Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
Which one is better? Honestly i dont give a @#!%. Which one is taken number 1 in draft? Who cares... If Laine is taken number 10 i dont give a rats ass. He is going to be a great player and Finland gets new Selänne.

But lets not fool our selfs... Lets change nationalities. Mathews is Finnish and Laine is Canadien. Which one would be consensus number 1? Yes... Being a center doesnt matter anymore :sarcasm:

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
Matthews hasnt play against KHL stacked team before. Intresting to see how he fairs. Unfortenetly im workin whole evening so cant watch the game, so ill just rely on these completely unbiased opinions here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Which one is better? Honestly i dont give a @#!%. Which one is taken number 1 in draft? Who cares... If Laine is taken number 10 i dont give a rats ass. He is going to be a great player and Finland gets new Selänne.

But lets not fool our selfs... Lets change nationalities. Mathews is Finnish and Laine is Canadien. Which one would be consensus number 1? Yes... Being a center doesnt matter anymore :sarcasm:

Matthews is american.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Laine will out score Matthews this tournament by virtue of the team he plays on. Finland is really good and USA is not so good. Laine is playing with Barkiv and Jokinen and Matthews is playing with... Maroon...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Laine will out score Matthews this tournament by virtue of the team he plays on. Finland is really good and USA is not so good. Laine is playing with Barkiv and Jokinen and Matthews is playing with... Maroon...

Yup, but in the long run it really doesn't matter imo.

If your scouts need a 10 game tournament to make a decision between the two players at this stage of the game(and this high in the draft) , you need some new scouts.

Hapiii

Jun 30, 2013
Matthews hasnt play against KHL stacked team before. Intresting to see how he fairs. Unfortenetly im workin whole evening so cant watch the game, so ill just rely on these completely unbiased opinions here.

He did fine against NHL stacked Canada. I dont get the hate between Laine and Matthews fans, cant we just root for bouth? Does it even matter who gets picked first...

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015

...Matthews is American... I would still take him, even though I love Laine. Nationality means nothing to me other than bonus bragging rights if we ever actually assembled a good, possibly cup winning team. :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm reading through that last thread and it's getting worse and worse, I was hoping we could be few days off without a new vs thread.

You want my opinion? Laine is a one trick pony and Matthews is a full toolbox

Why are you commenting on Laine if you don't even know what type of player he is?

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
He did fine against NHL stacked Canada. I dont get the hate between Laine and Matthews fans, cant we just root for bouth? Does it even matter who gets picked first...

I dont hate Matthews lol. I ment it both way.

Apr 27, 2016

Yes. I was thinking same thing. Why does it have to be so hard thing to someones. Both of them are excellent players, and are projected to be franchise players. Who cares which one goes number one? It is obvious Toronto is going to pick AM, but that does not make Laine worse player. In my eyes they are par.

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

Yes, now Laine have skilled line mates WHC, not so much in FEL where he has just reagular level players with average playmaking skills. Matthews have best line mates in NLA which is not as close that compete league than FEL and now Matthews not have the best line mates WHC, but just regular level players.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Matthews' linemate Maroon in the Canada game already scratched for this game. Goes to show quality of linemates he's playing with, certainly no where near Barkov and Jokinen. US as a whole is using this tourney as development for the younger guys, while the Finns are one of the favourites.

So certainly you need context if we're comparing performances at this WC.

EDIT: Looks like he's dropped down a line instead, but still.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Will he do it in the jets also if theyre better than leafs then? I get your point but its not always everything

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Matthews looked pretty good on PP. Fast hands, pass first mentality there

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews' linemate Maroon in the Canada game already scratched for this game. Goes to show quality of linemates he's playing with, certainly no where near Barkov and Jokinen. US as a whole is using this tourney as development for the younger guys, while the Finns are one of the favourites.

Maroon is on the PP. Almost scored.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Laine making this top 6 also tells about how good he is. This is always best possible roster serious tourney for Finland

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

How many are taking into account that Matthews played with 1st liners in the NLA throughout the whole year and Laine played zero games on the 1st line in regular season?
Laine has performed no matter who he has played with, even though he gets comments like he's a winger that needs someone to carry him, he's one dimensional and so on.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Will he do it in the jets also if theyre better than leafs then? I get your point but its not always everything

I think most people were predicting Laine would outscore Matthews if he was put on Winnipegs top 6 next year. Thought there was a obscure poll somewhere doing that.
Think Matthews stabilizes the Leafs top 6 just a bit more but they're still going to be a very, very young team that makes mistakes and has to learn more.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

Only way Belarus wins this is PP, so I think Maroon was dropped down the lines because of penalties yesterday.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Matthews with assist. Nothing special but always good to get on paper. Good job

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews gets an assist on Wideman goal as PP expires. Maroon provided the screen as the Goalie never saw it, I guess this is why it is wise to leave the coaching up to the professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad