Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 9.47.52 PM.png

With another embarrassing performance tonight, he has now been held pointless in 9 of 19 games this season. It's hilarious how no one seems to notice that outside of the hat trick performances near the beginning of the year, he is a complete non-factor in every second game he plays on average. Paying $13M+ for this level of play is beyond pathetic. Leafs management (and fans) will be very happy this contract is only 4 years long when it's all said and done.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Not even most overpaid player on his line. Mitch Marner is the fraud on this team. Imagine paying $11M to winger that scores on average 27 goals a season (assumes 82 games played) and is on pace to score 23 goals this season.

That being said, Matthews needs to wake up and take over games the way he is capable of.

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Not even most overpaid player on his line. Mitch Marner is the fraud on this team. Imagine paying $11M to winger that scores on average 27 goals a season (assumes 82 games played) and is on pace to score 23 goals this season.

That being said, Matthews needs to wake up and take over games the way he is capable of.
This thread isn't about Marner. I don't care how bad Marner is - and yes, he is awful. But for a $13+ million centre - the highest paid player in the league, it doesn't matter who his linemates are. He needs to drive the bus. He could be out there playing with Noah Gregor and David Kampf. Crosby made due with Colby Armstrong on his line and was still a dominant player.

Matthews was a 40 goal scorer last year and since his two hat tricks in Game 1 and 2, has 8 goals in his last 17 games. His pace is of that of a 40 goal scorer since Game 3 of the season. Do you know who else had 40 goals last year? Jared f***in' McCann. It's not impressive. Matthews' level of play is that of a 7-8M player on most nights.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This thread isn't about Marner. I don't care how bad Marner is - and yes, he is awful. But for a $13+ million centre - the highest paid player in the league, it doesn't matter who his linemates are. He needs to drive the bus. He could be out there playing with Noah Gregor and David Kampf. Crosby made due with Colby Armstrong on his line and was still a dominant player.

Matthews was a 40 goal scorer last year and since his two hat tricks in Game 1 and 2, has 8 goals in his last 17 games. His pace is of that of a 40 goal scorer since Game 3 of the season. Do you know who else had 40 goals last year? Jared f***in' McCann. It's not impressive. Matthews' level of play is that of a 7-8M player on most nights.
A $7-8M player is being generous most nights lately.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

Matthews was a 40 goal scorer last year and since his two hat tricks in Game 1 and 2, has 8 goals in his last 17 games. His pace is of that of a 40 goal scorer since Game 3 of the season. Do you know who else had 40 goals last year? Jared f***in' McCann. It's not impressive. Matthews' performance plays like a 7-8M player on most nights.
Listen, I get your upset about the loss and overall how the team is playing, so am I and all Leafs fans. Matthews needs to be better on a game by game basis but, he is a center on pace for a 64 goal season and a 96 point season. If the Leafs made Matthews available, every team in the league would be figuring out how to acquire him and fit him in their cap.

The thread was about Matthews being the most "overpaid" player in the league, that's not possible when his linemate is a more obvious choice.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Hopefully, Matthews asks for a trade so he can hide in obscurity in Arizona !!!

Reactions: rumman

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Listen, I get your upset about the loss and overall how the team is playing, so am I and all Leafs fans. Matthews needs to be better on a game by game basis but, he is a center on pace for a 64 goal season and a 96 point season. If the Leafs made Matthews available, every team in the league would be figuring out how to acquire him and fit him in their cap.

The thread was about Matthews being the most "overpaid" player in the league, that's not possible when his linemate is a more obvious choice.
I didn't say he was, btw. I said he was making the case. And I stand by that. Marner will end up with more points than Matthews by seasons end despite him being complete dog shit and being paid $2M+ less. LOL

Also, Matthews isn't going to sniff 60 goals this year. I'd be shocked if he hit 50, frankly.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I didn't say he was, btw. I said he was making the case. And I stand by that. Marner will end up with more points than Matthews by seasons end despite him being complete dog shit and being paid $2M+ less. LOL

Also, Matthews isn't going to sniff 60 goals this year. I'd be shocked if he hit 50, frankly.
He has 14 in 18 games and has been sleepwalking a good amount of this season so far (unfortunately). Assuming he is healthy enough to play 70+ games, I would bet he hits 50 goals.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
All three of Matthews/Marner/Nylander were given the world before proving they deserved it. When everything comes so easy it is hard for them to develop an ability to deal with any kind of adversity or challenge. Matthew$ is set for another few years now and it really shows so far this year. He and Marner need to get it together and Nylander needs to keep doing what he is doing right now in a non-contract year. I think most of us are at the end of supporting this core if they don't sort it out this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Since his Hart season, Matthews looks more and more like a guy who climbed the top of the mountain, looked around and enjoyed the view and been there done that. I don't detect any kind of burning desire to win above all, be better than the next guy, find the next gear, find a reason to be excellent again and again.

The true greats just keep coming at you doing the same thing over and over to the point of monotony. Look at Ovechkin. Same one track mind scoring and stats compiling every year for a decade and a half. You're bored of seeing it but he's not bored of doing it.

Matthews looks like he's settling into a mid career cruise control. You know there's so much more ability but I don't think there's the desire on his part to put in the work, stay focused and repeat and surpass. Very disappointing.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Not going to blame any player when there’s 0 adjustments made by the coach

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I rarely am when it comes to this team. Feel free to prove me wrong, Leafs. :laugh:
You did say that he's playing at a $7M-$8M most nights. Here is a sample of centers who are currently making that this season:

B. Horvat = $8.5M
T. Hertl = $8.137M
R. Thomas = $8.125M
R. Johnansen = $8M
J. Norris = $7.95M
N. Suzuki = $7.875M
K. Hayes = $7.142M
D. Cozens = $7.1M
N. Kadri = $7M

Again I will state that Matthews needs to be better on most nights but even on his games where he isn't playing at his level, he's better than these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad