ATD Chat Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
What animals are you afraid of?

(I say this as a seasoned camper who has had to consider it.)

I hope we all are terrified of facing a lion, hippo and gorilla. Two of them are vegans but they will easily, aggressively take your limbs off if provoked.

I would go head to head with one cheetah but not one mountain lion/puma/cougar. The size of head and shoulders and reputation decide the matter.

There is no bear I'd tackle, though the black bear I'd try and chill with, after all, they want fruit not meat.

I am not afraid of sharks because i have watched enough documentaries to know what to do to get them to f off,... as long as blood ain't in the water.

I am afraid of orca. Love whales, grew up on northern Vancouver Island where i personally saw two orca, "killer whales", beach a dolphin and eat it. In Port Hardy, my elementary school just across the beach about 500 m from the action.

I would avoid a male sheep (ram) but take on a wolf (not a pack though).

Eagles scare me. No other birds do, except their cousins, hawks, make me pause.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Cue Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" (1993).

This is one of my all-time favourite movies. It feels even more relevant now than it did in 1993.

What was so impressive is it was a nuanced and balanced look at Douglas's character. It would have been easy to make a movie that condemned him as a nut and/or bad guy. It also would have been (somewhat) easy to make him an anti-hero you're supposed to cheer for. The movie made you feel sympathy for his situation, and you understood what made him snap. But, in the end, it was clear that what he did was wrong (the final dialogue between Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall - the only time the two stars interacted with each other - makes that clear). The actor, writer (Ebbe Roe Smith) and director (Joel Schmacher) all handled the profile of "D-FENS" well.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Echoes is my favorite pink floyd song. Not radio material, just long-form genius...a bit like 1983 (a merman I should come to be) by Hendrix, which I consider Jimi's greatest song.

You have great taste Sturm.

I consider Echoes to be the greatest (prog)rock song of all time, especially the Pompeii version which is just otherworldly.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Speaking of their Pompeii set, Careful With That Axe Eugene, is one of the earliest metal songs I've heard recorded, the original actually predates Sabbath. In this version, you can hear Gilmour (my personal favorite and biggest influence as a musician) let loose and shred a bit, and Waters has one of the greatest, primal screams in history.

This is why I consider Floyd the greatest rock band ever. The ability to stretch their legs through numerous genres, is rarely duplicated with such sonic genius and innovation.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
My father was a large animal veterinarian and has often said that the only animal that ever scared him was an ostrich.
We've had polar bears on the island from time to time, though they aren't native here, though black bears are common. We frequently have orcas in our waters, but they aren't something to be overly concerned about for people in boats.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Their very early era stuff I enjoy very much. Once you get beyond the album I listed, they go downhill.
I mean - matter of taste, like what you like, etc.

But for me, RHCP is a band that was like "we found a good bass player and have literally nothing else of value but f*** it if we only wear socks maybe no one will notice that our music is terrible."

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I mean - matter of taste, like what you like, etc.

But for me, RHCP is a band that was like "we found a good bass player and have literally nothing else of value but f*** it if we only wear socks maybe no one will notice that our music is terrible."

Hey, I get it lol. I really don't listen to anything beyond 1991 from them. They got waaaay too commercialized. I do like Frusciante as a muscian/guitarist. There are some who have the innate ability to play the guitar like it's connected to their soul, rather than someone who plays it based on musical theory and technical ability (think Joe Satriani).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hey, I get it lol. I really don't listen to anything beyond 1991 from them. They got waaaay too commercialized. I do like Frusciante as a muscian/guitarist. There are some who have the innate ability to play the guitar like it's connected to their soul, rather than someone who plays it based on musical theory and technical ability (think Joe Satriani).

I just like what I like. Can’t explain it. Sometimes I really enjoy some cookie-cutter pop song for whatever reason. The songs on rotation are so different, it’s ridiculous lol.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I just like what I like. Can’t explain it. Sometimes I really enjoy some cookie-cutter pop song for whatever reason. The songs on rotation are so different, it’s ridiculous lol.
My playlist will go from Death - Scavenger of Human Sorrow to Taylor Swift - Blank Space on shuffle.

Variety is the spice of life.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, I'm not going to apologize for sticking up for myself today, but I feel like I got too snippy. I want to apologize for that. I'm sorry if I dragged down the tone of the discussion. I'm not going to discuss it anymore, but I wanted to get that out.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

We all do. There was a time in my teenage years I was rolling down the road to Nickelback/Creed. Yeah, I hate myself for that now haha. Even today, there are tunes (not so much current) that I enjoy which got greatly overplayed in the past.

My playlist will go from Death - Scavenger of Human Sorrow to Taylor Swift - Blank Space on shuffle.

Variety is the spice of life.

You bet RHCP, I raise you Taylor Swift. :laugh:

Eclectic taste in music is one of the greatest traits a person can have IMO. I know people personally who will listen to only country music (or hair metal). Not that there's anything wrong with that - Jerry.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I went to Warped Tour in like... 02? 03?

I got into metal after that and that was that.

I like a good bit of metal as well. One of the pinnacles was getting to see Sabbath on their End tour in NJ a few years back. Obviously a different era/style than a lot of the modern works, but I do have periods when I get into the heavier genres. Killswitch Engage is one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad