Value of: Auction: James van Riemsdyk

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
A 1st was never offered.

Save yourself the time and don't quote the Simmons article; it's been debunked countless times, by far more reputable members of the media.

At the very least, we can agree JVR for Hamonic was rejected .

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
At the very least, we can agree JVR for Hamonic was rejected .

We don't know that either. Nothing leaks out of the leafs front office anymore. The only thing that leaks from other F.O's- like Dreger being a Nonis/Murray henchman and trying to up the value of Montour (suggesting he is worth Nylander).

It could just be easily be as simple as JVR refusing to wave his NTC or not willing to workout an extension as the deal-breaker. We really don't know.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Depends what picks you are talking about... JVR isn't returing 5th overall, but he's sure as hell worth more than #31 and #61.

And I'll be shocked if every team you listed finishes ahead of the flames... absolutely shocked. NSH only picked later because they made the finals, WSH just lost half their top 6 D, NYR C depth is trash all of a sudden. Is SJS better than last year? MTL still has an issue with scoring and they gave up as much as they acquired. Unless drouin plays C their depth down the middle is still horrible. I'm not saying Calgary will finish ahead of all these teams, but Calgary is one team that lost nothing to expansion, and has definitively gotten better this off season. A bunch of the teams you listed are definitely worse than they were last year. If you think every one will finish ahead of Calgary I just don't see it happening...

TBL will have a bounce back season
DAL made a killing this off season adressing many of their needs

CGY will not be a top10 team. Lets assume their pick is 20th

JVR isnt worth 20 + 51 + 51 2019

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Could a sign a trade work with JVR heading to Carolina to play with his brother? If so, could we pry a dman from them?

Pesce?
Faulk?
Hanifan?
Slavin?

What would need to be added to acquire one of the above.

Or what could Carolina add if we went in a different direction and tried to acquire youth/picks?

Bean?
McKeown?

If JVR isnt stupid, he'll ask for Thornton/Marleau money (and more) on a LT basis and h'ell get it.

Do you think the Hurricanes will want a Unidimensionnal 60pts Winger (ala Eberle) but paid 8M$ a year? Look what the Oilers got for Eberle, then factor in JVR will likely make 1-2M$ more, and you've got your answer. Oilers got a MAYBE 2nd liner... You ain't getting anything more then that for JVR!

1vs1 for McKeown, or Mckeown + 2nd/3rd if you are lucky

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I like the inclusion of the 1st rd pick though. Buffalo pretty much always picks in the top 10 :laugh:

Well, I mean they're still rebuilding. T.O has pretty much always picked in the top 10 for the last decade plus. This year picking in the top 15 of the league in draft position. Getting to choose first overall in an NHL draft helps. T.O may have the edge at the moment on BUF, but a base with Eichel/ROR/Reinhart is nothing to scoff at, especially if they're in your division.

As for JVR, I don't know what T.O would be looking for in VAN. I think the fanbases have hashed, and rehashed every scenario with no consensus outcome. I'd offer a prospect + + but we already have so few that it just wouldn't make sense.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
We don't know that either. Nothing leaks out of the leafs front office anymore. The only thing that leaks from other F.O's- like Dreger being a Nonis/Murray henchman and trying to up the value of Montour (suggesting he is worth Nylander).

It could just be easily be as simple as JVR refusing to wave his NTC or not willing to workout an extension as the deal-breaker. We really don't know.

It doesn't matter what does and does not get leaked out of the leafs camp. There's two sides to every trade.

It was more than just simmonds reporting JVR + 1st anyway.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

It's hilarious how you guys always get up in arms about "value". No one said Montour was equal value to Nylander. What was said, was that the Ducks have absolutely no desire to move Montour, and that it would take Nylander to get them to listen. There's a big difference.

Thread after thread we have to do this dance. Just because someone has no reason to move a piece for anything short of your big three, doesn't mean they are stating that their piece has equal value. They are saying overpay or take a hike because we don't want to move that player at all.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The same package we can get for Bozak, we can put towards Green.

Futures.

We should be all in the next two years before the kids contracts kick in.

After that re-set. ie. Keep JVR for the rest of the year and have a deep forward group.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
If JVR isnt stupid, he'll ask for Thornton/Marleau money (and more) on a LT basis and h'ell get it.

Do you think the Hurricanes will want a Unidimensionnal 60pts Winger (ala Eberle) but paid 8M$ a year? Look what the Oilers got for Eberle, then factor in JVR will likely make 1-2M$ more, and you've got your answer. Oilers got a MAYBE 2nd liner... You ain't getting anything more then that for JVR!

Realistically, JVR 's camp will probably ask for 7 and settle somewhere around 6. If you can get him locked up long term that wouldn't be too bad for his age and what he brings.

Keep in mind I also mentioned Toronto could add to make a deal more feasible.

Of the Carolina dmen I listed I assume Bean and McKeown would be the most realistic to acquire. There could be the chance of Pesce being available.. There was also talk last year of Faulk possibly being available for the right price as well. What that price is, I don't know.

Carry on. :)

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's hilarious how you guys always get up in arms about "value". No one said Montour was equal value to Nylander. What was said, was that the Ducks have absolutely no desire to move Montour, and that it would take Nylander to get them to listen. There's a big difference.

Thread after thread we have to do this dance. Just because someone has no reason to move a piece for anything short of your big three, doesn't mean they are stating that their piece has equal value. They are saying overpay or take a hike because we don't want to move that player at all.

No one's disagreeing with what your saying. I think the only one getting up in arms is yourself, funny enough. Dreger has very close connections with the Duck's front office. He often speaks favorably about their pieces/team.

Perhaps you should re-read the context of my post which was a reply on baseless speculation before you take offense to nothing.

Fabbro, 2019 2nd and Aberg

JVR and Fehr (if extension is in place for JVR).

I don't know if JVR will extend because there has been some speculation (whether legitimate or not) that a hold-up for any Isles deal was his willingness to waive his NTC + agree to an extension.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No one's disagreeing with what your saying. I think the only getting up in arms is yourself, funny enough. Dreger has very close connections with the Duck's front office. He often speaks favorably about their pieces/team.

Perhaps you should re-read the context of my post which was a reply on baseless speculation before you take offense to nothing.

I don't know if JVR will extend because there has been some speculation (whether legitimate or not) that a hold-up for any Isles deal was his willingness to waive his NTC + agree to an extension.

I read it, and you stated that Dreger claimed that Montour and Nylander were equal value. I was merely pointing out your misunderstanding (that's not what was said) which is a very common one among your fan base in these discussions. You hear someone say it would take X to acquire Y and seem to think that means the same as X and Y having equal value.

So I think your notion of Dreger trying to up Montour's value is ridiculous, he was making a very reasonable statement about the Ducks lack of desire to move Montour at all barring an unrealistic overpayment. It had nothing to do with being a lackey for anyone.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I read it, and you stated that Dreger claimed that Montour and Nylander were equal value. I was merely pointing out your misunderstanding (that's not what was said) which is a very common one among your fan base in these discussions. You hear someone say it would take X to acquire Y and seem to think that means the same as X and Y having equal value.

So I think your notion of Dreger trying to up Montour's value is ridiculous, he was making a very reasonable statement about the Ducks lack of desire to move Montour at all barring an unrealistic overpayment. It had nothing to do with being a lackey for anyone.

At no point did I claim that Dreger said Montour and Nylander had equal value. Stop with the victim complex. Your reading posts with rose colored glasses. Your last point about him suggesting an unrealistic overpayment is true- i.e. Dreger speaking highly of Montour as some untouchable from the ducks perspective. I see this as indirectly trying to up his value, at least in the realm of the media.

So Yes, Dreger is clearly trying to sell the value of Montour, at least from the Ducks perspective as a untouchable. What I am suggesting is that he is a mouthpiece for the Ducks in the media.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
At no point did I claim that Dreger said Montour and Nylander had equal value. Stop with the victim complex. Your reading posts with rose colored glasses. Your last point about him suggesting an unrealistic overpayment is true- i.e. Dreger speaking highly of Montour as some untouchable from the ducks perspective. I see this as indirectly trying to up his value, at least in the realm of the media.

So Yes, Dreger is clearly trying to sell the value of Montour, at least from the Ducks perspective as a untouchable. What I am suggesting is that he is a mouthpiece for the Ducks in the media.

And like I said I don't think that's an example of Dreger being a mouthpiece for anyone, I think that's a very reasonable statement about how little interest the Ducks should and do have in moving that particular young player.

I'm not saying the entire premise is flawed, but your example is a poor one.

Look at your original wording "like Dreger being a Nonis/Murray henchman and trying to up the value of Montour (suggesting he is worth Nylander). "

How is someone not supposed to take that as you claiming that Dreger suggested Montour is worth Nylander?

Last edited:

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
It's pretty funny that when Nonis was in TO it was widely accepted around here that dreger was basically just a mouthpiece for Nonis. Now that Nonis is in Anaheim it's just plain coincidence that dreger is talking up Anaheim players and the fact that they are related is irrelevant... :laugh:

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015

I'd take this too. Aberg isnt necessary though, fabbro is the draw and picks are always good. Aberg is a decent prospect but he likely gets buried in the depth here... Or a roughly equivalent guy loses his spot and get lost to waivers.

I imagine Aberg would have more value to the preds than the leafs.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's pretty funny that when Nonis was in TO it was widely accepted around here that dreger was basically just a mouthpiece for Nonis. Now that Nonis is in Anaheim it's just plain coincidence that dreger is talking up Anaheim players and the fact that they are related is irrelevant... :laugh:

It amazes me that someone could hear "the Ducks have no desire to move Montour, it would take a huge offer the likes of Nylander to get them to listen" and think that's just Nonis getting his buddy to pimp Montour's trade value.

If anything, the purpose of doing so would be to make it clear Montour isn't available, rather than trying to up the trade value of a player the Ducks have no interest in moving.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
It amazes me that someone could hear "the Ducks have no desire to move Montour, it would take a huge offer the likes of Nylander to get them to listen" and think that's just Nonis getting his buddy to pimp Montour's trade value.

If anything, the purpose of doing so would be to make it clear Montour isn't available, rather than trying to up the trade value of a player the Ducks have no interest in moving.

He also talked up vats before the expansion draft. Regardless it's all pretty similar to his comments when Nonis was in TO and it was a given then that he was a Nonis Shill. Like, half the comments in a trade thread that referenced Dreger were just "yeah but he's just upping the value for Nonis" or "just Nonis trying to feel out the market through the media". Now it's ducks players and the over the top trade requirements are just illustrating a totally different and reasonable point outside of trade value. Nonis being in Anaheim is a totally unrelated and completely coincidental fact. Shocking...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He also talked up vats before the expansion draft. Regardless it's all pretty similar to his comments when Nonis was in TO and it was a given then that he was a Nonis Shill. Like, half the comments in a trade thread that referenced Dreger were just "yeah but he's just upping the value for Nonis" or "just Nonis trying to feel out the market through the media". Now it's ducks players and the over the top trade requirements are just illustrating a totally different and reasonable point outside of trade value. Nonis being in Anaheim is a totally unrelated and completely coincidental fact. Shocking...

Again, I'm not denying that teams try to use the media to their advantage at times. But this particular supposed example makes no sense.

At the end of the season Murray spoke at length about Montour being a huge part of team's future, and talked about him taking on a larger role moving forward. Dreger and Lebrun both stated that the Ducks have no desire to move Montour, and wouldn't even listen barring an tremendous offer such as Nylander.

What sounds more reasonable, that the Ducks have no interest in moving this player and that Dreger was merely applying common sense to the situation, or that it's all a big conspiracy theory to raise Montour's trade value around the league?

Keep in mind Nonis is not the GM, Murray is - and much like the new regime in Toronto he has always run a very tight lipped ship.

The notion that the Ducks are using the media to try and pimp Montour's trade value is completely ridiculous. That's reading way too much into a talking head simply making a very reasonable statement about the availability of one of Anaheim's key young players.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo

JVR is better than Eberle. He's also a power-forward, which is highly valued in this league.

He's not bad defensively. Him on a line with Bozak and (rookie) Marner was not good defensively. JVR was on our PK in his first couple of years in Toronto.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

that sounds good to me from the Leafs side. I would think that JVR would prefer an extension in place heading into the season for the sake of security. His comps seem to be getting in the $6Mx7 range

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
that sounds good to me from the Leafs side. I would think that JVR would prefer an extension in place heading into the season for the sake of security. His comps seem to be getting in the $6Mx7 range

Makes me wonder if he'd consider a discount to ride the Leafs youth train....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad