Post-Game Talk: Auston "Chad" Matthews defeats virgin Winnipeg Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Gifted? Which part of that was gifted? :huh:
The Leafs gave them hope. Gio’s was clearly accidental, but most tripping penalties are, but the too many men put him that situation.
Keefe was befuddled and his expression made me believe they talked about it between periods.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs gave them hope. Gio’s was clearly accidental, but most tripping penalties are, but the too many men put him that situation.
Keefe was befuddled and his expression made me believe they talked about it between periods.
Got it, the Leafs gifted it to them.
I've always taken that term to mean the Refs "gifted" it to the opposition.

Jun 27, 2005
The pre-game media was trying to build this up as some big rivalry game. Does anyone actually consider Winnipeg a rival? I didn't even know we were playing them until today.

Some big time little brother syndrome going on with that team.

I've always seen it that way too and generally just ignored them but based on the first couple of pages of this thread it appears that the little brother has definitely gotten under the skin of some of our fans. It's particularly embarrassing because Winnipeg did outplay us yesterday xGF all 60%, 5v5 54% .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Doesn't anyone here feel sorry for Scheifele?

The guy could only land himself a Hyundai commercial deal...

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The promising thing about Samsonov and Murray is that they look unbeatable when they’re hot. Yes, they had bad streaks where they looked bad but we just need one of them to be hot for 4-7 games at a time.

Also liking McMann’s game, he’s still raw and looks surprised when he finds himself alone in good spots but the important thing is he’s consistently winning battles and getting to those good spots in the first place. You can clearly see he’s going to benefit a lot from getting reps in at this level until he doesn’t have to think about what to do when he gets to those spots anymore.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sammy and Matty decided game but shout out to Bunts best game I have seen from him awhile .. game was very even steven but too much skill from Matty and Sammy stole da show .. 2 points

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Guess we shouldn't have been so upset that they were enjoying the win over us.

Since it seems likely they won't get another one for a while

Reactions: kb

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Didn't get to watch much of this one, but my two takeaways are that Matthews is heating up and that our goalies are both really good. Great to see Samsonov stepping up when Murray has been on a bit of a slide, after Murray stepped up from Samsonov's weak patch. This is tandem goaltending at its best.

The satisfaction of whooping one of the Western Canadian little brothers is always top tier. They want to beat us so badly.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The quote tweets are pretty hilarious to Jesse's tweet. Reccommend to check them out. Here's a couple.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This is a top team in the West lmao what a joke. Scheifele is so f***ing bad, this guy fell off a cliff. This doesn't feel like a rivalry anymore these guys just get embarrassed every time we play them, happy with the win and the performance from everyone. Rielly had a great game as did Samsonov.

Reactions: Zacman

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is a top team in the West lmao what a joke. Scheifele is so f***ing bad, this guy fell off a cliff. This doesn't feel like a rivalry anymore these guys just get embarrassed every time we play them, happy with the win and the performance from everyone. Rielly had a great game as did Samsonov.

I can’t tell if their top 6 is stupid or lazy, I used to think it was Maurice making them look bad on D but they somehow look even worse without him. They’re dangerous offensively but I can’t see them winning 5v5 against anyone good. Would love to see them and Edmonton in a series again, every game would have double digit goals.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Not just the goals, it was nice to see Matthews take over the game. Defensively, blocking shots, impact everywhere. Many times this season when he scores, it’s like “oh ya, there he is”, not last night, he was everywhere. That’s what we need come playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Didn't get to watch much of this one, but my two takeaways are that Matthews is heating up and that our goalies are both really good. Great to see Samsonov stepping up when Murray has been on a bit of a slide, after Murray stepped up from Samsonov's weak patch. This is tandem goaltending at its best.

The satisfaction of whooping one of the Western Canadian little brothers is always top tier. They want to beat us so badly.
I wasn't paying close attention but my impression was that Matthews looks like he can once again shoot the puck like he used to be able to shoot it. Maybe it's just my imagination but the thought crossed my mind that his shot has looked off all season and if all it took to fix it was to rest for a couple of games, why didn't they give him that rest back in November?

Seems so simple and obvious so perhaps I'm missing something.

Reactions: LeafGrief

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wasn't paying close attention but my impression was that Matthews looks like he can once again shoot the puck like he used to be able to shoot it. Maybe it's just my imagination but the thought crossed my mind that his shot has looked off all season and if all it took to fix it was to rest for a couple of games, why didn't they give him that rest back in November?

Seems so simple and obvious so perhaps I'm missing something.

Because his extra rest for a nagging injury probably had nothing to do with his shot. Yet HF boards ran with that narrative. Whatever was nagging him could have been anything. If he had such an injury that would impact his wrists, does anyone really think 6 days would provide such a drastic change. I think it’s two fold. Matthews was labouring something for sure, but it’s also clear that this season Matthews has been trying to change his methods of scoring. He probably didn’t need to, but Sometimes that happens when you’re trying to evolve and grow your game.

I think what’s more likely is he probably had time to just go over what he was doing last season compared to this season and has just decided to go back to what worked. Which was take the puck to the slot instead of one timers and high slot shots.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's always fun putting the Jets and their fans in their place.

Great to see Matthews with his first multi goal game of the season. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The West is a joke. The Jets have the second best record in the West and are 21-7-1 against Western opponents, but have a measly 8-9 record against Eastern teams. Some bullshit that we have to go through Tampa and Boston in the first two rounds.

Even last year where Winnipeg missed the playoffs, they had 28-13-6 record against the West and were 11-19-2 against the East :laugh:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The West is a joke. The Jets have the second best record in the West and are 21-7-1 against Western opponents, but have a measly 8-9 record against Eastern teams. Some bullshit that we have to go through Tampa and Boston in the first two rounds.

Even last year where Winnipeg missed the playoffs, they had 28-13-6 record against the West and were 11-19-2 against the East :laugh:
The West is trash, mainly the Pacific. Even funnier, Edmonton made the WCF last year and got annhiliated.

Their playoff record over the last 5 years vs non Pacific division teams, 1-11. The 1 win was against Chicago in the play in round LOL. It's a free ride to the playoffs over there.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
8EF21212-0760-4014-A9A5-1E109619AEA3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad