Tennis: Australian Open 2022

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I wonder if anybody out there thinks that this year's Australian Open requires an asterisk now.

what about all the slams Rafa missed that the other 2 won? Didn’t Djoko’s first French Open come when Rafa skipped that tournament? In that case they all have asterisk in some of their GS

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Weird how Medvedev made a face when the crowd applauded him. Be interesting to see what he has to say lol
When Medvedev is in the twilight of his career I'm sure the crowd will be on his side against a youngster just like was the case for Rafa...dudes an unbelievable talent

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope this isn't too demoralizing for Daniil he's by far the best of the best among the young players on tour and he's been a monster on HCs for the last 3 years now

I doubt it considering he just stuck it to Djokovic in a big way not that long ago. He'll find his way to more majors although because of the big three he won't have as much of a window to win them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Weird how Medvedev made a face when the crowd applauded him. Be interesting to see what he has to say lol

I think he gave a little dig at the fans when he said at the end of the speech "Last but not least, I want to thank....my team again" when most would have thanked the fans in that spot. Definitely some saltiness there haha

Reactions: PlushMinus

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think he gave a little dig at the fans when he said at the end of the speech "Last but not least, I want to thank....my team again" when most would have thanked the fans in that spot. Definitely some saltiness there haha
Oh yeah :laugh: I'm looking forward to his press conference. I don't think we'll hear any "low IQ" esque comments but you never know lol

Also, did not think I'd see Rafa win another hard court GS championship. Unreal.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Rafael Nadal is the first player in the Open Era to come back from two sets down in the AO to win it.
Don't want to rub salt in the wound on the young guys, but the best nextgen guys have all blown a 2 sets to love lead in finals now...

Zverev was up 2-0 vs Thiem in 2020 US Open and lost

Stefanos was up 2-0 vs Djokovic in 2021 French Open and lost

Medvedev was up 2-0 vs Nadal in 2022 Australian Open and lost

Ouch

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm no Djokovic fan but it should definitely have an asterisk like many records in professional sports.
In order to win the AO, you need to have what it takes. Having what it takes includes the decision to be vaccinated. Because of his bad decision Djokovic didn't have what it takes to win this year's AO. No asterisk.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Don't want to rub salt in the wound on the young guys, but the best nextgen guys have all blown a 2 sets to love lead in finals now...

Zverev was up 2-0 vs Thiem in 2020 US Open and lost

Stefanos was up 2-0 vs Djokovic in 2021 French Open and lost

Medvedev was up 2-0 vs Nadal in 2022 Australian Open and lost

Ouch
Whats-App-Image-2022-01-30-at-15-24-05.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-30_10-15-28.gif
    upload_2022-1-30_10-15-28.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 4

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a match! Congrats to Rafa, just think he won it in 2009 and book-ended it with a win in 2022. I didn't think he would win today and a lot of this loss is on Medvedev, no way he should have lost in 5. Rafa looked old and so much more mistake prone for the first half of the match but Daniil took his foot off the pedal. You just can't let Rafa back in a match like that because he is so tenacious. He's a beast!

Reactions: I am not exposed

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That's gotta be one of Rafa's greatest wins ever. It's puts him in first place for slams and gets the Australian Open monkey off his back.

Medvedev had 23 aces holy cow!

say what you will about Rafa, he is probably the most legendary warrior and fighter with an MJ level mentality if not stronger. Counted out more times than anyone in this sport to not repeat any success and here he is.

Jordan, Brady, Nadal. I don't know if there's anyone else I could put on that level for their drive to win.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
That's gotta be one of Rafa's greatest wins ever. It's puts him in first place for slams and gets the Australian Open monkey off his back.

Jordan, Brady, Nadal. I don't know if there's anyone else I could put on that level for their drive to win.

Ronaldo is also like that I think, winner alpha mentality.

might be others in other sports we don’t follow. But yeah all these dudes are just in the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00