ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The rest of the NHL can thank the Florida Panthers for what VGK has done this year:

The Vegas Golden Knights acquired forward Reilly Smith from the Florida Panthers in exchange for a 2018 fourth-round pick.

Then not protecting Marchessault, which was one of the most bizarre moves in recent history.

Two of their top-4 scorers for a 4th round pick. Nice.

Reactions: Voight

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So off the top my head (which means since WWII, don't kill me), the players won a bunch of cups in short succession as captain are as follows:

2 elite centres (Gretzky, Lemieux)
8 franchise forwards (Beliveau, both Richards, Clarke, Sakic, Stevie Y, Lindsay, Apps)
2 franchise defensemen (Potvin, Stevens)

That leaves Toews, along with Abel, Bouchard, Cournoyer and Armstrong (and one guy who's nowhere close to getting picked at the moment) as guys who should be pretty important to an ATD team, but don't necessarily slide into a natural on-ice-leadership role. That's of course, leaving out renowned leaders like Messier and Lidstrom, anyone from before the war, and the great leaders from iron-curtain-era Europe.

I think if one were to somehow quantify "leadership" in NHL terms and assign ATD captains that way, Toews might find himself in the top-24. But he stands apart as a (relatively) mediocre player compared to the guys who have records like he does, and that matters. You don't see guys who have reputations as great leaders at lower levels get letters in the NHL, unless they're a player good enough to build around. I'm thinking Jason Strudwick, maybe Curtis Lazar if he doesn't get any better, but I'm sure there are better examples of 3rd-line-type players.

I'm amazed you forgot Crosby :naughty:

Throw in Eddie Gerard for the 1920s.Most likely the best pre-WWII captain.I have Cournoyer on my team, hes getting an A, as is Georges Boucher, Charlie Gardiner (goalie assistant!), Bryan Trottier and Lionel Hitchman, in rotation.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm amazed you forgot Crosby :naughty:

Throw in Eddie Gerard for the 1920s.Most likely the best pre-WWII captain.I have Cournoyer on my team, hes getting an A, as is Georges Boucher, Charlie Gardiner (goalie assistant!), Bryan Trottier and Lionel Hitchman, in rotation.
Oh wow, Crosby. The guy who's my first line centre.
I had a set downtown at 10:30, and I was rushing out to my drummer's house for some last minute tuneups, and pretty much wrote that running out the door.
Those are a pretty good set of leaders, they work well as a tandem/core.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Congrats Sid on number 400. TSN is pimpin' it.
(Gaborik did it earlier this year to little fanfare.)
(Nash did it last year.)

Thornton amazingly is just 3 away from 400 (never thought he'd hit it, since he passes so much more than shoots).

Hossa hit 500 at the beginning of the season. My boy Patty Marleau hit 500 last year.

Will Ovechkin hit 600 this season? He's just ten away with 28 games remaining.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
(Nash did it last year.)

Thornton amazingly is just 3 away from 400 (never thought he'd hit it, since he passes so much more than shoots).

Hossa hit 500 at the beginning of the season. My boy Patty Marleau hit 500 last year.

Let's not forget that Jason Pominville have 18 points to 700. 27 games to go, and if he can just get one of his trademark stretches going then it is within the realm of possibility this season, even counting that he seem to be slipping. He used to be ppg down the stretch.
That SOB Scott Hartnell who was also born in 1982 will get there first, but he was a rookie five years earlier and through that has 267 more games played. The accolade at stake when all is said and done is the silver medal in our class after Gaborik.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
My god are the Sens a dumpster fire. What a shame given the run they went on last year. Karlsson needs to get the hell out of there ASAP. Dude is way to amazing to be dragged down by incompetence and a cheap owner.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
My god are the Sens a dumpster fire. What a shame given the run they went on last year. Karlsson needs to get the hell out of there ASAP. Dude is way to amazing to be dragged down by incompetence and a cheap owner.

Sens have the best or second best defenseman in the league and are royally screwing this up + wasting his prime. Gonna suck when they trade him at next years deadline and get 1/3 of what they could get today.

(Nash did it last year.)

Hossa didn't hit 500 at the beginning of the season considering he has not played a game since April.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I love this thread. Some of my fellow Blackhawks fans are such an embarrassment. Like or not, Seabrook earned his contract being a key cog in 3 titles - and as much as it sucks that the team is faltering there are only 3 other fanbases in the NHL who have seen three Stanley Cups in the last 28 years. Players get paid based on how they play as well as the team, the high cap hits come with the winning. Its an easy choice for which one you'd take.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm hanging out with Bacardi tonight (Thursday night, holiday Lunar New Year's Eve here in East Asia - THE biggest holiday for nearly half the world's population) and while I'm eyeing that absynthe I picked up a week ago (never had the stuff before, dropped $80 on a French import, which is crazy much given booze prices in Korea have such low taxes), I have a 3+ hour road trip in my jeep to the Olympics in under 36 hours from now, so bedtime soon is in order instead of more label cracking.

I'll probably shake my head at myself next week, but for now, nah. When I wake up tomorrow I need to send someone a list for the coming few rounds.

(remember the ol' saying: All judges go to hell.)

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Main board history threads are mostly just terrible. I don't expect most people or really anyone to be as well-read or nerdy as the average person here, but it kills me to see so many people just aggressively, confidently wrong about stuff. Like, if you're not that big on the subject, why stick to your guns like that?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Anyone else here think that Soshnikov was worth more than a 4th round pick?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Main board history threads are mostly just terrible. I don't expect most people or really anyone to be as well-read or nerdy as the average person here, but it kills me to see so many people just aggressively, confidently wrong about stuff. Like, if you're not that big on the subject, why stick to your guns like that?

Everytime I read a thread like that I ask myself why I subject myself to the torture but everytime I go back, try and talk some reason only to hear "YA LEMIEUX WOULD NEVER LOSE AN ART ROSS TO DUSTERS LIKE MOORE AND GEOFFRION, IF HOWE IS SO GREAT WHY IS HE EQUAL IN SCORING TITLES TO CANCER LEMIEUX, LEMIEUX WON THE ART ROSS AFTER BEATING CACNER, LEMIEUX WOULD HAVE SMASHED GRETZKYS 215 POINTS IF HE WAS HEALTHY, LEMIEUX SHREDDED PRIME GRETZKY BY 31 POINTS"

Anyone else here think that Soshnikov was worth more than a 4th round pick?

They were at 50 contracts so they had to get what they could in order to have room at the deadline. Its still not bad, Soshnikov was a KHL free agent signing so they turned nothing into something. You aren't going to get much for a guy who has 14 points in 70 career games, including only 3 this year.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
They were at 50 contracts so they had to get what they could in order to have room at the deadline. Its still not bad, Soshnikov was a KHL free agent signing so they turned nothing into something. You aren't going to get much for a guy who has 14 points in 70 career games, including only 3 this year.

I suppose that's fair. Makes me wonder what's going to happen to Leivo. He clearly has no future on this team so I imagine he's going to get traded. We'll see.

I think this is very much a Frank Corrado 2.0 situation though. He'll get traded and do not much of consequence on another team.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's really pretty unique to hockey, at least among North American sports. I don't think you see fans of the NFL, MLB, or NBA go on about how anything that happened before the fan was born is illegitimate

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's really pretty unique to hockey, at least among North American sports. I don't think you see fans of the NFL, MLB, or NBA go on about how anything that happened before the fan was born is illegitimate

It depends, I have some family members who are massive NFL fans and can gladly have a long conversation about the history of its league, former players, teams etc.

But you wont find that online.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Really? I am under the impression that this phenomenon is widespread even beyond sports (see the expression ''we're in 2018, we should be past this or that way of thinking...'' as if being in 2018 made us inherently superior).Either that, or the opposite: the glorification of the past at the expense of the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad