pack cost over well over $100 at the time, ordered it off ebay. popped it open, second card in, brodeur endorsed emblems auto 3 color patch /35. amazing!

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I bet he was like **** when he saw Palmieri. lol

How much is one box before the big increase by sellers anyway? I have always wanted a set but that will never happen unless I can get one directly from the company. lol

It usually starts around $350. It's not cheap to begin with :laugh:

Score is where it's at. Great quality and under a dollar a pack.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
People who buy modern sports cards thinking they're an "investment", are generally speaking, idiots. They almost always decline in value over the years. Do it because you love it and have fun doing it, not to try to make money - because you wont.

apice3*

Score is where it's at. Great quality and under a dollar a pack.

For under a dollar a pack, I can start getting back into card collecting. Never collected hockey cards though. I spent every dollar of my childhood on baseball. Like I said, I have somewhere between 50-75k baseball cards ranging from mid 80's to mid 2000's.

I've had a bad breakup with baseball since I stopped playing like 4 years ago. I'm just not as big of a fan of the sport as I once was. Hockey is the only sport I follow from opening night to the championship.

How many cards come in a pack/set of Score cards? Any inserts/chase cards?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
For under a dollar a pack, I can start getting back into card collecting. Never collected hockey cards though. I spent every dollar of my childhood on baseball. Like I said, I have somewhere between 50-75k baseball cards ranging from mid 80's to mid 2000's.

I've had a bad breakup with baseball since I stopped playing like 4 years ago. I'm just not as big of a fan of the sport as I once was. Hockey is the only sport I follow from opening night to the championship.

How many cards come in a pack/set of Score cards? Any inserts/chase cards?

They had a box for $10 I believe it was in Modells. Each pack came with a glossy card and there were usually 7 cards in a pack. May have been 10 or 11 packs in the box, not sure. There were some cool cards in there but I don't think there were jersey cards or things like that.

Here's the breakdown on the cards. I guess if you get the more expensive boxes then you can get the inserts and stuff.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2011-12-score-hockey

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Score has a 500 set base set with 50 regular rookie and 20 shortprinted chase rookies (the bigger names). If you buy the full box of 36 packs (usually can be found for about $30) you are guaranteed one of the chase rookies. There's a bunch of random inserts if you are into collecting them. Some are harder to find than others. There are supposed to be an autograph every 72 packs but I've opened approximately 150 this year without getting any. I did get a black border Antoine Vermette which appears every 720 packs. Unfortunately it's a player no one gives a **** about haha.

It's probably too late to collect this year's set but if you decide to I have a ******** of doubles you can have if you cover the shipping. It's my favorite set to do. It has the old school feel and is still cheap and there's a tiny shot at getting a really valuable card. Plus at a $1 pack it's extremely easy to sell them to break even or make a small profit.

apice3*

Score has a 500 set base set with 50 regular rookie and 20 shortprinted chase rookies (the bigger names). If you buy the full box of 36 packs (usually can be found for about $30) you are guaranteed one of the chase rookies. There's a bunch of random inserts if you are into collecting them. Some are harder to find than others. There are supposed to be an autograph every 72 packs but I've opened approximately 150 this year without getting any. I did get a black border Antoine Vermette which appears every 720 packs. Unfortunately it's a player no one gives a **** about haha.

It's probably too late to collect this year's set but if you decide to I have a ******** of doubles you can have if you cover the shipping. It's my favorite set to do. It has the old school feel and is still cheap and there's a tiny shot at getting a really valuable card. Plus at a $1 pack it's extremely easy to sell them to break even or make a small profit.

I found a box for 28 which I might buy a couple of. It's a small 50 dollar investment to see if I can get back into the hobby.

What's a black border card? And when does Score begin their new set? September?

I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for re-sparking this interest.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Yea Score usually comes out around September. Each box comes with one card that has a different color border. In a 20 box case 19 of the boxes will have a gold border and one will have a black border. It looks the same as the regular base card but instead of the outside being white it's either gold or black. It sticks out very easily.

Here's a black Grabner compared to a regular card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-SCORE-BLACK-ICE-298-MICHAEL-GRABNER-0140-/360456550771?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item53ece27973

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-Score-Glossy-MATTIAS-OHLUND-422-/370628052160?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item564b2744c0

apice3*

Yea Score usually comes out around September. Each box comes with one card that has a different color border. In a 20 box case 19 of the boxes will have a gold border and one will have a black border. It looks the same as the regular base card but instead of the outside being white it's either gold or black. It sticks out very easily.

Here's a black Grabner compared to a regular card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-SCORE-BLACK-ICE-298-MICHAEL-GRABNER-0140-/360456550771?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item53ece27973

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-Score-Glossy-MATTIAS-OHLUND-422-/370628052160?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item564b2744c0

I just bought a couple 36 pack boxes for 60 bucks to see if I can get into collecting again. It's a worthwhile investment. Pretty much a dime a card, which is how it should be.

I'm guessing the black/gold borders add a couple nickels to the value. What's the top prize in these types of boxes? I've read "Black Ice Parallel 1 in 720 packs" but I have no idea what that means.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The black ice parallel is that black border card I posed above. The best card is I want to say Lindros autographed rookie cards from the 1992 set. Last year it was Jagr and Brodeur autographed rookies from 1991. There's only about 5 of them though. Realistically the best card is if you happen to get a big name rookie for your autograph if you do get one. Autos are 1 in 72 packs so basically one every two boxes so you have a good chance at one. The Devils with an autograph this year are Brodeur, Parise, Greene, Larsson and Henrique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad