ATD Chat Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Want to pitch this early, and am obviously fine with tweaking timelines. But we're all here for the draft, that's the fun part. I propose ~72 hours after the draft for Division Voting to be in, and then a week for Round 1 voting. This may be tighter than in the past, especially the former, but I striking while the iron is hot is critical in my view, especially after last year when we just waited and waited until someone suggested a timeline. People will be most engaged once the draft ends and we should take advantage of that.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Want to pitch this early, and am obviously fine with tweaking timelines. But we're all here for the draft, that's the fun part. I propose ~72 hours after the draft for Division Voting to be in, and then a week for Round 1 voting. This may be tighter than in the past, especially the former, but I striking while the iron is hot is critical in my view, especially after last year when we just waited and waited until someone suggested a timeline. People will be most engaged once the draft ends and we should take advantage of that.

Put this in the draft thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The fact that Chicago hot dogs have RAW tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!@@!!°°° is overlooked by their rejection of ketchup (gtfoh if you sub raw tom) and every one looks at deep dish.

But fresh sliced tomatoes as a staple in Chicago hot dogs? GTFOOH. It's the greatest abomination in America. I dare you to not throw up a hit dig with fresh tomato.

People in Chicago are ****** up!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Wade Belak was an AHL-level stay at home defenseman who was frequently given other, higher paid jobs because he could punch people well. One guy named McCabe was an offensive defenseman who played on the top pair most of the time, whose playstyle either made him look much better than he actually was, or much, much worse, depending on the day of the week or what he had for breakfast. The other guy named McCabe is currently a perfectly average NHL defenseman. Seems like a weird grab bag of players to either be defending or slandering on a day like today.

Reactions: seventieslord

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
McCabe & Belak played together in T.O. and I had to hear Leaf fans defend them as "good" players, as valuable role players. They sucked. And they thought Kaberle should be an all star.

• Haha
Reactions: seventieslord

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
McCabe was a weaker version of Ed Jovanoski. He was a big hitter and had good slapshot. But he was unfocused, inconsistent, and consistently took himself out of position to throw checks. There's no way he should have been playing 24+ minutes minutes per game on a (supposed) Stanley Cup contender.

Kaberle was solid. I just looked up his size and I never would have guessed he was 6'1" and 210. I would have estimated something like 5'10" and 180. But he was better defensively than he got credit for. He wasn't great, but he was solid. My biggest frustration is he seemed positively allergic to shooting the puck.

Yushkevich was the Leafs' best defenseman during the Sundin/Joseph era. Was there really that much that separated him (aside from team success) from Adam Foote and Derian Hatcher? Not that he used it much, but he had a powerful slapshot. Plus, given his role on the team and his physicality, he was remarkably good at not taking penalties. Yushkevich was the type of player you went to war with.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yushkevich, Sundin, Belfour... the three greats i last saw in T.O.

Heck, living in Asia, I haven't been to a game since. :(

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
14 years later and I still miss Alex Kovalev in Montreal.

Made the games worth watching.

Understood the soul of the Montreal crowd better than any player since Flower.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, out of curiosity, how did you guys get into the ATD?

I had a member of the board that I don't think is around anymore recommend that I try it, and so I decided to give it a shot. I found it a little stressful, but highly enjoyable, so I'm still at it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

I had a member of the board that I don't think is around anymore recommend that I try it, and so I decided to give it a shot. I found it a little stressful, but highly enjoyable, so I'm still at it.

Randomly saw the sign-up thread and signed up.

I made a big splash with an insane trade before the draft begun, trying to get both Gretzky & Lemieux. It was eventually rejected but it caused a real stir.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Randomly saw the sub-board when I was bored during a lecture in 2012 was enthralled by the concept.

Forgot about it and missed signups in 2013. Then came back in 2014

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I can't remember if someone PMd me or I just went looking and decided to try it. I was pretty active on the HoH board so I think that's where it came from.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Seventieslord reached out to me back in, oh I want to say 2010? And invited me to participate. I turned it down at the time and was an occasional “silent onlooker” for a number of years before finally taking the plunge when my researching, collecting and reading kicked into overdrive.

I’ve had a blast team building and have learned a lot.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was doing research back in '04 on the HfBoards main page, which had indepth prospect pieces with journalism closer to the magazine journalism of The Athletic and i clicked on the boards, hit the History Board, and got hooked. (Sadly Hockey's Future became just HfBoards eventually.) I'd read a few history books the previous year and here was a bunch of guys doing a history draft. I signed up to the site and wanted to join ATD2, backed out beforehand and joined ATD3 (if memory serves me right). Leaf Lander was among the OG. Been about ever since.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
1707917683858.png

Kucherov in the scoring race seeing McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad