Austin Watson has been placed in Stage 2 of the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse/Behavioral Health Program

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The last thing someone with a “substance abuse” thinks about is if he gets paid during his suspension

You obviously don't have a family and obligations.

If you're a 25 year-old single on a multi million dollar contract, it may not register very high.

But if you're a journeyman with a career expectancy of 2-3 NHL years and have a family, you'll do anything you feel you have to, including lie and push back seeking help.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
"I think to this day the hardest thing for me to get over in regards to that incident is the way that Austin and myself were viewed," Guardino said during the podcast. "You know things from that day will follow him forever and kind of, in a sense, haunt him.

"It breaks my heart because he is such a loving man. He's a phenomenal father and works so hard to create safe environment for me and (our) daughter. It's hard for me to say I would take anything back because today him and I are in such a bitchin' place ... and are so strong from what happened.

"I think a lot of people were expecting us to part ways and not know what to do."
Guardino said in October 2018 that Watson did not commit domestic violence against her.

"Austin Watson has never and would never hit or abuse me," Guardino said then. "My behavior and state of intoxication led to the police being involved that day."

Yikes. Once again people freaked out at the thought of a man touching a woman but want to pretend they care about equality. She was drunk, and in her own admission was the cause of the altercation, but because he was the man, like in most of these cases, he was the one arrested and charged.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yikes. Once again people freaked out at the thought of a man touching a woman but want to pretend they care about equality. She was drunk, and in her own admission was the cause of the altercation, but because he was the man, like in most of these cases, he was the one arrested and charged.

I think that's the problem though. There's no retribution in society and variety of perspective.

Voynov did worse to his wife, but no one knows what he or they were going through. An incident doesn't make a person a monster. And I think the whole battered wife trope is valid in some cases. But you know maybe his wife is with him cause he's usually a good person.

Whether I'm right or wrong in Voynovs situation, people deserve second chances. Tar and feather a person from afar without knowing the dynamics is a very risky road to take.

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
Please please please dont let the NHL turn into the NFL with all their women beaters. That league is a shit show, we cant let the NHL go down the same path.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think that's the problem though. There's no retribution in society and variety of perspective.

Voynov did worse to his wife, but no one knows what he or they were going through. An incident doesn't make a person a monster. And I think the whole battered wife trope is valid in some cases. But you know maybe his wife is with him cause he's usually a good person.

Whether I'm right or wrong in Voynovs situation, people deserve second chances. Tar and feather a person from afar without knowing the dynamics is a very risky road to take.

I agree 100% and have been saying it a ton over the past year when he was able to come back. 1 incident does not define a person for life IMO.

However, the current world we live in, unless you scream from the roof tops that you are against something people will try and claim you are for it. I think there is significant grey area.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Even with this interview and her taking responsibility for causing the altercation people are still going to want to believe whatever they want to believe. Personally, im glad theyre getting the help they needed and in a better place. Hopefully they can continue remaining sober.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Very important read and fantastic of her to clear his name and admit her own problems that led to the alterations that happend

Mental health issues are serious problems, shes truly brave for opening up about it

Sometimes we forget there humans too just cause their celebrities doesnt mean them and their wives cant not be perfect too

Hopefully they can continue moving fwd and all the best to both of them

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
who knows the number of stages?...………but apparently there is this other AA 12 steps thing where 8 of the "steps" involve something to do with "god"

:blah:

There are forms of AA (or AA-type programs) that have taken out the references to a higher power. I imagine a lot of people who want to get sober would prefer that alternative.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
There are forms of AA (or AA-type programs) that have taken out the references to a higher power. I imagine a lot of people who want to get sober would prefer that alternative.

good to hear. ….it cant be good "forcing" a belief of sorts if the person in the treatment doesnt care for it……

…not to turn this into a religious thread, but to me it seems like a snake like way to get someone into a faith…..get them while theyre most vulnerable or needy

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
good to hear. ….it cant be good "forcing" a belief of sorts if the person in the treatment doesnt care for it……

…not to turn this into a religious thread, but to me it seems like a snake like way to get someone into a faith…..get them while theyre most vulnerable or needy

AA is nothing like that, and there is no "forcing" of anything. A higher power can be anything you wish it to be, it need not be God, or even religious. It is simply an admission that you no longer can control yourself, so you are going to rely on faith. Who or what that faith is in matters not a whit. What is really boils down to is having faith that the program will work if you work it.

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York

AA's version of a higher power is not "God" or "a god" or any variant thereof. It is putting faith in something larger than yourself as your experience going it alone as shown you cannot control your addiction alone.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

That's pretty much how religion has always worked - very few people have "joined" a religion from a healthy and sincere place, it's usually adopted in childhood by exposure through family, or by missionaries offering food/schooling/medicine in exchange for attendance, or people coming from troubled circumstances looking for help (addicts, prisoners, etc).

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
You didn't read the article at all did you?

"The 31-year-old victim, who is also the mother of Watson's child, told police that "sometimes he gets handsy," although the report did not elaborate on what that entailed."

Cause that sounds normal, right? Not accusing but doesnt sound good. Hope he can get the help needed, of course.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Hopefully he can get the help he needs. Addiction can be absolutely brutal and recovery is seldom a straight line.
Also glad the NHL has these kinds of programs and take it seriously.
I know Brian Mcgrattan has done a bunch of work with the Flames and NHL to help people with his sobriety, so hopefully Watson uses all the help and tools at his disposal.

Reactions: dukeofjive

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I dont really feel bad for a guy blowing an opportunity like the one he has. Also, did we miss stage 1? Went right to stage 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad