Auston Matthews Watch 2016

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
As constituted this team is god awful. No high end scoring, no scoring depth, old aging and immobile defense. 500 goalies and no direction as to where they are going. Next season is going to be brutal but at least we get to look forward to this.

Let the tanking begin

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If they start listening to offers for him now, they can probably talk to enough teams so more than a handful will know he's available when they trade him

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Our only hope for that pick is Rask getting injured. But apparently he's getting traded.

even with rask they are going to get killed with miller, mcquaid and seidenberg playing significant minutes. in addition to this I don't think they're going to be able to score at all.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
There is a zero-point-none percent chance that this organization wins the lottery. The only way the Bruins pick ends up #1 is if they trade it for Patrick Sharp.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Rask, Bergy and Krejci won't allow us to tank that bad.

Unless Rask is badly injured/traded. Then it could be a different story.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
What a silly thread. Getting an average roster to perform better than expected is something that Claude Julien is very good at. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bruins made the playoffs next year.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
What a silly thread. Getting an average roster to perform better than expected is something that Claude Julien is very good at. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bruins made the playoffs next year.

Not completely knocking Julien, but he didn't do that last season.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Not completely knocking Julien, but he didn't do that last season.

Expectations were much higher last year. Most experts saw the Bruins as the only threat in the Eastern Conference.

Now Chara and Seids are one year closer to retirement, and Hamilton and Looch are gone. The team is now average at best on paper. This is exactly where Claude Julien's system can shine. His system struggles with high end talent but he is one of the best a taking an average team and making it overperform.

If we can get a couple of young guys to surprise and perform well (say Spooner and an unexpected newcomer), I have no doubt that the team will compete for a playoffs spot, not for next year's 1st overall pick.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
If Arizona really offered their 2016 1st, which obviously Sweeney turned down, we'd have a legitimate shot at this kid*

*for 3-5 years before he is traded

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney and Co. have no interest in high-end skill guys like Matthews and would likely pass on him for the best projected 3rd line grinding winger.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Am in the minority in thinking that the Bruins will grab one of the wild card spots? Yes the team is worse than last years underachievers, but its not that bad to be thinking lottery.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Am in the minority in thinking that the Bruins will grab one of the wild card spots? Yes the team is worse than last years underachievers, but its not that bad to be thinking lottery.
I mean it's possible, but I'd say unlikely at this point. I'll wait until I see what happens the rest of the offseason before judging.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I mean it's possible, but I'd say unlikely at this point. I'll wait until I see what happens the rest of the offseason before judging.

VERY unlikely. We're trapped like rats. By February, Chara will be on crutches; Seidenberg will have a pulled groin; McQuaid will have come down with some strange strain of bird flu combined with a strained gall bladder; Rask will have been shelled more than Tikrit; and Kells will be centering Pasta and Connolly, with predictable outcome.

14th in East.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

It's all about the defense. It has to be addressed or it will be very difficult to make the playoffs. The forward group and goaltending is certainly playoff-quality, but the defense most definitely isn't.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
even if we get him we'd decide we don't like the shoes he wears and trade him for a 2024 1st round pick, a second and a conditional 3rd and say we've improved because we turned a single first round pick into a 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

I'm so negative right now.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Shaun, this team is so bad now and taken so many steps back, that even he won't help. This team is going to be on the outside looking in for a long time. Sweeney has no clue. A 3rd for rinaldo? Really? Until they clear front office out, meaning neely, jfj, sweeney, this team is ****ed.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Does it really matter? If Neely, Sweeney, and company are still here I highly doubt that Matthews would last more than 3 years here. He'll want to be paid, then will get traded for $.50 and then the team will launch a smear campaign against him on their propaganda TV show in between 10 consecutive Sal's Pizza commercials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad