ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't care how their defense looked like when they won the last cup, they need help there. A #2-3 dman perhaps.

Any trade is worth it.They need to keep the dynasty going, the future is superfluous.In 4 years they will need to start the post-Crosby and post-Malkin era, at least the transition.Even Kessel and Letang are not getting any younger.The future is now for Pittsburgh, and honestly, same for Tampa Bay.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Any trade is worth it.They need to keep the dynasty going, the future is superfluous.In 4 years they will need to start the post-Crosby and post-Malkin era, at least the transition.Even Kessel and Letang are not getting any younger.The future is now for Pittsburgh, and honestly, same for Tampa Bay.

The clock is ticking really slowly until Monday, I can tell you that much.

Just need to stay calm, lol.

928.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Brassard is a massive add. Take it from a diehard Pens fan who's seen all the games for years now. This is the best C depth in the league by a country mile. Brassard is a great 2C on just about any team. As a 3C he'll create a ton of mismatches. He's better than Bonino by a decent margin. Plus it pushes Sheahan down to the 4C role which again enhances the skill set against weaker forwards/defensive pairings.

I'm betting you'll see the Pens deploy Kessel with him, and then Hornqvist and Rust will be in the top 6 at RW. It's incredibly difficult to defend against that much depth and depth is a major reason why Pittsburgh has won the past 2 Cups. Rutherford really turned around his career in Pittsburgh. It's one of the few things I have to eat crow on. Never thought he'd work out here.

Reactions: tinyzombies

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Wow the Pens paid a big price to get Brassard. This team is going to become a trash heap once Malkin and Crosby are done. I'm not sure there's much futures left in their system.

Reactions: Voight

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wow the Pens paid a big price to get Brassard. This team is going to become a trash heap once Malkin and Crosby are done. I'm not sure there's much futures left in their system.

LOL. Pittsburgh gave an unproven goalie prosect, a late 1st and Ian Cole for a 40% retained Derick Brassard who's not a pure rental.

You have it the wrong way around.

I don't know why you keep pushing this the Pens are going to be in so much trouble narrative. They have a 24 year old 2 time Cup winner in net, who's signed cheap. Tristan Jarry, who was actually better prospect, has looked tremendous as the backup. They continue to produce productive in house talent and depth players. They aren't anchored down by any 40+ contracts.

Reactions: tinyzombies

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
LOL. Pittsburgh gave an unproven goalie prosect, a late 1st and Ian Cole for a 40% retained Derick Brassard who's not a pure rental.

You have it the wrong way around.

I don't know why you keep pushing this the Pens are going to be in so much trouble narrative. They have a 24 year old 2 time Cup winner in net, who's signed cheap. Tristan Jarry, who was actually better prospect, has looked tremendous as the backup. They continue to produce productive in house talent and depth players. They aren't anchored down by any 40+ contracts.

How do you replace Crosby and Malkin? Are those replacements coming up in the system? You need to replace these guys once they are done.

Pittsburgh obviously sees that writing on the wall.. that once Crosby and Malkin are done, so are they. They are mortgaging the future to win as many cups as they can in the next 3-4 years. There really isn't a better time to do it as the NHL is generally viewed as kind of weak right now. The only teams who seem to be an immediate threat to them are Tampa and maybe Nashville.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nobody is going to replace that kind of generational talent overnight...maybe ever. But you said they'd be a trash heap and I don't see that as of now. They continue to produce great young players. A huge position is already locked down for 10+ years with Murray as of now. When guys like Letang, Sid, and Geno leave it will open massive amounts of cap space which can go to improving your roster.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Nobody is going to replace that kind of generational talent overnight...maybe ever. But you said they'd be a trash heap and I don't see that as of now. They continue to produce great young players. A huge position is already locked down for 10+ years with Murray as of now. When guys like Letang, Sid, and Geno leave it will open massive amounts of cap space which can go to improving your roster.

How is that cap space going to help? Unless you think some high profile players will be looking to take those spots in free agency.

It's a big problem, IE. Maybe Murray will keep them from being truly a lottery team, but they're going to struggle once their big guns are done.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
OK but who cares about replacing Crosby and Malkin.Really? They can tank and do the same thing they did last time, with threats of relocation thrown in-between for good measure.

But good luck getting even one player of Crosby's and Malkin's caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: overpass

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Are the 1942-1979 Habs the only franchise who has successfully transitioned past having a top-30-all-time talent, and kept winning?
Maybe Detroit with Yzerman if you want to call him that, but they had Lidstrom the entire time they were good, and weren't overly good before or after Lidstrom.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
OK but who cares about replacing Crosby and Malkin.Really? They can tank and do the same thing they did last time, with threats of relocation thrown in-between for good measure.

But good luck getting even one player of Crosby's and Malkin's caliber.

Well Pitts fans can't complain. 3 cups during Crosby's time, with probably at least 1-2 more on the horizon. Everything that goes up must come down however.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Are the 1942-1979 Habs the only franchise who has successfully transitioned past having a top-30-all-time talent, and kept winning?
Maybe Detroit with Yzerman if you want to call him that, but they had Lidstrom the entire time they were good, and weren't overly good before or after Lidstrom.

Possibly the 20s Senators when they lost Cleghorn.OK, probably not a Top 30 talent, but not so far.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
To be honest I picked top-30 as a number that would easily include of all of Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur, before thinking about what other borderline examples might have to be taken into account.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
To be honest I picked top-30 as a number that would easily include of all of Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur, before thinking about what other borderline examples might have to be taken into account.

Well there's also the obvious one...Edmonton won after trading Gretzky.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Well there's also the obvious one...Edmonton won after trading Gretzky.
True, but they very much didn't "transition" past the core that also included Messier, who fits the bill here. It's actually kind of analogous to the Detroit situation, where they had more than one super-elite player for their dynasty, and won one more with one of those guys gone.

I don't think it'd be completely bonkers for say, Crosby to win one last cup in the future without Malkin, for example.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
True, but they very much didn't "transition" past the core that also included Messier, who fits the bill here. It's actually kind of analogous to the Detroit situation, where they had more than one super-elite player for their dynasty, and won one more with one of those guys gone.

I don't think it'd be completely bonkers for say, Crosby to win one last cup in the future without Malkin, for example.

It would be very hard though. Malkin has been very important for the Pens in the playoffs.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Fair enough.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Wow the Leafs are suddenly within striking distance of 1st in their division. When did that happen?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am ssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
piiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssed

i just lost a two hour researched argument post here (i wuz gonna submit it for publication) about how laughable the hfboards article is questioning whether the nhl outdoor game in south bend indiana will be successful or a dud.

i cite lots of stuff: about captain anders lee the two-time 30 goal scorer this year and last for the nyi, top-10 nhl goals last year, top-5 so far this year, bryan rust the alternate captain and hero of the game that clinched notre dame's number one ranking in the ncaa (both lee and rust are notre dame fightin' irish illumni, i citing their fanatical fan base, and how the notre dame went to the final four of the ncaa last year, three times in the ncaa tourney the last decade, of course notre dame being the major university in south bend indiana where the blackhawks will play their o-6 rival boston bruins, chicago a mere 89 miles away, fans to pay $10 gas to attend, the nhl outdoor game already being held successfully at wrigley's and soldier's field in chicago, blackhawk fans last year making a road trip to minnesota to see th eoutdoor game against the wild, ahhhhhhhhhhhh............ it was awesome and all gone because muy computer (or hfboards:conspiracy!) suddenly lost it (korean gibberish on the screen - i teach english here, i dont speak the local language)

anyways............

edit:

my post had this pic of one of the top-5 NHL goal scorers the last two years: Anders Lee:

and the Notre Dame alternate captain who was a hero in the NCAA top seed clinching game (and three-time key goal scorer for the last two stanley cup champions), Bryan Rust: (that is Joe Louis arena in Detroit in the background - the home team did not win).

Here is what a Notre Dame home game looks like:
ndm.jpg

in short: the NHL outdoor game next seaosn in South Bend, Indiana will be a success, as should be expected! (I also mentioned how St. Louis and Columbus are under 250 miles away, though I ain't familiar enough with the are to know whether Blues or Bluejackets fans would attend.)

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
omg, omg, omg... i immediately spent the last 15 minutes editing my ;ast post on this thread and it was allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lost because i was informed by automated message that the "5-minute limit" on editing posts has been passed??????????????????????????????

:pullhair:

seriously?

i'm done for now **** it all.... c'ya 'nother day....

OUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad