Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I would be interested in seeing him dial down the gentlemanly play a little bit for the sake of self preservation.

He goes into high traffic areas looking to make a play but gets manhandled a lot. All he wants is the puck and all the opponent is doing is trying to score bruises and add wear and tear. You see that with Malkin a lot too. Would like to see him "snap" once in a while to keep people honest around him and remind them he's a 6'3" 220 pound player. A sudden, vicious takedown of a Brad Marchand next time he's carving you up not only scores you street cred and room to operate, but also keeps the mileage off. Just remind people they're at risk of losing their teeth if they get too cozy.

I like the concept and I agree. that said, Malkin has played with a serious edge for years now has still spent more time on the IR than almost any other star player in the league.

The fact is that no matter what these guys do, they are such puck possession beasts and are such threats to score at any time that they are going to get beat on regardless.

They're also pretty big targets at their respective sizes. Despite being so elusive, there's just not much they can do if a salty defenceman wants to cross check them in the back while they effortlessly spin off them and into open ice.

So, other than asking them to not have the puck so often and to not play in front of the net, what can you do?

Refs need to call more of the abuse and blatant obstruction, but the best players in the game have been saying this for ages.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Missing Matthews for stretches during this season has made me realize how much i'd appreciate having a guy like Tavares join the team. Kind of like in Pittsburgh if Crosby or Malkin go down, you still have a guy that can handle a top line centre role.

Kadri is a good player but a little over matched in that role. Centre by committee doesn't work more often then it does. I mean you look at teams without a top line centre this year and they struggle. Columbus has been trying to do it by committee this year and it's not happening.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Missing Matthews for stretches during this season has made me realize how much i'd appreciate having a guy like Tavares join the team. Kind of like in Pittsburgh if Crosby or Malkin go down, you still have a guy that can handle a top line centre role.

Kadri is a good player but a little over matched in that role. Centre by committee doesn't work more often then it does. I mean you look at teams without a top line centre this year and they struggle. Columbus has been trying to do it by committee this year and it's not happening.
Nylander would be a great fill in if we didn't saddle him with Brown and Hyman

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nylander would be a great fill in if we didn't saddle him with Brown and Hyman

I don't think Babcock is going to ever embrace Nylander as a centre but I think if you put Nylander in the exact same situation as Bozak (heavy OZ % starts) and didn't put him out there in tough match ups he'd thrive, but I think he'll remain a winger for Matthews and emergency centre for us. I don't think Nylander is going to be considered a top line centre though, although I believe he did go PT/Game so far this season at centre?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think Babcock is going to ever embrace Nylander as a centre but I think if you put Nylander in the exact same situation as Bozak (heavy OZ % starts) and didn't put him out there in tough match ups he'd thrive, but I think he'll remain a winger for Matthews and emergency centre for us. I don't think Nylander is going to be considered a top line centre though, although I believe he did go PT/Game so far this season at centre?
his possession stats and PPG as a center have been pretty good. he has some lapses defensively but that should be no cause for concern. I think if our top lines without Matty were like
Jvr-Willy-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

they could do the heavy lifting for us. Willy isn't good enough to carry wingers like Hyman and Brown though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
his possession stats and PPG as a center have been pretty good. he has some lapses defensively but that should be no cause for concern. I think if our top lines without Matty were like
Jvr-Willy-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

they could do the heavy lifting for us. Willy isn't good enough to carry wingers like Hyman and Brown though

He'd have to carry JVR, but in a different way, that line would be fun in the offensive zone but even tonight JVR flew the zone early a couple of times, not sure Nylander can cover for someone like that yet either. Pretty sure Babcock is doing it to help insulate Nylander. We don't have that many 2-way guys to help ease in Nylander yet.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He'd have to carry JVR, but in a different way, that line would be fun in the offensive zone but even tonight JVR flew the zone early a couple of times, not sure Nylander can cover for someone like that yet either. Pretty sure Babcock is doing it to help insulate Nylander. We don't have that many 2-way guys to help ease in Nylander yet.

It's hard to shelter two lines at ES ... That put Nylander under fire. It'll be easier to use Nylander on home ice going forward. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Marner go back to his wing to create an offense-heavy line with Kadri's line being the shutdown like and Bozak's line continuing to be sheltered.

I guess the silver lining of this Matthews' injury is that it gives the Leafs some real evaluation time to see if Nylander can be a centre as early as next year. That will impact their pursuit of Tavares IMO.

I have to admit, line combo's of Matthews-Nylander; Tavares-Marner; and Kadri-Kapanen seems very appealing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's hard to shelter two lines at ES ... That put Nylander under fire. It'll be easier to use Nylander on home ice going forward. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Marner go back to his wing to create an offense-heavy line with Kadri's line being the shutdown like and Bozak's line continuing to be sheltered.

I guess the silver lining of this Matthews' injury is that it gives the Leafs some real evaluation time to see if Nylander can be a centre as early as next year. That will impact their pursuit of Tavares IMO.

I have to admit, line combo's of Matthews-Nylander; Tavares-Marner; and Kadri-Kapanen seems very appealing.

I have played with so many line configurations if we added Tavares. If we were able to move Matt Martin, we could go in on a lucrative 1 year deal for Rick Nash too. People can say what they want but I think he's a heck of a guy to have in your top 9. Let's ignore the labeling of "line 1, line 2" etc.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Nash-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Brodziak/Beagle-Grundstrom

(Assuming Brown went in a trade to upgrade defense)

Gautheir can serve as a back up centre and finding a 4th line winger shouldn't be too hard. Nash provides some defensive help for Tavares who isn't the best defensive player. I thought about Kovalchuk too on a 1 year deal but not sure he'll go for 1 year but could do some good work on the PP for us, just worry about him with most of our centre combinations.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he has gone ppg so far at C. With bozak going replacing his sheltered minutes with a slightly less sheltered Nylander is a good move, barring signing taveras of course. I also think if babcock was not going to fully embrace it he'd never put him there, just use Mareleau or Komarav and bump the rest up. It is something to me that is stupid not to fully try out, put him there next year with the knowledge that at anytime you can pair him back up Matthews for a instant top line at anytime you feel its not going to work. If you can shelter bozak 65% and still be a playoff team you can for sure shelter Nylander 60% maybe even less. Give him Kapanen and Johnsson and let the 2 rookies find their NHL feet while Nylande rfinds his C feet

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He'll probably be back against the Penguins

If he participates in a full contact practice, I would say that seems reasonable, but I don't think he'll be back quite that soon.

My guess is next Saturday vs the Habs. He may not start practicing full time until next week. They'll take the extra precaution.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If he participates in a full contact practice, I would say that seems reasonable, but I don't think he'll be back quite that soon.

My guess is next Saturday vs the Habs. He may not start practicing full time until next week. They'll take the extra precaution.
My guess shortly after the injury was Mar 14th, next week against Dallas. This gives him another full week of rest at home.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My guess shortly after the injury was Mar 14th, next week against Dallas. This gives him another full week of rest at home.

Makes sense. In any situation I see the Leafs giving him an extra couple of days, at the very least, after he says he feels good to go just to be sure the strength is there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like Matthews will be back Saturday, or very very soon. He's practicing with the team.

My timeline of late March was wrong.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
So if he plays this Saturday what was wrong with his shoulder then was it just bruised? Does a separated shoulder heal the quick ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It apparently was a grade 2 separation, which takes 2-4 weeks to heal.

We are on day 15 or 16 now so in the third week
Let's hope in this case it will be within the 2-3 week mark and he can play this Saturday.

Of course the fact he is at practice with the team is a good sign even if he's in the red non contact jersey.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthews didn’t participate in line drills, which is no surprise given the non-contact jersey.

We’ll see tomorrow.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Matthews didn’t participate in line drills, which is no surprise given the non-contact jersey.

We’ll see tomorrow.

off topic but nylander center marner on the wing again today, first home game since they last played together must be a babcock thing wanting matchups for them.

Also Matthews wouldn't be out there if he wasn't close that's great news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad