Auston Matthews has more goals and a higher gpg than Ovechkin age for age. And the gap is about to grow. Can he also make a run at 894?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Pretty clearly the best and greatest. Any raw total things are just era dependent.
Lemieux was a better goal scorer. Gretzky is still the greatest, with his 50 in 39, highest one season total, and highest career total. If Ovechkin passes Gretzky's career total, I'll give him the crown then.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Who scored more goals in their 1st 7 complete seasons? Math is basically simple in this case. The people who have problem with this math are the ones going what if to defend their position. I could go thst 8th for Ovie? He could have gotten 60 to 70 goals is there was no strike that year. We have what is called hard data.

Whenever anyone uses the whatever per game stat they do not want to talk about the actual stats but the what if stats. We have 7 hard stat years to compare for the answer.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Ovechkin aged very, very well as a goal scorer, with multiple 50 goal seasons when a lot of players have already retired. Matthews has shown himself to be much more injury prone in what should be his prime physical years. That does not bode well for a guy chasing eight or nine hundred career goals.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Whenever anyone uses the whatever per game stat they do not want to talk about the actual stats but the what if stats. We have 7 hard stat years to compare for the answer.
The thread is 100% what if projection about the future of a player that has both more goals at a better goal per game at the same point of someone else career age wise.

Wondering if it could be possible for him to keep track in the future and try to beat the record, the league being quite higher scoring that what Ovechkin had to play in being quite likely helping.

Without what if where they were after 7.5 seasons, Ovechkin had 371 goals, Matthews 339 goals, but it seem that the age comp here is not less relevant considering we are trying to predict total scoring goals.

Both the per season, at that age and per game seem valuable info for the what if question of the thread, I am not sure how actual stats could answer it, it is speculation we are in big what if territory by purpose here.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Don't sweat it, MadLuke. Those two people aren't making any sense. Not that what they're saying is a lie or even necessarily wrong...but it's just...somehow not...relevant (?) despite the proximity to the subject matter...

When someone gives you a list of seven numbers in a list and then asks how many are greater than 50...you kind of know that you're about to have a very unproductive area of discussion haha

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I wonder how many players historically compared to Matthews as an even strength goal scorer? He has to be top 5 there at this point in his career

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I have the same list, only 2 other with 3 or more:
Bobby Hull*
Auston Matthews
Alex Ovechkin
Maurice Richard*
Wayne Gretzky*
Gordie Howe*
Jaromir Jagr
Brett Hull*

Matthews 5th is the yet to be finished 2023-2024, he has 4 has of yet.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I have the same list, only 2 other with 3 or more:
Bobby Hull*
Auston Matthews
Alex Ovechkin
Maurice Richard*
Wayne Gretzky*
Gordie Howe*
Jaromir Jagr
Brett Hull*

Matthews 5th is the yet to be finished 2023-2024, he has 4 has of yet.

That’s in their entire careers or after age 26 seasons?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Entire career, just used the consolidate Excel function on :
It's bizarre that Frank Mahovlich led the League in ES goals twice, and Mario only once.

Also, I did not realize that Lanny McDonald scored more ES goals than Gretzky in 1983.

Finally, what the hell is Wayne Babych doing on that list?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Babych took advantage of a weak league. In fact, most of that St. Louis team was built for that era it seems and had almost no staying power.

Babych ES scoring leader in '81 at age 21. Stopped being a regular in '86, out of the league in '87 at age 28.

Blake Dunlop - 7th in assists in '81. He was only an NHL regular from '79 to '84 across a number of organizations.

Jorgen Pettersson - career best 73 points in 62 games in his first season (age 24)...out of the league at 29.

Mike Zuke - Only an NHL regular from '80 to '84.

Perry Turnbull - 10th in ES goals in '82 at the age of 22, stopped being an NHL regular in '87 at age 27.

Tony Currie - nearly a point per game in '81 at age 23, out of the league in '85 at age 27.

Joe Micheletti - top pair here, out of the league within 18 months. Basically the same deal for Jack Brownschidle...

I'll hold it there, as that's just the top half of the roster...I'm sure the bottom is an ugly sight too.

Maybe I'll make this team a point to watch next...because a lot of these guys got some voting consideration for awards at the end of the year, they finished 1st with 107 points. Only for it take a 5th game and double OT to beat the .456 Penguins in the prelim round. Then losing in 6 to the .463 Rangers the next round.

They weren't close to that level of regular season success on either side of that season (~30 points worse in '80 and '82).

I always say, "weird stuff happens in bad league years..." but man, this is weird...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Only players I can find with 4+ ES goal titles: Richard, Howe, Hull, Gretzky, Ovechkin, Matthews. If there's anyone else, I can't find him. Not Espo, not Lemieux, not Conacher, not Lafleur, not Stamkos, not Brett, not Beliveau.
Remarkable. For both Matthews and that Mario isn't on there.

Reactions: authentic

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Remarkable. For both Matthews and that Mario isn't on there.

He had 4 non PP goals from time to time too, but all with some shorthanded or penalty shot it seems to break the ES streak on the obvious season to check for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boxscore

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
On pace for the third best adjusted goal total of all-time

Brett Hull 78
Matthews 74
Ovechkin 72

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Thru their first 8 seasons, it is almost a dead heat in terms of goals scored and GPG dominance vs. their respective peers.

One advantage Matthews has is scoring is up and shows no signs of going down while OV had a few years of DPE 2.0. This bodes well for Matthews' prime.

Hard to beleive that Matthews can match Ovechkin's Howe-like goalscoring longevity though.

Reactions: authentic

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If Matthews gets injured for the season right now, and everyone maintains their pace, he'd be 4th. He's just two ESG away from being on pace to tie MacKinnon's pace for a tie for 1st. Crazy. We're only at game 54.
2023-2024 Matthews 35 EVG is a Top 15 seasons in the 2000s in that regard already.

2021-2022-2024 Matthews scoring pace at even strenght have been the best since 2009-2010, #2-3-4 only behind 2011 Crosby shortened 41 games season.

When scoring 40 could with that really low for him shooting% be a career low for you, that a bit Ovechkinian.

He is completely alone in that category:

Since 2010:

Matthews: 1.65
Verhaghe: 1.26
Pastrnak: 1.26
Vrana: 1.21
Boldy: 1.18
Ovechkin: 1.17

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
2023-2024 Matthews 35 EVG is a Top 15 seasons in the 2000s in that regard already.

2021-2022-2024 Matthews scoring pace at even strenght have been the best since 2009-2010, #2-3-4 only behind 2011 Crosby shortened 41 games season.

When scoring 40 could be a career low for you, that a bit Ovechkinian.
The question ultimately becomes, will the rest of his career be "Ovechkian" or "Stamkosian"?

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Do you strongly believe that Weiland 43 goals narrow win :
Goals
1.Cooney Weiland* • BOS43
2.Dit Clapper* • BOS41
3.Howie Morenz* • MTL40
4.Nels Stewart* • MTM39

Outscoring the average elite pack by 7.5%

Should Adjust higher than Gretzky getting close to 90 when no one hit 60 like this ?
Goals
1.Wayne Gretzky* • EDM87
2.Michel Goulet* • QUE56
3.Glenn Anderson* • EDM54
Tim Kerr • PHI54

Outscoring the average elite pack by 59%

If so fair enough, but it should be obvious that it does not require one to be in denial to find it a bit funny.
Brett Hull had 86 in 90-91 while second was a three way tie at 51 (Fleury, Neely, Yzerman).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The question ultimately becomes, will the rest of his career be "Ovechkian" or "Stamkosian"?

I often use the expression "falls off a cliff" in play. I like Stamkos a lot as a player - but to me his play completely fell off a cliff post injury vs where it was before, for goals. He's had a great career with great seasons since, but for goal-scoring it's a huge gap before and after injury.

Could this happen to Matthews? Sure - anyone can get career ending/altering injury, causing their play to drop off a cliff. But in my opinion - it's extremely unlikely as that rarely happens.

Will Matthews match Ovechkin's longevity with all the rockets at a late age? again, absolutely not. I'm sure it's "possible", but also super unlikely.

The point is - Matthews doesn't need to match Ovechkin's longevity to outdo him for Raw Goals. And even less so to top 800 career goals. Matthews has a big gap in goals age to age vs Ovechkin that will keep on growing for at least 1 more year, and he's playing in a high scoring era, which helps.

He can age ~25% less good than Ovechkin for goals post age-30 and still manage to top him in career goals I bet. He can age even worst than that, and still surpass 800 career goals.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Next to zero chance. Ovechkin is going to crawl over the line as a 9 time league lead arguably GOAT.

But when you look at the list you see more longevity than sheer skill. There's a luck factor involved and this includes Gretzky who played on some incredibly talented teams himself and in the highest scoring era.

Selanne and Hull given an earlier career could have had theoretical opportunity while Lemieux had cancer.

Recency bias is stupifying misstress. Patrick Maholmes is not yet a Top 10 QB and Matthews is not yet a Top 10 goal scorer. We must continue to wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad