Auston Matthews has more goals and a higher gpg than Ovechkin age for age. And the gap is about to grow. Can he also make a run at 894?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
As already stated it will come down to staying healthy and scoring well into his late 30s for Matthews.

Goals since Matthews entered the league in 2016-17:

1. Matthews - 351
2. Ovechkin - 313
3. Draisaitl - 313
4. Pastrnak - 312
5. McDavid - 308

Those are age 31-38 seasons for Ovechkin.

Old Yeller hanging with the young bucks.

Reactions: WingsFan95

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I often use the expression "falls off a cliff" in play. I like Stamkos a lot as a player - but to me his play completely fell off a cliff post injury vs where it was before, for goals. He's had a great career with great seasons since, but for goal-scoring it's a huge gap before and after injury.

Could this happen to Matthews? Sure - anyone can get career ending/altering injury, causing their play to drop off a cliff. But in my opinion - it's extremely unlikely as that rarely happens.
Ok we can’t just call every player that was ever injured ruined by injury when they have like a decade of healthy seasons and good production after. Stamkos just didn’t age as well as Ovechkin. He otherwise aged fine. It’s Ovechkin who is the outlier. Not Stamkos.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Ok we can’t just call every player that was ever injured ruined by injury when they have like a decade of healthy seasons and good production after. Stamkos just didn’t age as well as Ovechkin. He otherwise aged fine. It’s Ovechkin who is the outlier. Not Stamkos.
If you can’t see the difference in his game before/after that injury, I don’t know what to tell you.

The way he has adapted is a real testament to his intelligence as a hockey player, IMO.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I suspect a high likelihood that Matthews will be “ruined” by injuries as well if we are ok applying such a drastically broad standard such that Stamkos falls under it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I suspect a high likelihood that Matthews will be “ruined” by injuries as well if we are ok applying such a drastically broad standard such that Stamkos falls under it.
Man 2 people pointed out what a different type of player Stamkos was after the injury here are his stats in the 4 years before the injury and he was the best goal corer in the league those 4 years.

He was also leading the NHL in goals when he broke his tibia.

This sums up his play before and after quite nicely.

Stamkos is barely recognizable one side of the injury to the other. It's almost like Thornton after Lindros treated him an unlimited knuckle buffet early in his career. Stamkos lost all aggression to his game. Most of the tendencies that made him interesting in his prime were gone. After that he became a distance scorer.

This is also a good writeup of his career here.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Miraculous recovery I suppose.
I'm not even sure what you are saying here.

You mentioned something about Stamkos aging normally and discounting his injuries and there is a lot pointing to the changes from those injuries and yet you are still pushing back.

Anyways it's a moot point as this thread is abut Matthews not Stamkos and at the same age they are trending pretty even and it will be interesting to watch going forward.

Ovi had 339 goals after his age 26 season and Matthews currently has 351 and is still adding.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not even sure what you are saying here.

You mentioned something about Stamkos aging normally and discounting his injuries and there is a lot pointing to the changes from those injuries and yet you are still pushing back.

Anyways it's a moot point as this thread is abut Matthews not Stamkos and at the same age they are trending pretty even and it will be interesting to watch going forward.

Ovi had 339 goals after his age 26 season and Matthews currently has 351 and is still adding.
Yes and if he doesn’t age as well as Ovechkin, I’ll be interested in whatever excuses people come up with to downplay Ovechkin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yes and if he doesn’t age as well as Ovechkin, I’ll be interested in whatever excuses people come up with to downplay Ovechkin.
Let's go back and look at what was posted.

Someone mentioned that Stamkos was a different type of player after his injury and how it affected his goal scoring then you went on to dismiss or downplay that injury.

Others have pointed out about his play and I linked an article and you are still saying that he aged even when it was pointed out that the injury was when he was aged 23.

It's obvious that you have made up your made about something not every relevant to this thread as it's about Matthews so let's leave the Stamkos thing behind shall we.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Let's go back and look at what was posted.

Someone mentioned that Stamkos was a different type of player after his injury and how it affected his goal scoring then you went on to dismiss or downplay that injury.

Others have pointed out about his play and I linked an article and you are still saying that he aged even when it was pointed out that the injury was when he was aged 23.

It's obvious that you have made up your made about something not every relevant to this thread as it's about Matthews so let's leave the Stamkos thing behind shall we.
No? I just noted that we will see if Matthews ages more like Ovechkin or Stamkos and then people tried to say Stamkos got ruined by injuries and unless Matthews is also ruined by injuries he should age more like Ovechkin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No? I just noted that we will see if Matthews ages more like Ovechkin or Stamkos and then people tried to say Stamkos got ruined by injuries and unless Matthews is also ruined by injuries he should age more like Ovechkin.
No one is saying that Stamkos got ruined by injuries but his playing style changes slightly.

Players also age differently and focus on different things but if Matthews stays healthy and decides to concentrate on goal scoring and is given a free run at it who knows how this ends up.

Lots of things at play here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad