ATD2018 - Draft Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Never imagined it possible that Max would have been possible for my next pick but, he just kept dropping and dropping. I don't know if people thought he was picked already or something but 125th is just too low for Max. When it looked real possible that he was gonna be available, I had to move up. I doubt the guys picking right before me would have let him fall any further.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Great pick with Bentley, almost took him at 123th, but changed my mind for strategic purposes.Great value though.

When you traded your pick to IE, I was elated. I knew there was a chance you could pick him but with IE, he already had 2 Cs. I was planning to bump this guy up a bit, but I decided to pick the faller instead. Both guys have approximately the same value, but C is more important than W anyways.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well honestly, it's been awhile since I checked the resumes in-depth, but I'm not sure he's that far ahead of some available centers.

Malkin is certainly better, so that's one inequality I go with.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Believe me, I thought about it haha, but Max is pretty much an offensive only C (nothing wrong with that necessarily) so the fit wasn't there for me personally. I'd say he was the best value on the board followed by Lapierriere IMO. Very good pick indeed Sprague!

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
There's a few other guys available that provide approximately the same offensive value as Max. Max is just easier to build around. This is probably a fairly appropriate spot for him.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Well honestly, it's been awhile since I checked the resumes in-depth, but I'm not sure he's that far ahead of some available centers.

Malkin is certainly better, so that's one inequality I go with.

Sure, I'll agree Malkin is better, but he's not that much better. IMO, they're in the same tier. Bentley was ranked 24th on the HOH list, and compared to other guys who I think are in the same tier as him: Ullman (25th; picked 26 spots ahead), Lach (26th; 31 spots ahead), and Abel (29th; 23 spots). Also, there were a few guys who I think are a full tier below him that were picked before such as Gilmour, Datsyuk, Smith, Delvecchio, Fedorov and Thornton.

There are two other guys that I'd have in the same tier as Bentley but they have a big stigma associated with them.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Sure, I'll agree Malkin is better, but he's not that much better. IMO, they're in the same tier. Bentley was ranked 24th on the HOH list, and compared to other guys who I think are in the same tier as him: Ullman (25th; picked 26 spots ahead), Lach (26th; 31 spots ahead), and Abel (29th; 23 spots). Also, there were a few guys who I think are a full tier below him that were picked before such as Gilmour, Datsyuk, Smith, Delvecchio, Fedorov and Thornton.

There are two other guys that I'd have in the same tier as Bentley but they have a big stigma associated with them.

All 3 guys you're thinking of all have the same problem - they don't backcheck.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Honestly, I don't care where players got ranked in the projects.I respect the projects greatly, but I'm more interested in them because of the discussions than the final lists.It has gotten cliche that if you want steals, aim for a player that got underrated in the projects because he's likely to drop in the ATD too.

I'm not sure I'd take Bentley ahead of Gilmour, for example.But I'd need to dive into their resume to really know.

Malkin has a comparable resume, but when you check his PPG finishes for example, it reveals that Malkin was a more dominant player for a longer time.Also Malkin played in a tougher era in his prime.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
All 3 guys you're thinking of all have the same problem - they don't backcheck.

Sure, but their offensive capabilities are significantly better than the guys in the next tier that it overrides their lack of defense. And one of the two's problem isn't solely that he doesn't backcheck. He suffers from the Esposito syndrome.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Honestly, I don't care where players got ranked in the projects.I respect the projects greatly, but I'm more interested in them because of the discussions than the final lists.It has gotten cliche that if you want steals, aim for a player that got underrated in the projects because he's likely to drop in the ATD too.

I'm not sure I'd take Bentley ahead of Gilmour, for example.But I'd need to dive into their resume to really know.

Malkin has a comparable resume, but when you check his PPG finishes for example, it reveals that Malkin was a more dominant player for a longer time.Also Malkin played in a tougher era in his prime.

I don't agree with all the individual placements of the projects, but they're great to determine which tier a player belongs in. I'll be honest and say that I don't think Bentley is better than Ullman, whom he was ranked ahead of, and Lach is iffy too, but the difference between them is small enough that I'd say they belong in the same tier.

All I'm trying to say is that some guys in the same tier as Bentley were picked 25-30 spots ahead of him, which makes his fall to 125 outstanding value. He isn't exactly hard to build around like Esposito Jr. here, he just lack defense. But this doesn't prevent guys like Lalonde, Malone, Apps, Dionne and Taylor to fall 20-30 spots.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't agree with all the individual placements of the projects, but they're great to determine which tier a player belongs in. I'll be honest and say that I don't think Bentley is better than Ullman, whom he was ranked ahead of, and Lach is iffy too, but the difference between them is small enough that I'd say they belong in the same tier.

All I'm trying to say is that some guys in the same tier as Bentley were picked 25-30 spots ahead of him, which makes his fall to 125 outstanding value. He isn't exactly hard to build around like Esposito Jr. here, he just lack defense. But this doesn't prevent guys like Lalonde, Malone, Apps, Dionne and Taylor to fall 20-30 spots.

Bentley was strong value that I agree with.Like I said, I considered him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hmm, I had him as my current top candidate to post as "guy who was always drafted too early, and finally went where he should" at the end of the draft.

I based my opinion on the high opinion of him from older posters.Feel like he could be underrated like Henri Richard was for a time.

(I know they likely didn't see him play in his best years, but they were there when his reputation was fresher than it is today).

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Ted Kenneny's Hart trophy felt a lot like a "career award", is how a lot of people think of him. He didn't seem to have an especially great season that year. It was obviously good but he was well behind the leader in points. If you consider the idea that maybe that Hart should be bumped down a little bit, suddenly he doesn't look as good.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ted Kenneny's Hart trophy felt a lot like a "career award", is how a lot of people think of him. He didn't seem to have an especially great season that year. It was obviously good but he was well behind the leader in points. If you consider the idea that maybe that Hart should be bumped down a little bit, suddenly he doesn't look as good.

I'm pretty sure that's what his Hart was, a career achievement award rather than the MVP that is was designed as.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad