Atd#7 Minor League Draft

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Scott "I can't clear the puck out of my zone" Hannan

and

Jyrki Lumme (until I saw the initials I was actually going to guess a different longtime Canuck defenseman)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Vees select two guess who defensemen...

(1) He has had a 7-year career as a solid, shutdown defenseman, not much of a hitter but tough, in fact, Ovechkin said he's the toughest defenseman he's played against. This blueliner has represented his country in world championships and World Cup 2004. He has seen time on the second powerplay unit and scores double digit in assists each season. He is known as able to contain Forsberg and did so very well in the 2004 playoffs. He also was part of a remarkable two-man disadvantage penalty kill against the Oilers in 2006. Who is he? His initials are S.H.

I thought they were A.M. ... Nevermind.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I thought they were A.M. ... Nevermind.
Andrej Meszaros?

No way. Too young.

And Markov is no shutdown defenseman, has only 6 seasons of work and has a couple of minus seasons whereas Hannan is always + in +/- despite logging more minutes than anyone else on the team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Syracuse Bulldogs selects this following foursome :

For his quite reasonable offensive output, for his good playoffs, for his size, for his enforcing skills, and in case we need to roughen up refrees : RW Paul Holmgren

For his defensive and physical assets, and to play on the Penalty Killing, and for his underatedness in general, especially in making a defencemen look MUCH better than he actually is == The Chara Case == and because we need to somehow draft our 1st active player : D Chris Philipps

For his unique approach to coaching... Even though he never won the cup as a coach, he can be considered a pioneer when it comes to tactics, and because every coach do what he started to do in 1925-26, and because we think he'll be the right coach to... well, coach, our balanced lineup -- such a hockey mind would find a way to find a slight advantage in every era : Head Coach Odie Cleghorne

For his very respectable numbers offensively -- 503 PTS in less than 700 games --, for his two all star games, for the fact that he had to stand up playing on awful teams for 85% of his career, to please EagleBelfour by selecting a relative of one of his players, and because having a dentist is really a good idea in Minor League Drafts, althought it might be more useful to our opponents considering we have a really schizophreniac lineup... LW Dennis Hextall... Oh, and he was tough too.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Andrej Meszaros?

No way. Too young.

And Markov is no shutdown defenseman, has only 6 seasons of work and has a couple of minus seasons whereas Hannan is always + in +/- despite logging more minutes than anyone else on the team.

It was more about the Ovechkin quote. And yes, Markov is really a shutdown D-Men as far as his defensive play in concerned. If a shutdown for you means he plays physically, he isn't : however, positionning and pokechecking-wise, he's awesome.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
reflections on rounds 19/20:

players stolen off the Vees long list: Carr, Hebert, Butcher
players who should've been on the list: Villemure, Turner
players probably drafted a tad bit early: Pilous, Phillips
interesting picks: Dahlstrom, Bruneteau, Crha, Oliver

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Phillips was a laughingstock for years, but has matured well and certainly is a quality player NOW.

That's the point... He was always somewhat competent on the penalty killing though. When I looked at our lineup, I realized two things :

-The need of a competent penalty killing unit considering our... well, crew.

- The need of another D-Men to play on the PK. I thought of another player to draft, finally opted for Philipps. I am of thoses who think he really created Chara. His "off" year in Boston wasn't an accident, neither a lack of desire.

... And gosh, we had really NO active player AT ALL on our roster.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

If Philipps was drafted early...well... Our next picks are the last two of the draft. Might as well say he didn't deserved to be drafted. Or I could have switched Hextall with him...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Penticton Vees are pleased to select

200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG

Petr Klima

313 goals, 573 NHL points in 786 NHL games (52 points in 95 NHL playoff games).

Scored 18 points in 10 playoff games as a Red Wing one postseason breaking Gordie Howe's Detroit record for playoff goals! Scored 13 points in 18 games as an Oiler one postseason, leading Edmonton to the Western conference finals.

Scored goal in his first NHL game. The goal, at 14:02 of the second period, beat Minnesota goaltender Don Beaupre to give Red Wings a 4-2 lead in what ended as a 6-6 tie. ...out with the injury, he missed the 1986 NHL All-Star Game, in which he had been chosen to play... Scored at least one point in first 10 games of 1986-87 season. It was the longest point-scoring streak by any Detroit player in that season. ... Tied for Detroit lead with five game-winning goals in 1986-87. ... Tied for second in NHL with nine first-goals during 1987-88 season. ... Scored goal on first playoff penalty shot in Detroit Red Wings history, beating Allan Bester in Game 3 of first-round series at Toronto on April 9, 1988. ... Led Detroit in 1988 playoffs with four game-winning goals. ... Broke Gordie Howe's Detroit record for goals in one playoff year with 10 in 1988 ... Had two assists in his first game with Edmonton, on Nov. 3, 1989, vs. Calgary. ... Ended longest playoff game in Edmonton Oilers history (record since broken) by scoring at 15:13 of third overtime to beat Boston 3-2 in Game 1 of Stanley Cup Finals at Boston on May 15, 1990... Led Edmonton with plus-24 rating and three hat tricks in 1990-91. ... Began playing right wing, in addition to left wing, for Edmonton in 1991-92. He would remain both a right wing and left wing for the remainder of his career... Led Edmonton with 13 power-play goals in 1992-93 ... Tied for Tampa Bay lead with three game-winning goals in 1995. ... Scored his 300th career NHL goal for Tampa Bay during Dec. 13, 1995, game at Hartford, becoming only fourth European player (after Jari Kurri, Peter Stastny and Tomas Sandstrom) to achieve that feat.
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1983/83086.html

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Anyang Halla is happy to select

Mud Bruneteau

Very nice pick. For some reason I thought he was already taken in the main draft.

There's also a Soviet era player still available I'm surprised you havn't selected (initials N.D.). I probably would have taken him if I didn't already have 3 RWs when I found out about him.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Vees select C/LW Mike Krushelnyski. He provides veteran leadership, experience, and a solid two-way game.

"Mike Krushelnyski was a versatile forward who was equally proficient at left wing and centre. He was a good stickhandler with a long each who could score, set up plays and check... Starting in 1985-86 Krushelnyski settled into a more defensive role on an Oilers squad that was loaded with offensive players. His ability on faceoffs along with strong two-way play was an under-appreciated component of Edmonton's Stanley Cup triumphs in 1987 and 1988."

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
C/LW Mike Krushelnyski
While best remembered for his Stanley Cup days in Edmonton, nearly half of his 72 playoff points came elsewhere. Most notably, very early and late in his career in Boston and Toronto. For example, Krusher scored 8 goals, 14 points in 17 games in his rookie playoff run to the conference finals as a Bruin in 1983. A whole decade later, he scored 10 points in 16 games in a playoff push to the conference finals as a Leaf.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'll take D Don Sweeney and G Jake Forbes.

Sweeney is a solid defensive defenseman who can step into our lineup without hurting our team. Though small in stature, he wasn't afraid to throw his body around and he was a consistent performer throughout his career, appearing in over 1100 games.

Forbes was one of the best goalies of the early 20's (and maybe the only goalie remaining at this point who was one of the top goalies in the league over a consistent stretch). He was quick and acrobatic, unusual in his style for the era. He was hurt by playing for some relatively weak teams. Unfortunately for him, a contract dispute essentially ended his NHL career.

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

Pilous ..an early pick. The guy won championships wherever he was. Memorial cup, stanley cup. avco cup etc. An early pick at this stage means they should have been a no pick.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pilous ..an early pick. The guy won championships wherever he was. Memorial cup, stanley cup. avco cup etc. An early pick at this stage means they should have been a no pick.
It just means that, with the stats, skill set, positional strengths, etc that they bring, there are guys ahead of them, in my estimation. That's all.

We'll have a UFA section after the draft, where everyone can post undrafted players that are available for pick up if anyone wants to drop a draft pick and sign a free agent instead.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
It just means that, with the stats, skill set, positional strengths, etc that they bring, there are guys ahead of them, in my estimation. That's all.

We'll have a UFA section after the draft, where everyone can post undrafted players that are available for pick up if anyone wants to drop a draft pick and sign a free agent instead.
Yeh but Pilous is a coach not a player. The UFA section sounds interesting. Maybe I can correct some mistakes

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yeh but Pilous is a coach not a player. The UFA section sounds interesting.
Yeah, there are a lot of good coaches, some better for some teams than for others.

The UFA section are for all those players we've researched that didn't make it onto our teams. So don't delete the guys you decided against getting, sometimes just because their skillset doesn't match the team's needs.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Very nice pick. For some reason I thought he was already taken in the main draft.

There's also a Soviet era player still available I'm surprised you havn't selected (initials N.D.). I probably would have taken him if I didn't already have 3 RWs when I found out about him.

I took a long look at him. Problem is with this guy I don´t really know who he would take it playiing 4th line minutes. Something I don´t really question about Bruneteau.
N.D. is very a very interesting player though.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
The Omaha Ice Breakers are proud to select wingers Mark Johnson from Madison, Wisconsin and Dave Reid from Toronto, Ontario.

Johnson was a two-time WCHA allstar and leading scorer at the University of Wisconsin. He recorded 508 (203/305) points in 669 NHL games for Hartford, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and St Louis. When you play for teams like that in the 80's, you don't get just a whole lot of playoff time, but he scored 10/8/18 in 18 games for New Jersey in 1988 (37GP/16G/12A/28P for his career). Johnson was a servicible two-way player who represented the United States in '78, '79, '81, '82, '85, '86, '87, '88, '90 at various World Championships and Canada Cups.

He also had a fairly successful 1980 Winter Olympics (11 pts in 7 games), where he scored two goals in a somewhat-famous contest between the USA and the Soviet Union. If that's not proving your mettle, I don't know what is.

Dave Reid is a winger and two-time Cup winner (Dallas '99 / Colorado '01) who skated on the Smythe-winning line in '99. Another big body, penalty killer and tenacious defender, he'll be right at home alongside the Rucchins and Lowrys and McPhees in Omaha.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Whitby picks C Red Sullivan. There are still quite a few good offensive centres out there who are better than Sullivan but since I already have 3 of that type, I thought I better go for a checker for #4, Sullivan was a good checker who could get you 15-20 goals a season. Also was a leader who was captain of the Rangers.He was an agitator who would run at goalies. So much so that Doug Harvey speared him & almost killed him.

Second pick is G Bert Lindsay whose best years predate the NHL. Being Ted's father, I am sure he was quite feisty.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Springfield selects two of our favourites:

Rob Neidermayer

A big, versatile two-way forward who's been a key member of 3 Stanley Cup Finals runs, and finally won it this past year. He's a great forechecker who can grind, play defense, and chip in offensively.

and

Joey Kocur

A true policeman, who's legendary punching power keeps the opposition honest. He is regarded by many as best KO fighter ever. He nad nothing resembling offensive talent, but he was a surprisingly good skater, and excellent on the forecheck. Most importantly, Kocur knew how to play his role on a winner. He won the Stanley Cup 3 times (New York, Detroit, Detroit), and he was never the healthy scratch that so many enforcers become in the post season, playing 20, 19, and 18 games respectively. GM Neil Smith called Kocur "the final piece of the playoff puzzle" for the Rangers in 1994.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Springfield selects two of our favourites:

Rob Neidermayer

A big, versatile two-way forward who's been a key member of 3 Stanley Cup Finals runs, and finally won it this past year. He's a great forechecker who can grind, play defense, and chip in offensively.

and

Joey Kocur

A true policeman, who's legendary punching power keeps the opposition honest. He is regarded by many as best KO fighter ever. He nad nothing resembling offensive talent, but he was a surprisingly good skater, and excellent on the forecheck. Most importantly, Kocur knew how to play his role on a winner. He won the Stanley Cup 3 times (New York, Detroit, Detroit), and he was never the healthy scratch that so many enforcers become in the post season, playing 20, 19, and 18 games respectively. GM Neil Smith called Kocur "the final piece of the playoff puzzle" for the Rangers in 1994.
We gave Rob Niedermayer a good long look for our checking line RW spot. For most of his career, I viewed him as an underachiever - he was labelled as Mike Gartner with size back in junior. But watching him at the 2004 Worlds, I realized just how good he had become in his defensive role. Big, fast, smart and not afraid to throw a hit when need-be.

Nobody will try anything funny with Joey Kocur on your team. Quite possibly the most dangerous fighter I've ever seen. While Probert was widely lauded as the league's heavyweight champ, I think a lot of guys would tell you they'd much rather fight Probert than Kocur.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Nobody will try anything funny with Joey Kocur on your team. Quite possibly the most dangerous fighter I've ever seen. While Probert was widely lauded as the league's heavyweight champ, I think a lot of guys would tell you they'd much rather fight Probert than Kocur.

Kocur was just devastating. I think Probert was the better enforcer, because he's a guy you could put out on any line and he wouldn't look terribly out of place. But Kocur was the better fighter, from what I've seen. He beat Probert all 3 times they fought. I love the Donald Brashear quote about fighting him:

"Kocur was hitting me in the helmet like a power hammer and in the end the helmet split! I remember the next day I had a terrible pain, my gums on the left side of my head were hurting even though he was hitting me on the right side of my face. I couldn't chew anything. I wonder what it would be if I did not have a helmet? Too scary."

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
From Germany, 6'5 228 lbs D Willie Huber

3 straight 15+ goal seasons
4 straight 40+ point seasons
1983 all-star game

"Huber was an amazingly agile skater for his size, an excellent puck-control defenseman with a booming shot, which he employed effectively from the point. In 1981-82, Huber and winger Mark Osborne shared the team lead in power-play goals with five apiece."

"People expected him to topple forwards like bowling pins, but that wasn't Huber's style. He wasn't afraid of physical play, it simply wasn't the No. 1 facet of his game. I don't go out looking for trouble," Huber explained. "But if someone starts getting rough with me, you can bet that I just won't shy away." The numbers were there to back up his statement. Huber led the Wings with 164 penalty minutes in 1979-80, his second NHL campaign. But his game was skill. "

Anyone want to help with my D pairings? I'm thinking:

Maloney - Russell
Olausson - Langevin
Gregg - Regehr
Huber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad