Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i would say Puljujärvi is in the mix also. He's in top-5 points/60mins, while playing against men. Could have produced same kind of points, if got same amount of TOI as Barkov.

he is definitely there, just hate having to spell his name correctly :laugh:

Jones is so much easier! :sarcasm:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
if this is based off of forwards, then Matthews and Max Jones have to be the top 2 right now...both USNDP kids are having monster years and Jones likely heads to the OHL and watch his dominance there...

but overall top 2 right now...Matthews vs Chychrun IMO..

Whats the deal with Jones? He's got an insane amount of PIM's. I've never seen him play and know nothing about him other than what his profile on eliteprospects says, but his stats don't really scream monster year or top 2 forward in the draft.

And what about Clayton Keller? He's doing just as well, if not better than both Matthews and Eichel statistically at the same age. Does he have a shot at going top 3? 5? 10? I see that he's pretty small so that could be a concern.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Whats the deal with Jones? He's got an insane amount of PIM's. I've never seen him play and know nothing about him other than what his profile on eliteprospects says, but his stats don't really scream monster year or top 2 forward in the draft.

And what about Clayton Keller? He's doing just as well, if not better than both Matthews and Eichel statistically at the same age. Does he have a shot at going top 3? 5? 10? I see that he's pretty small so that could be a concern.

Jones is just a man already. Kid could jump into the pros with his style IMO.'

It isn't always about stats and if Crouse can get the hype he gets, I can only imagine what Jones will get because he can do it all on both sides of the puck. Kid is a beast.

Keller is a stud no doubt. Size might drop him some spots but top 10-15 is very likely right now with the way he has been playing.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Jones is just a man already. Kid could jump into the pros with his style IMO.'

It isn't always about stats and if Crouse can get the hype he gets, I can only imagine what Jones will get because he can do it all on both sides of the puck. Kid is a beast.

Keller is a stud no doubt. Size might drop him some spots but top 10-15 is very likely right now with the way he has been playing.

Of course it isn't all about stats, but sometimes that's all you have. That's why I was asking. There had to be more to it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Keller if he grows a couple of inches and adds some mass, because it seems like he has all the talent in the world.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who goes first overall? Who is better now? Who will be better in the NHL? For fans of teams that will be picking in the early lottery, which player do you want?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Matthews x4.

Smarter player, better skater, who himself has an elite level shot.

Laine is a very rare talent, but there's no way he usurps the big, skilled #1 C.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I'd love to see laine on Nylanders wing, he's NY preference but I haven't seen enough of either to say who's better.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Ovechkin/Malkin 2004 repeat on a lesser scale.

Can't go wrong really.

But just like Ovechkin, Laine could have that x-factor as they both progress. Kid was born to shoot.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Matthews.

But as a Leafs fan, I wouldn't mind Laine either.

Ovechkin vs. Malkin is a nice comparison in terms of how close it is. This time the center (Matthews) will take it though.

Whoever picks 2nd shouldn't feel bad at all though. Laine will be feasting on NHL goalies for a long time to if he reaches his potential.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Laine is getting overrated, now. He's absolutely amazing, but Matthews is better, still. Puljujarvi is right there with Laine, imo.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Laine seems to be better at almost in everything.

Is this really the case? Scouts across the board seem to almost unanimously have Matthews going #1.

I mean, there is a minority that think Laine is giving Matthews a run for his money and should be picked first, but it's not the majority. Not even close. If what you're saying is true, surely everyone would have Laine #1?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Laine is getting overrated, now. He's absolutely amazing, but Matthews is better, still. Puljujarvi is right there with Laine, imo.
Don't know whos better but I know that Matthews is a center and centers go before wingers. Unless Laine would be clearly better but that's not the case.

And Puljujärvi is not right there with Laine, having seen 80% of his playoff games this season. Laine is now TOP-2 lock, that's for sure. I would be very surprised if someone has Pulju in their target before Laine.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Don't know whos better but I know that Matthews is a center and centers go before wingers. Unless Laine would be clearly better but that's not the case.

And Puljujärvi is not right there with Laine, having seen 80% of his playoff games this season. Laine is now TOP-2 lock, that's for sure. I would be very surprised if someone has Pulju in their target before Laine.

Just because one is doing better than the other right now, doesn't mean they aren't comparable. Puljujarvi and Laine are absolutely comparable, and both pretty equal on effectiveness. They will have similar impacts in the NHL.

Centers, when everything else is equal, impact a game more than wingers as well... Therefore Matthews is the consensus #1 pick and absolutely should be. Not discrediting Laine. He's fantastic too. Not many like him.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It will partially depend on the club drafting 1st. If they're already deep down the middle, so deep that they have to stuff some extra centres on wings, they might entertain themselves with the idea of picking Laine.

However, there aren't all that many teams like that. Of the ones with a chance to win the lottery, only Buffalo and Edmonton might fit the bill. Then there are clubs like Columbus and Arizona that would take Matthews even if most considered Laine not just being neck to neck, but ahead.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It will partially depend on the club drafting 1st. If they're already deep down the middle, so deep that they have to stuff some extra centres on wings, they might entertain themselves with the idea of picking Laine.

However, there aren't all that many teams like that. Of the ones with a chance to win the lottery, only Buffalo and Edmonton might fit the bill. Then there are clubs like Columbus and Arizona that would take Matthews even if most considered Laine not just being neck to neck, but ahead.

Edmonton would probably take Matthews and move RNH out.

Buffalo is the only one that might prefer Laine.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Edmonton would probably take Matthews and move RNH out.

Buffalo is the only one that might prefer Laine.

Is Laine that close to Matthews though? I always had the mindset that Buffalo would take Matthews if they had the first no matter what, and just shift him to wing or put O'Reilly on the wing when he's not taking important, defensive faceoffs.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Laine's clutch is just something else. and him scoring 4 goals in his last 2 games (tying the game to take Tappara to OT both times) in the semi-finals against a top 3 defensive team in europe is just hard to ignore.

Matthews hasn't proven to have that type of clutch (you can't refer to the U18s forever).

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Is Laine that close to Matthews though? I always had the mindset that Buffalo would take Matthews if they had the first no matter what, and just shift him to wing or put O'Reilly on the wing when he's not taking important, defensive faceoffs.

Now that's the problem with these boards. People don't seem to watch the games, they just had a set mindset on that Matthews is better since day 1 and just stick to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad