Tennis: Australian Open 2022

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Gulbis retired in the 2nd set yesterday, and at least one other player did. Marino was lucky she played early and avoided the worst of the heat.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Latest from The Guardian:

Novak Djokovic has blamed his agent for an “administrative mistake” when declaring he had not travelled in the two weeks before his flight to Australia and acknowledged an “error of judgment” by not isolating after he tested positive for Covid.....

....But Djokovic’s statement, posted to Instagram, did not address reports by Der Spiegel claiming apparent anomalies with his 16 December PCR test result. The reporting has raised questions about the positive Covid diagnosis that forms the basis of his exemption to travel to Australia.

Wednesday’s statement claims he wasn’t notified of his positive result until 17 December despite Djokovic’s affidavit to the federal circuit court that he was both “tested and diagnosed” on 16 December.

Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, has confirmed he is still considering re-cancelling Djokovic’s visa, citing “lengthy further submissions and supporting documentation” from the player’s lawyers as the cause of delay.

Djokovic had his visa restored by federal court...but his ability to stay in Australia was put in doubt by the ministerial review.

On Tuesday, it was revealed the Australian Border Force was investigating his pre-flight declaration after images emerged suggesting he was in Belgrade less than two weeks before his flight from Spain to Australia on 4 January.

With so much smoke in so many places, it would be amazing if there is not a fire somewhere. I'm thinking that the Australian federal government is not going to passively accept the judge's ruling without taking further action of some kind.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draws are out, Djokovic in there as of right now. Probably couldn't have handpicked a better draw for himself :laugh:

Draws | AO
No kidding. To the semis, Nole literally could not have picked an easier draw for himself. Potential long-shot stumbling blocks in his quarter (Korda, Alcaraz) Berrettini will likely eat up before the quarters. Worse case scenario, Nole will have to face only one of those three to get to the semis, none of whom any sane person would bet on anyway.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
First round opponents for our Canadians:

Men's
9 Félix Auger-Aliassime vs. Emil Ruusuvuori
14 Denis Shapovalov vs. Laslo Djere
Women's
23 Leylah Annie Fernandez vs. Maddison Inglis

Marino will play her final qualifying round match tonight.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Men's picks

Berrettini/Monfils (could pull an upset: Alcaraz)
Zverev/Nadal (by far the toughest quarter--lots of players could upset the apple cart; Nadal no sure thing)
Tsitsipas/Sinner (can't see Ruud surviving until the quarters; watch out for Andy)
Medvedev/FAA (Daniil draws Humbert in the 3rd round who recently beat him)

Zverev/Berrettini (Zverev over Alcaraz, if that happens)
Medvedev/Sinner

Medvedev over Zverev (would have picked Medvedev over Djokovic, too)

Women's picks

Osaka/Sakkari (horrible quarter for Barty)
Svitolina/Badosa (Can't see Krejcikova surviving her quarter; Gauff floating around, too)
Muguruza/Kontaveit
Sabalenka/Sviatek

Osaka/Badosa
Muguruza/Sviatek

Osaka over Sviatek

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole decision from the court coming soon, reasoning to follow tomorrow. Nole scheduled for last match at RLA. If he withdraws, his place will now be given to a Lucky Loser...who will find himself with a very good draw.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As of 5:53 PM local time in Melbourne, Djokovic is ordered to leave Australia. In addition to deportation, he faces a three year ban from the country.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad