Tennis: Australian Open 2022

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Medvedev's press conference is heart breaking :(

"Today, the kid in me stopped dreaming. It is not in me after today. I'm playing for me and myself from now on"

Clearly the crowd always being against him has taken a toll. No wonder he idolizes Novak so much.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Online tennis fans are bizarro world to me.

Every match I watched with Medvedev he gets personal with the crowd, the ump the players. He calls people idiots and stupid and acts like a baby, yet every fan I see in these highlights videos defends him "Medvedev speaks his mind" , "good for him" , Medvedev is awesome" yadayada.

I couldn't give a shit who won but the guy acting like an absolute muppet really made me root against him.

If you believe there is a problem you address it, f*** yell if you feel like it but don't call the ump and fans idiots and stupid and then be surprised you are booed.

What an unlikable twat

Reactions: Panteras

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Every match I watched with Medvedev he gets personal with the crowd, the ump the players. He calls people idiots and stupid and acts like a baby, yet every fan I see in these highlights videos defends him "Medvedev speaks his mind" , "good for him" , Medvedev is awesome" yadayada.

I couldn't give a shit who won but the guy acting like an absolute muppet really made me root against him.

If you believe there is a problem you address it, f*** yell if you feel like it but don't call the ump and fans idiots and stupid and then be surprised you are booed.

What an unlikable twat

Ironic...

Reactions: MsMeow

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

What an unlikable twat
It can be a sign of frustration when you’re losing and things aren’t going your way in such an important event for you as a player. I can understand certain outbursts of frustration during the heat of the moment. But after that, you just comes off as a sore loser and downright bitter. There’s a clip of him making Trump style dismissive faces during the closing ceremony and saying “booring”.. yeah, that’s just not the attitude. Big 3 always gracious in defeat. These younger guys have a bit of an entitlement problem. I think Tsitsipas once said something about Nadal not doing anything special and I can beat him after a RG loss if I’m mistaken.
Probably a young kid to look out for real is Alcaraz. Interestingly also Spanish and Nadal clone like athleticism.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's... really sad for Medvedev. Especially as he's possibly the best player at this very point.

Reactions: kihei

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
That's... really sad for Medvedev. Especially as he's possibly the best player at this very point.
I think probably many of the younger guys feel the weight of the world on their shoulders to start a new era and they feel like they must break the mold of what Fed/Nadal/Djoko are/have been. They probably feel frustrated that these old dudes still hold a grip on dominance for one, and then on the personality side they feel they must be different as well. Like do they really think they’re gonna win the hearts of people over 3 dudes have won everyone’s hearts for like 20 years? Did Medvedev really expect the crowd to be cheering him more than Rafa chasing 21 grand slams and already a fan favorite before Daniil probably even started playing? You gotta earn it, that’s what he and the others must realize.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It can be a sign of frustration when you’re losing and things aren’t going your way in such an important event for you as a player. I can understand certain outbursts of frustration during the heat of the moment. But after that, you just comes off as a sore loser and downright bitter. There’s a clip of him making Trump style dismissive faces during the closing ceremony and saying “booring”.. yeah, that’s just not the attitude. Big 3 always gracious in defeat. These younger guys have a bit of an entitlement problem. I think Tsitsipas once said something about Nadal not doing anything special and I can beat him after a RG loss if I’m mistaken.
Probably a young kid to look out for real is Alcaraz. Interestingly also Spanish and Nadal clone like athleticism.
Tbf, I was totally with him there. These two just played a five and a half hour tennis match and they make them stand there and listen to these endless speeches. Rafa could barely stand.
I know it's tradition and all, but at least try to keep it short. You don't have to thank everybody... Funny enough, the only one who actually kept it short was the sponsor.

Reminded me of the 2012 final between Nadal and Djokovic where they had to get chairs for both of them.

Reactions: PlushMinus

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Nadal is the GOAT. Should get #22 at the FO, especially if Djokovic is out again. Federer hasn't won for 4 years and is 99.9% likely to finish with 20. It's between Nadal and Djokovic.

Reactions: Nadal On Clay

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My head tells me that, for now, Rafa is the GOAT, but what I really lean to is that it's a three-headed GOAT.

Reactions: Beau Knows

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Nadal is the GOAT. Should get #22 at the FO, especially if Djokovic is out again. Federer hasn't won for 4 years and is 99.9% likely to finish with 20. It's between Nadal and Djokovic.

Roger won't win again, and I would be surprised if Rafa won the French because clay is so much more grueling than hard. But if anyone can do it, it's him.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

I watched his press conference where he should have been calm by now but he was still yapping about how "a little boys dream has been destroyed and now he will only play for himself and his family"

I get you are frustrated in the heat of the moment but this guy not only seems to lose his cool but he gets very personal and flat out insults whoever he has in his target.

Great player or not, this guy whining about fans being disrespectful is the height of hypocrisy.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I have a hard time seeing Rafa losing the French if Djokovic isn't allowed into the country. But ultimately I think Novak ends up with like 25 slams anyways, unless his vaccine stupidity keeps him out of slams for years.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No one will remember anything about crowds and how fans acted on a particular day. Maybe it's not easy to do, but Med shouldn't talk about this crap.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Just finished watching this with so much else on the go. There just won't be another era like this... the grit... guts..

On the other side... so many young, immature and petulant mens players... there is some growing up to do..

High drama and really Medvedev has no one to blame but himself..

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I think Fed is third at this point. He has 20 and one career slam while Djokovic has 20 with double career slam and Rafa now has 21 with double career slam. Fed also has a losing H2H record against Djokodal too so I think Fed's GOAT case is the weakest of the three as of now

With that said, these three guys are all co-GOATs to me...the joy they've brought to sport these past 15-20 years will never be matched

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I think Fed is third at this point. He has 20 and one career slam while Djokovic has 20 with double career slam and Rafa now has 21 with double career slam. Fed also has a losing H2H record against Djokodal too so I think Fed's GOAT case is the weakest of the three as of now

With that said, these three guys are all co-GOATs to me...the joy they've brought to sport these past 15-20 years will never be matched

Not to mention Nadal is the only one with the career golden slam. Nadal and Djokovic have both won 3 GS on 3 different surfaces in the same calendar year, Federer hasn't. And most of all that people like to ignore, Federer stacked up his GS in such a weak era. Sampras and Andre were done while Nadal and Djokovic were kids. After the 2010 AO Federer had 16 GS at age 28 right in his prime and has only won 4 since. Nadal and Djokovic had their entire careers overlap in addition to facing prime Federer yet still matched (surpassed for Nadal) his GS total. He's a distant 3rd for me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This feels like the reverse of the Medvedev-Felix match...

Almost the exact reverse. Complete with the winner getting stronger after 3 sets, the loser on the brink of several important breaks in the 4th and 5th sets only to eventually lose the match after being up 2 sets...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
"I can lose, he can win. But I can't give up." --Rafa pretty much sums himself up in a nutshell.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm cutting Medvedev a ton of slack. I think he handled himself very well after a defeat that was devastating in more ways than one.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Not to mention Nadal is the only one with the career golden slam. Nadal and Djokovic have both won 3 GS on 3 different surfaces in the same calendar year, Federer hasn't. And most of all that people like to ignore, Federer stacked up his GS in such a weak era. Sampras and Andre were done while Nadal and Djokovic were kids. After the 2010 AO Federer had 16 GS at age 28 right in his prime and has only won 4 since. Nadal and Djokovic had their entire careers overlap in addition to facing prime Federer yet still matched (surpassed for Nadal) his GS total. He's a distant 3rd for me.
I think Djokovic has had a better all-around career than Nadal but Rafa is the one with more slams now so yes if there's a GOAT right now it is the Spaniard.

Reactions: kihei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad