Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
off topic but nylander center marner on the wing again today, first home game since they last played together must be a babcock thing wanting matchups for them.

Also Matthews wouldn't be out there if he wasn't close that's great news
I get that babs wants the matchups at home but I'm surprised he didn't at least try and put those guys back together again at least temporarily while they were on the road. It's not like things could have gotten much worst against the Caps.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I get that babs wants the matchups at home but I'm surprised he didn't at least try and put those guys back together again at least temporarily while they were on the road. It's not like things could have gotten much worst against the Caps.

I missed the game but going by twitter Marner/Nylander where put together, in the 3rd period. Again I was only going by twitter though but Shilton, Mike in buffalo and Henny all tweeted it

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
off topic but nylander center marner on the wing again today, first home game since they last played together must be a babcock thing wanting matchups for them.

Also Matthews wouldn't be out there if he wasn't close that's great news

That means Komarov is back with Kadri. f***! I am so sick of that, it really almost makes me not wanna watch the game on Saturday.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I missed the game but going by twitter Marner/Nylander where put together, in the 3rd period. Again I was only going by twitter though but Shilton, Mike in buffalo and Henny all tweeted it
It's possible, to be quite honest I'm guilty of turning off the Caps and Sabres games this week before the half way point just to try and salvage my night lol. I was getting pretty agitated. Caps game they played like shit but the sabres game was worst with all the fluky bounces.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's possible, to be quite honest I'm guilty of turning off the Caps and Sabres games this week before the half way point just to try and salvage my night lol. I was getting pretty agitated. Caps game they played like **** but the sabres game was worst with all the fluky bounces.

he definitely didn't do it in the sabres game I forgot about that game haha, I was talking about the outdoor game

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That means Komarov is back with Kadri. ****! I am so sick of that, it really almost makes me not wanna watch the game on Saturday.

yeah but with komarov there give them the tough matchups and free nylander/marner to work their magic at home together.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
No way saturday. He is not shooting hard at all. Which means he still not 100%

Until he starts ripping off shots and is in a contact practice then we should wait. Heck wait until at least a week. I dont want him to make things worse. Playoffs are number 1 thing right now to focus on.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
yeah but with komarov there give them the tough matchups and free nylander/marner to work their magic at home together.

Yes, but then you effectively shut down Kadri. How can you do that? It's not like that line is shutting down Crosby anyway. I am just flustered. Sullivan says "Thanks, Mike, for essentially neutering your best C after Matthews". Come on.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes, but then you effectively shut down Kadri. How can you do that? It's not like that line is shutting down Crosby anyway. I am just flustered. Sullivan says "Thanks, Mike, for essentially neutering your best C after Matthews". Come on.

well no. because Kadri and Leo were good together before.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No way saturday. He is not shooting hard at all. Which means he still not 100%

Until he starts ripping off shots and is in a contact practice then we should wait. Heck wait until at least a week. I dont want him to make things worse. Playoffs are number 1 thing right now to focus on.
It's a process. Trainers probably told him to participate in practice but don't do anything strenuous to the shoulder. They'll evaluate how it felt and next practice maybe he'll do a little more. I imagine he's back in normal practice on Sunday/Monday and playing next Wednesday.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's a process. Trainers probably told him to participate in practice but don't do anything strenuous to the shoulder. They'll evaluate how it felt and next practice maybe he'll do a little more. I imagine he's back in normal practice on Sunday/Monday and playing next Wednesday.

i hope so. boy do i miss him
like we've got a great hot chocolate, but Matty's the hazelnut shot that makes it awesome.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He needs games before the playoffs start obviously, but I wouldn't play him until next saturday at the earliest. It'll be 22 days at that point which is reasonable for his timetable

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
i hope so. boy do i miss him
like we've got a great hot chocolate, but Matty's the hazelnut shot that makes it awesome.
I always miss having him out there. Just adds something special to watching the team play. Obviously get him back in when he's good to go. But as soon as that is, I'll be glad to watch him play. Just not as fun without him there

Reactions: Daisy Jane

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How many practices did Matthews have prior to him coming back from his concussion this past December? I'm honestly asking because I was on vacation at that time and didn't keep up 100% with all the news about it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's not going to be back until he's completely fine because players will obviously target his shoulder. I think he'll be back on the 14th against Dallas

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Guys he’s completely fine now. The science ignorance on this board is staggering. You dont get thrown back into games once you are symptom free, once you reach that point you are still 1 to 2 weeks away because you need to build back your muscle mass and timing/manipulation with the affected body part. It is close to impossible from a pain standpoint to shoot a puck with any kind of shoulder issue. The fact that he is effortlessly shooting and not visibly aching tells you that the shoulder as of now is fine.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Guys he’s completely fine now. The science ignorance on this board is staggering. You dont get thrown back into games once you are symptom free, once you reach that point you are still 1 to 2 weeks away because you need to build back your muscle mass and timing/manipulation with the affected body part. It is close to impossible from a pain standpoint to shoot a puck with any kind of shoulder issue. The fact that he is effortlessly shooting and not visibly aching tells you that the shoulder as of now is fine.

Are you saying you are above science and then continue to use science to defend your opinion?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's our rock. No one will ever be completely 100% in a season, even after recovering from injury - but the Leafs will do their best to bring him back up to 99.99%. Until he's at that point he won't be back, and I have no problem with that. Whether that's the 17th of March, or end of March. The real season is the playoffs and as long as he's back to normal for the first round that's all that matters. Ideally they want him to get a couple games in before the playoffs.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
My initial estimate when they said 2-4 weeks was March 14th, based on the schedule.

The Leafs schedule thankfully (in terms of the Matthews injury) went very light almost right after Papi got hurt, and it doesn't pick up until March 14th. That's when it goes back to 3-4 games per week, as opposed to this weird week-and-a-half or so when its been much lighter.

So even if Matthews seems like he's ok for Saturday, its easy to see management electing to rest him and tack on another four days off, just in case. Makes sense based on the Leafs likely not moving out of 3rd place in the Atlantic, and could be a huge blessing in disguise come playoff time.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad