ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Played LW with Keon on the 1964 SC champions Leafs the whole playoffs.

One of his better playoff runs too. Interesting.

Oh well, too late now. I don't think whether I have Walsh or Hadfield on my 4th line is going to make much of a difference.

I just liked the idea because Walsh as a primarily goal scoring center should have good chemistry with a playmaking guy like McKenney, and he also brings oodles of intangibles to a 4th line.

Very short career though.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Brian Campbell, can someone PM next I'm at work and not supposed to be on phone

This pick surprises me for a team that already has Coffey and Housley. Campbell was a solid player, don’t get me wrong. But that’s 3 of your 6 defenseman that can be considered somewhat of defensive liabilities. Especially if you slot Campbell in that spot beside Housley on your 3rd pairing. They’ll get eaten alive, IMO.

Campbell isn’t a MAJOR liability out there, but he shouldn’t be known for solid defensive play at the ATD level. You’d select him for his offense, and it just seems odd for a team that already has Coffey, Housley and Blake.

Anyways, just my opinion of course.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Speaking of VsX, it would be useful to publish the entire ESVsX table for ATD bottom-sixers.Perhaps next year.Hockey Outsider or another Excel ninja might be able to help out in this regard.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If someone has already calculated the benchmarks, I can probably calculate that (standard stuff like best 7/10 years) in under an hour.

Awesome! I don't have the benchmarks, but others here do.So anyone with the complete benchmarks who sees this can send them to you.Thanks a lot

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
This pick surprises me for a team that already has Coffey and Housley. Campbell was a solid player, don’t get me wrong. But that’s 3 of your 6 defenseman that can be considered somewhat of defensive liabilities. Especially if you slot Campbell in that spot beside Housley on your 3rd pairing. They’ll get eaten alive, IMO.

Campbell isn’t a MAJOR liability out there, but he shouldn’t be known for solid defensive play at the ATD level. You’d select him for his offense, and it just seems odd for a team that already has Coffey, Housley and Blake.

Anyways, just my opinion of course.

I think Campbell was pretty steady defensively. Not enough to carry a pairing but not someone that needs to be carried defensively.

Not 100% On my pairings. Housley is likely to slide to my secret weapon #7 position.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I think Campbell was pretty steady defensively. Not enough to carry a pairing but not someone that needs to be carried defensively.

Not 100% On my pairings. Housley is likely to slide to my secret weapon #7 position.
That's a questionable decision based on where you drafted him, and the value of guys you'll be giving regular ice time to in his stead.
However, I'd like to spend a bit more time on spares in my assassinations this year. I'm not sure how much they'll move the needle in the overall vote, but we should try to at least perceive and appreciate what they're bringing to each team - and Housley would be among the most interesting to talk about.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I had Brian Campbell as a spare last year, really like him.Great skater, mobility, even open-ice hits.Good option for a bottom pairing or spare.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I had Brian Campbell as a spare last year, really like him.Great skater, mobility, even open-ice hits.Good option for a bottom pairing or spare.

Aside from that classic RJ Umberger destruction, Campbell wasn't really much of a physical presence was he? I certainly don't ever remember viewing him that way... which was why the above hit was so surprising to me.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Aside from that classic RJ Umberger destruction, Campbell wasn't really much of a physical presence was he? I certainly don't ever remember viewing him that way... which was why the above hit was so surprising to me.

Maybe you're right, I haven't focused on Campbell enough to really remember how much he laid out those.But what a hit!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

You may have a plan, and I’m not trying to come across like a jerk or anything. I just look at your D that includes Paul Coffey, Phil Housley, Brian Campbell and Rob Blake and although that’s some serious offense from the backend, I wonder just how they’ll stop some of these mega ATD scoring lines. Adam Foote and Harry Howell will seriously have their work cut out for them.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

Campbell was not very physical at all during his time in Chicago.

Waiting to hear from papershoes on a couple options for this pick, but I won't wait the entire clock for him

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Campbell was not very physical at all during his time in Chicago.

Waiting to hear from papershoes on a couple options for this pick, but I won't wait the entire clock for him

Would be interesting to hear from a Buffalo and Florida fan too.Those things can be inconsistent from year to year, especially for open ice hits supported mostly by skating mobility.

Subban also laid out some neat open-ice hits, where he would hit with his back.But as far as I recall, those weren't regular (even if as a whole, Subban was more physical than Campbell for sure).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad