ATD Chat Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Next was ATD #7 (spring 2007). I don't remember too much about this draft. The team was focused too heavily on defense, but still managed to make it to the ATD semi-finals. @pitseleh (one of my all-time favourite HOH posters - who I don't think has been active for many years) beat me in a seven game series - his team had a bit more firepower and was the rightful winner. (Note - ATD #7 features my all-time favourite team. @Nalyd Psycho had the 3rd pick, and selected Howe, then traded up to get the 4th pick as well, to get Lemieux. I can't tell from the draft thread what it cost him - it certainly was a lot - but it was an incredibly ambitious strategy. He was eliminated early in the playoffs, but I have a ton of respect for someone who used such a bold, unconventional approach).

I won ATD #8 (fall 2007), after another seven-game finals series against pitseleh. It was redemption for the previous draft. He made a bold move, trading picks 4 and 165 for 1 and 225 - giving up 60(!) spots to get Orr instead of Lemieux - and it very nearly paid off. My team was pretty similar to the one from the previous year - great goaltending and defense, but not a ton of offensive depth. I really enjoyed building around Potvin. Note that pitseleh's team had Frank Nighbor on the second line. Back then, far less was known about Nighbor's greatness. If the ATD community voted on the matchup today, based on what we've learned over the past 13 years about Nighbor (and everyone else), I think his team would (rightfully) win.

I am still around, albeit much less often than before. You have a much better memory of these things than I do. My trading up for Orr was only partially driven by really wanting to have him on my team, rather than crafty strategy.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I know I've mentioned this a few times, but once he retires, I want to do a deep dive on Crosby vs Beliveau. I've ranked Beliveau 5th all-time for at least a decade now but there's very little separating them at this point. (Of course, McDavid could end up passing them both - but that discussion is premature by at least five years, and perhaps a full decade).

Crosby has a lot of similarities to Beliveau. Not necessarily in their play style but in the shape of their career.

Both came into the NHL with a ton of hype, and both started living up to that hype immediately.

Crosby is getting to the point that Beliveau reached, with an incredibly accomplished and well rounded career. Very few careers in hockey history can compare. And yet, at the same time, Crosby never quite reached the level that he seemed to promise early in his career. Beliveau was the same, his career was flawless, accomplished, and yet also disappointing in a way for those who remembered the young Beliveau.

Kind of the opposite of Orr and Lemieux, who lived up to all their early potential and more as players, but injuries kept them from achieving the careers they should have had.

Chet Donnelly

Mar 31, 2023
Speaking of Crosby, I will be seeing him play tonight against Vancouver on my birthday. This will be my second time seeing him live, the first being on December 8, 2007. Three players from that game will be playing tonight for Pittsburgh, over 16 years later. Pretty wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot