Austin Watson has been placed in Stage 2 of the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse/Behavioral Health Program

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I am confused. Did a failed drug test trigger this? I thought alcohol and other recreation drugs didn't fall into this sort of suspendable category...?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I am confused. Did a failed drug test trigger this? I thought alcohol and other recreation drugs didn't fall into this sort of suspendable category...?
Yeah I don't know. My guess is it's something related to last summer's legal issues. My first thought was that if it was just him going to rehab so to speak, fine, but why is it labeled a suspension?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Poor kid.

Even as a million dollar athlete, addiction can be fully destructive. Hope he finds the support needed and works through this.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yeah - I'd like to hear more about the suspension without pay rationale. I wonder if it's because an addiction isn't considered an actual hockey injury.

The suspension itself may stem from his legal troubles and that's where the "Behavioral Health" part of the program comes in.

Last edited:

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
This seems strange to me. Common knowledge that hockey players like to drink a lot. Something else had to trigger this. Was he showing up drunk to practice/games?

Reactions: Moon Man

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I thought he said he and his girlfriend were sober now in a statement like 2 weeks ago?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hopefully he gets his life back in order and can fix whatever demons are affecting him, whether that be alcohol or some other underlying mental issue no one is privy too.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This seems strange to me. Common knowledge that hockey players like to drink a lot. Something else had to trigger this. Was he showing up drunk to practice/games?
Unlike Jordin Tootoo (successful recovery story), I've never heard anything like that. With Tootoo it was kinda common knowledge in some circles here that he was doing things like that. Maybe not drunk at practice but just.....stuff. He was nuts. Watson, I don't recall hearing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad