Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Seems like Matthews just can't handle the big moments that well. The 69-to-70 goal pursuit went from a coronation to an insurmountable mountain, and it looks like he's in his playoff form now, getting looks, pressing, but nothing.
He didnt have much chances after 5-6 mins in the 2nd

Was pretty ass in 3rd as well

His inability to find seams, make cross ice passes, have any back hand passing threat makes him a one trick pony come playoffs

His trick also usually ends up flat in the platyoffs

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Seems like Matthews just can't handle the big moments that well. The 69-to-70 goal pursuit went from a coronation to an insurmountable mountain, and it looks like he's in his playoff form now, getting looks, pressing, but nothing.

I just don't understand how this group can't make even ONE run. Even a broken clock...

Reactions: Jojalu

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I just don't understand how this group can't make ONE run. Even a broken clock...

it's game 1 man, they have done this each of the last seven years. Outside of the one game where they killed off a 5 on 3 and beat Tampa, I think they've gotten destroyed every game 1. They will make it a series, it's not over yet.

Reactions: ACC1224

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

His inability to find seams, make cross ice passes, have any back hand passing threat makes him a one trick pony come playoffs

Well that sure explains his 12 game point streak in the playoffs while playing elite defense

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
it's game 1 man, they have done this each of the last seven years. Outside of the one game where they killed off a 5 on 3 and beat Tampa, I think they've gotten destroyed every game 1. They will make it a series, it's not over yet.
I hope you are right.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The 69-to-70 doesn't make sense since he got 2 against Detroit to hit 60 in 2022...

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I just don't understand how this group can't make even ONE run. Even a broken clock...

I think we had a better chance before. Horrible defense and special teams is a recipe for disaster. I said Leafs in 6 before the series but I admit already that was probably wishful thinking.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Matthews has shown up only a handful of times in the playoffs. Ever. And I can pretty much count them all on one hand. That comeback game vs Tampa, and Game 6 vs Tampa last year. That goal to break open Game 6 vs Washington 0-0 (that we later lost). That miracle comeback vs Columbus in Game 5. Think he had 2 goals vs Boston at home one year in either 2018 or 2019. That's all. For an entire 8 year career.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think we had a better chance before. Horrible defense and special teams is a recipe for disaster. I said Leafs in 6 before the series but I admit already that was probably wishful thinking.
I said the Leafs in 7 (IIRC) so I was also thinking wishfully. :(

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The 69-to-70 doesn't make sense since he got 2 against Detroit to hit 60 in 2022...

What are you talking about? I'm referring to last Saturday when he scored 69. It looked like he was going to have a celebration and it turned into a nightmare.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Matthews has shown up only a handful of times in the playoffs. Ever. And I can pretty much count them all on one hand. That comeback game vs Tampa, and Game 6 vs Tampa last year. That goal to break open Game 6 vs Washington 0-0 (that we later lost). That miracle comeback vs Columbus in Game 5. Think he had 2 goals vs Boston at home one year in either 2018 or 2019. That's all. For an entire 8 year career.
You have a good memory. :thumbu:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well that sure explains his 12 game point streak in the playoffs while playing elite defense
Get outta here man with that. He played terrible vs panthers and now G1 vs Boston.

He only produced against Tampa at a high level in his whole leaf careee

His defense is always brought up like hes a shutdown/matchup center. He doesnt impact the game defensivley enough to pretend his offense falling off does not hurt us

He cant play make at a 2C level. His playoff playmaking is horrible.

If his goal scoring isnt going we need him to be able to feed players, and be a play maker. He needs to run the PP, take control of it and start setting up some in tight tap ins.

He has been a non elite player for his career as a leaf in the playoffs.

This needs to change the rest of this series. You dont win 3 rockets in 4 years by mistake. He needs to stop choking and play to his potential

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What are you talking about? I'm referring to last Saturday when he scored 69. It looked like he was going to have a celebration and it turned into a nightmare.

Ya.. you're saying he doesn't show up in big moments and referenced that he couldn't get 70 as an example... I'm saying it is a bad example since he got 2 goals to get 60 2 years ago...

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
But guys let's be real here, Matthews is not the problem. We never looked this bad even last year when we lost 7-2 the first game. This team can't generate anything in the offensive zone even on the powerplay now and our defense and goaltending is brutal.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Get outta here man with that. He played terrible vs panthers and now G1 vs Boston.

He only produced against Tampa at a high level in his whole leaf careee

His defense is always brought up like hes a shutdown/matchup center. He doesnt impact the game defensivley enough to pretend his offense falling off does not hurt us

He cant play make at a 2C level. His playoff playmaking is horrible.

If his goal scoring isnt going we need him to be able to feed players, and be a play maker. He needs to run the PP, take control of it and start setting up some in tight tap ins.

He has been a non elite player for his career as a leaf in the playoffs.

This needs to change the rest of this series. You dont win 3 rockets in 4 years by mistake. He needs to stop choking and play to his potential

He has a great differential at 5v5 though... so even if he isn't producing much, we are winning when he is on the ice

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Very bad penalty by AM34. Resulted in the back breaking 3rd goal.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
But guys let's be real here, Matthews is not the problem. We never looked this bad even last year when we lost 7-2 the first game. This team can't generate anything in the offensive zone even on the powerplay now and our defense and goaltending is brutal.
McDavid and Drai go 2ppg in the playoffs.

Matthews meanwhile gets excuses made while being the highest paid in the league, if he needs so much help why is he taking so much money?

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He has a great differential at 5v5 though... so even if he isn't producing much, we are winning when he is on the ice
We arent winning games with him as a leaf.

He takes up his money usually dominates reg season but falters playoffs. We cant win without him being an actual elite/conn smythe contending type player

His 5v5 matchup this year are going to be mainly 3rd liners besides Pasta who was also medicore to be honest.

His best series were tampa where he played good for sure, but Wash, Bos 1 & 2, CBJ, MTL, & FLR his line has been the best line offensively as he either played a weak offensive team (CBJ, MTL) or didnt matchup the top offensive lines (WSH , BOS 1, BOS 2, FLR)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We arent winning games with him as a leaf.

He takes up his money usually dominates reg season but falters playoffs. We cant win without him being an actual elite/conn smythe contending type player

His 5v5 matchup this year are going to be mainly 3rd liners besides Pasta who was also medicore to be honest.

His best series were tampa where he played good for sure, but Wash, Bos 1 & 2, CBJ, MTL, & FLR his line has been the best line offensively as he either played a weak offensive team (CBJ, MTL) or didnt matchup the top offensive lines (WSH , BOS 1, BOS 2, FLR)

But if we are winning when he is on the ice, then who is to blame? You seem to think him, I don't agree.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
But if we are winning when he is on the ice, then who is to blame? You seem to think him, I don't agree.
We arent winning games if he cant lead to a strong special teams which kills us

PP has been bad/below avg costing us series

PK has been horrific and Matthews shluld be able to lead us to a good PK but he isnt capable there either getting taken off the PK

Tonight he was again a negative player with his dumb penalty costing the third goal

He isnt tbe biggest choker on the team (that is Tavares and Marner) but hes the 3rd biggest reason for us not having succsess since 2017

44 pts in 51 games is Nazem Kadri level playoff production for a guy who gets talked around as the 2nd best player in the league way to often

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad