Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
How do Finns fans see Barkov vs Laine?
Since Auston plays much the same way as Barkov

I'll take Barkov. Then again, I take Barkov over any young center not named McDavid right now. Even over Eichel, though that could change since Barkov has had more time to develop. Right now, however, Barkov is better defensively and had more points in less games played.

We'll see which of Matthews and Barkov turns out to be better in the long run, but right now, Barkov is proven while Matthews has yet to step foot on NHL ice.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
What do you mean you don't know about the finjunior teams? Laine played in Liiga.

I mean leagues before as in development leagues, Matthews had a very impressive stint in the US development league, or in Canada a league like the CHL, so what I'm saying is that Matthews has mastered and dominated multiple levels from junior leagues to pro leagues.

I dont know how it works in Finland so outside of the season and U20's WJC I don't know if Laine has dominated for as long as Matthews has

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With Winnipeg winning the #2 pick, Matthews might have some extra motivation to excel at the WHC. He'll be wanting to convince the Leafs to take him @ #1 so he can play at the center of the hockey universe (not being sarcastic - TO really is that). Also, he really fits what the Leafs need and how they are being put together as a team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
With Winnipeg winning the #2 pick, Matthews might have some extra motivation to excel at the WHC. He'll be wanting to convince the Leafs to take him @ #1 so he can play at the center of the hockey universe (not being sarcastic - TO really is that). Also, he really fits what the Leafs need and how they are being put together as a team.

hmm that's true, if I was a prospect, I take Toronto over a city like Winnipet 11 out of 10 times, (sorry Winnipegers, didn't mean to offend), but I'm 99% sure, Mathews will be the top pick.

Laine will be the new "finnish flash"

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Totally unnecessary comment

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Off topic sort of but does anybody have a pre-tournament schedule of the World Championships that they could link to me?

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
hmm that's true, if I was a prospect, I take Toronto over a city like Winnipet 11 out of 10 times, (sorry Winnipegers, didn't mean to offend), but I'm 99% sure, Mathews will be the top pick.

Laine will be the new "finnish flash"

Totally unnecessary comment

We're use to it here in Winnipeg.But a real hockey player wants to win the Stanley Cup.Winnipeg has been stock piling draft picks for 5 years now and simply have the best young talent in the league.

With either Matthews or Laine and Kyle Connor coming next year it's a given that not only will we make the playoffs next season but we could win a couple of rounds.

wZpJKOO.jpg

This ^ was before we added Laine/Matthews and Connor,and Hamonic on defense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We're use to it here in Winnipeg.But a real hockey player wants to win the Stanley Cup.Winnipeg has been stock piling draft picks for 5 years now and simply have the best young talent in the league.

With either Matthews or Laine and Kyle Connor coming next year it's a given that not only will we make the playoffs next season but we could win a couple of rounds.

wZpJKOO.jpg

You aren't getting Hamonic and keeping one of Ehlers or Connor. And I doubt you make it past round 1.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've been talking with Winnipeg fans and I'm pretty confident in saying Laine will absolutely love Winnipeg and the fans will love him, and that teams future looks so damm bright and feels like he has a chance to develop into the player for Jets.

Last edited:

snizzbone*

Off topic sort of but does anybody have a pre-tournament schedule of the World Championships that they could link to me?

No idea for the rest of the teams but USA only had the one exhibition to my knowledge. Next game is this Friday vs Canada, their first game of the tournament.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

wZpJKOO.jpg

I was with you till the bolded. Also Hamonic is not a Jet (and if he becomes one at least one or more of your shinny pieces will undoubtedly be going the other way). Connor is no shoe in to make the squad either, but training camp and summer will dictate that. Tons of talent upcoming no doubt. No need to disparage a city on a hockey board....

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

wZpJKOO.jpg

Don't they do those covers for every team

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I think it's a bit weird that now when Matthews' player type comparable is Kopitar & Bergeron etc. , he is the preferred one number one pick. But when Barkov was compared to same players in 2013, almost no one back then wanted him first, but rather the more flashy and more scoring option in MacKinnon, much like now Laine is the more flashy option. What if Laine had been true center all this time?

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
As stated before by many posters, it is quite irrelevant which of these two players goes first. Matthews is wonderful prospect, really excelling on all aspects of hockey. Laine is more a bombastic scorer with flashy moves and killer instinct. It's more a philosophical question: do you value more overall excellence or do you want have potentially best goalscorer and PP-guy in league?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it's a bit weird that now when Matthews' player type comparable is Kopitar & Bergeron etc. , he is the preferred one number one pick. But when Barkov was compared to same players in 2013, almost no one back then wanted him first, but rather the more flashy and more scoring option in MacKinnon, much like now Laine is the more flashy option. What if Laine had been true center all this time?
I think in retrospect people have changed their mind for valid reasons. I think in the early 2010's teams and scouts were extremely sceptical of the quality of players coming out of Finland. Granlund and Armia, were the first guys to re-emerge as first round talents, and neither have exceeded expectations. At the time many thought Granlund, Armia and Terravainen may of been drafted too low. After having a long drought without a high-quality guy, people were naturally suspicious of Barkov, particularly after a sub-par WJC, where he racked up most of his points in the relegation round. Given what Risto and Barkov have done, the perception of the SM-Liiga has changed and has led to these guys not having as much of that worry attached to them.

I'd also say Mackinnon, was viewed as a franchise center, so it isn't a like for like comparison. Many thought Mackinnon was on par with Tavares and Stamkos, and how he destroyed the Memorial cup helped huge, combined with the fact Roy really wanted him after coaching against him for two years Remember, the Panthers did draft Barkov over the flashiest most exciting winger in the draft when they chose him over Drouin, who went 3rd to Tampa after.

While you could also saw Matthews is coming out of an even more suspicious league playing in a league we rarely see top prospects, his track record at the USNDP minimizes these concerns, considering he was the top prospect when he left to play for Zurich.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I think in retrospect people have changed their mind for valid reasons. I think in the early 2010's teams and scouts were extremely sceptical of the quality of players coming out of Finland. Granlund and Armia, were the first guys to re-emerge as first round talents, and neither have exceeded expectations. At the time many thought Granlund, Armia and Terravainen may of been drafted too low. After having a long drought without a high-quality guy, people were naturally suspicious of Barkov, particularly after a sub-par WJC, where he racked up most of his points in the relegation round. Given what Risto and Barkov have done, the perception of the SM-Liiga has changed and has led to these guys not having as much of that worry attached to them.

I'd also say Mackinnon, was viewed as a franchise center, so it isn't a like for like comparison. Many thought Mackinnon was on par with Tavares and Stamkos, and how he destroyed the Memorial cup helped huge, combined with the fact Roy really wanted him after coaching against him for two years Remember, the Panthers did draft Barkov over the flashiest most exciting winger in the draft when they chose him over Drouin, who went 3rd to Tampa after.

While you could also saw Matthews is coming out of an even more suspicious league playing in a league we rarely see top prospects, his track record at the USNDP minimizes these concerns, considering he was the top prospect when he left to play for Zurich.

What Barkov did against actual NHL players in Lockout was special. It was great to have possibility to compare him to 1st line NHL C's and top 6 D's. He didn't only play well against them he dominated in those games in all 3 zones. Do you even realize how extraordinary that is? He outplayed NHL players in that year over and over again and he had just turn 17 year old. What is less suspicious than dominating against actual NHL players? Barkov was special back then. What MacKinnon did in WJC? Drouin? Team Finland was mess back then and Barkov didn't have system in that team to play. There was no doubt that Barkov was best talent of the draft. NHL draft rankings etc will always have biased opinion towards North American based players. I remember NA media stating about big 3 in 2013 draft (Jones,MacKinnon and Drouin) when there was actually more talented european guy putting numbers in european top tier league which broke many records and never have happened before. Just what Laine did in playoffs this year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Gotta love the Jets' position in this draft. They won't have to decide between the BPA and the need, just grap which ever is available. WHC starting on Friday and for once I think I'm going to tune into and watch the USA games as well. Matthews is an exciting prospect regardless of not being half as much fun to watch as Laine. This is where he can silence the doubters (of being the unmatched first pick in the draft regardless of the position) by excelling in a stage where the level is higher than what he's had to face in his career, excluding the weaker countries of course. It also serves the purpose of seeing how he can handle the pressure. Meanwhile Laine just has to... well be Laine and knowing him, he doesn't probably really even let all the spotlight get in the head in a way that would affect his game.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
To me it seems a lot like what have you done for me lately, Laine had a great playoffs and he did some great things and granted I don't know anything about the fins junior teams so I may be biased here

But to me Mattewes is BPA because of not only what did in the Swiss-a but what he did in the US development league, last year he had the most dominant season of anyone ever in the history of that league. Considering guys like Eichel, Kessel, Kane he was able to up one all of them

Laine had a great playoffs and a really good season but to me Matthews resume is still much more impressive and arguably his seasons this year is more impressive then Laine's at least that's my opinion.

This may also be a bit of North American bias but from what I've hear from professional scouts on radio and TV here in Canada it's not really much of a debate, I mean most are 99% sure Matthews is a better prospect

But once again this is my opinion take it for what it is

I don't exactly understand how having a dominant season in a junior "league" compares to winning the MVP of the playoffs of one of the toughest leagues in the world? :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What Barkov did against actual NHL players in Lockout was special. It was great to have possibility to compare him to 1st line NHL C's and top 6 D's. He didn't only play well against them he dominated in those games in all 3 zones. Do you even realize how extraordinary that is? He outplayed NHL players in that year over and over again and he had just turn 17 year old. What is less suspicious than dominating against actual NHL players? Barkov was special back then. What MacKinnon did in WJC? Drouin? Team Finland was mess back then and Barkov didn't have system in that team to play. There was no doubt that Barkov was best talent of the draft. NHL draft rankings etc will always have biased opinion towards North American based players. I remember NA media stating about big 3 in 2013 draft (Jones,MacKinnon and Drouin) when there was actually more talented european guy putting numbers in european top tier league which broke many records and never have happened before. Just what Laine did in playoffs this year.
Liiga wasn't exactly filled with top NHL centers matching up against him. Yeah its impressive he outmatched guys like Eric Fehr, the best forwards to go over was Boedker and Turris. Not one guy who played over there was viewed as a 1st line center at that time, and Turris is only a borderline one now. And the only top pairing defender to play over there was Karlsson. I'm just telling you what perception was at the time, people where sceptical of Liiga/ young Finnish prospects, which led to guys like Granlund and Terravainen slipping in their classes.

You love to claim bias towards by North American's by NHL teams, there is no evidence of this, Atlanta took Kovy over Spezza (who was insanely hyped), Atlanta took Kari Lehtonen over Jay Bouwmeester (A defender at one point considered the best defensive prospect of his time), and so on. Barkov still went ahead of Drouin and Jones. Due to the performance by Barkov and Risto coming over most of that fear has been erased. And its yet to be seen if Barkov is the best of the guys in the 2013 class, last year at this time most would of taken Monahan, and the year before that Mackinnon. He's a great player, probably who I'd take 1st in a re-draft of 2013, but I explained why people were sceptical of Barkov at the time.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

If Laine had been a true center there wouldn't be this thread. Laine has almost closed the gap already but it's the position mainly getting Matthews ahead of him. If Laine was a NA center, Finland would have it's first ever number one pick. Well he can't be finnish and NA at the same time but namsayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad