Auston Matthews Watch 2016

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Just noticed the Edmonton first win last night. WTF is wrong with that city? God they better not come near the top pick let alone the top five again this season.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Just noticed the Edmonton first win last night. WTF is wrong with that city? God they better not come near the top pick let alone the top five again this season.

Oh, the Oilers will. That team is still putrid. I am almost resigned to Edmonton getting Matthews or Chychrun. The NHL should have stepped in after the 2015 draft fiasco; but, if the Oilers get first overall again, the league will surely implement a rule to prevent a team from getting first overall two/three years in a row or something similar.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The last thing they need is the #1 pick, just b/c they need a franchise defenseman, badly, and would probably take Matthews just b/c.

Agreed. Chychrun is the guy we need. And Chara can mentor him during his final years here.

No.

I'm a big fan of Chychrun, but taking him over Matthews is like drafting Noah Hannifin over McDavid/Eichel. Or Cam Barker over Ovechkin. Or Thomas Hickey over Patrick Kane. Given how badly Barker and Hickey turned out, you can figure how those draft pics would have gone over had the teams done them.

It's easier to find a solid #1 D than it is to find a franchise player. You don't pass over a Matthews because you've been bad at retaining your future #1 D (Hamilton, whatever the reason he left).

Last edited:

BigBadBruins63*

No.

I'm a big fan of Chychrun, but taking him over Matthews is like drafting Noah Hannifin over McDavid/Eichel. Or Cam Barker over Ovechkin. Or Thomas Hickey over Patrick Kane. Given how badly Barker and Hickey turned out, you can figure how those draft pics would have gone over had the teams done them.

It's easier to find a solid #1 D than it is to find a franchise player. You don't pass over a Matthews because you've been bad at retaining your future #1 D (Hamilton, whatever the reason he left).

Not sure why you quoted me in that lol. I said EDM, if they ended up with the #1 pick, would have to take Matthews with it even though they need a franchise type defenseman.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
If it meant we could do the right deals and get both Matthews and Chychrun, I would not mind tanking and being the Leafs for one season, because there would be a whole lot of happier times ahead.

What I meant was, that scenario is nonsensical. We will be lucky to draft Chychrun, never mind also signing Stamkos and drafting Matthews.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
They will fade as they always do. But yea, its not gonna be as high as we all hoped.

As long as they miss the playoffs, they will be in the sweepstake. It only takes a little luck and we have a chance at top-3 overall.

Of course, the lower they are in the standings, the greater the chances. And if the Bruins fail to make the playoffs, we would have two balls in the lottery.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Team doesn't even have to tank. Just keep rolling out bums like Kevan Miller on d and zero confidence soft goal Rask in net and even if we score 4 we still lose. Perfect. Krejci has a career year with 90 points and the team finishes bottom 3 in the east.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
No.

Well ...

Chychrun > Hanifin

Matthews < McDavid/Eichel

Not really the same thing at all

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Well ...

Chychrun > Hanifin

Matthews < McDavid/Eichel

Not really the same thing at all

Yes, I know, you keep saying the same things, re-stating the same proposition, despite being debunked -- on Eichel being better than Matthews.

Did you even bother reading any of the posts since you last said the same thing?

Let me try again:

Another journo on Auston Matthews:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...dont-more-top-nhl-draft-prospects-do-the-same

And this, where he absolutely blew away production by Eichel, Kane, and Kessel with US NTDP:

That's right -- Matthews has absolutely blown away Eichel's production on the US NTDP squad. He also has blown away production by present NHL stars like Patrick Kane and Kessel.

To put it very simply, 116 > 73.

But fine, you can just re-write Matthews < Eichel, and it will remain true. Always.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Yes, I know, you keep saying the same things, re-stating the same proposition, despite being debunked -- on Eichel being better than Matthews.

Did you even bother reading any of the posts since you last said the same thing?

Let me try again:

That's right -- Matthews has absolutely blown away Eichel's production on the US NTDP squad. He also has blown away production by present NHL stars like Patrick Kane and Kessel.

To put it very simply, 116 > 73.

But fine, you can just re-write Matthews < Eichel, and it will remain true. Always.

No offense, but you should take your own advice concerning defenseman. You keep putting lesser defenseman into the same camp as Ekblad and doughty. By all accounts chychrun looks to be a stud, an elite defenseman that any team would love to have and in the same breath as those two. And you keep comparing him to someone like Noah hanifin, who just isn't that. Noah is a tremendous player, maybe he'll be a number one. And maybe chychrun will bust. But your d comparisons are way off. And believe me, I wanted Don to flip some picks at the draft to move up for Hanifin.

My point way back was that elite d are better than elite f. And chychrun looks like he will be a stud, as his trend line currently suggests. Cam barker and Thomas hickey never had that going for them.

You got me on the Matthews and eichel thing, I hadn't seen that until you pointed it out. Doesn't change that, unless chychrun's play starts to really slip, I'd much rather have him than Austin. He fits this teams needs better, and in my opinion (and that's all it is) he'd be worth the risk, because the payoff is much bigger.

Elite forwards come and go. The league is littered with them. Hell, Pitt arguably has 3. But if you get the chance at possibly having an elite d, not good not great but elite, you take that risk.

:)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
this defense is a disaster. rask has been mediocre at best.

For sure he has been. But he won't be for the whole year. He'll get back to the Rask he is and steal many games for the Bruins this year. And with the offense being #2 in the league right now with 3.86g/gm, the Bruins will fight for a playoffs spot. Even with a very young D prone to mistakes.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
No offense, but you should take your own advice concerning defenseman. You keep putting lesser defenseman into the same camp as Ekblad and doughty. By all accounts chychrun looks to be a stud, an elite defenseman that any team would love to have and in the same breath as those two. And you keep comparing him to someone like Noah hanifin, who just isn't that. Noah is a tremendous player, maybe he'll be a number one. And maybe chychrun will bust. But your d comparisons are way off. And believe me, I wanted Don to flip some picks at the draft to move up for Hanifin.

My point way back was that elite d are better than elite f. And chychrun looks like he will be a stud, as his trend line currently suggests. Cam barker and Thomas hickey never had that going for them.

You got me on the Matthews and eichel thing, I hadn't seen that until you pointed it out. Doesn't change that, unless chychrun's play starts to really slip, I'd much rather have him than Austin. He fits this teams needs better, and in my opinion (and that's all it is) he'd be worth the risk, because the payoff is much bigger.

Elite forwards come and go. The league is littered with them. Hell, Pitt arguably has 3. But if you get the chance at possibly having an elite d, not good not great but elite, you take that risk.

Here's what I found NDT stats for Eichel-111 games 139 points
Matthews- 104 games 166 points

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I would love either Matthews or Chychrun with the Bruins and if somehow we are with the top pick, there is one other option, we could still draft Matthews if you could flip a guy like Krejci or a Marchand for someone like Seth Jones that way you still get an elite young D and an elite young F.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I mean, these are all fair points and just to repeat -- I love Chychrun and think it would be awesome to have him on the Bruins.

I guess where I disagree-- I'd still take Matthews over Chychrun if I could-- is that while there are plenty of great forwards in the league, there are only a handful of truly elite forwards that fall into this category: Connor McDavid, Eichel, Matthews are today's Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin. We're talking the very top of of the pile; players who become the face of the franchise and carry a team into Cup contention. Pittsburgh would never have won a cup without Crosby. Chicago never without Kane. Ovechkin no Cup yet, but he's been the heart of their team for a decade, including many very good teams.

And on the D side, I see plenty of #1D around the league, all who can, and have, quarterback a Stanley Cup team. You don't necessarily need Ekblad to win a Cup or contend.

Look at Tampa. Victor Hedman has become their #1D; he's no Duncan Keith or Doughty or Ekblad, however. But he's definitely good enough to lead a Cup contending defensive core.

And now look at St. Louis. They arguably have two elite #1D in Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Haven't come close to a Cup, because their offense is dismal. Tarasenko may be the difference for them finally, as he's developed into a truly elite forward.

Or look at Nashville. They also have two elite #1Ds in Roman Josi and Shea Weber, and now a future elite #1D in Seth Jones. Not even close to a Cup. Why? Poor offense.

Now back to Tampa. Hedman has been important but it's Stamkos, however, who has been the difference in turning that franchise around. Like Crosby, he turns good players into elite players when he plays with them (Kunitz).

Connor McDavid will have the same effect. Matthews, if he lives up to his billing (and record smashing amateur career) will do that too. Instant impact and big long term impact.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2