ATD 2023 Draft Thread II (see post 1,069 for ATD Final voting result)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
[Stack Overflow Error]
08D9512A-E701-46AA-853A-C25E027B73D6.jpeg

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
We'll take Cecil Hart, Coach

1676252670325.png

Cecil Hart - Bio, pictures, stats and more | Historical Website of the Montreal Canadiens

Hart assumed the coaching duties of the Canadiens in 1926-27, the season the team began playing at the Forum. In his first three seasons, Hart led the Canadiens to a first or second place regular season finish; the team won 18 straight games during the 1927-28 season! In 1929-30, Hart coached Montreal to the Stanley Cup title and then repeated his success in 1930-31, It was the first time in franchise history that the Canadiens won back-to-back titles, but it would be their last Cup until 1944. Hart was an innovative coach who believed that team speed and relentless pressure were the keys to the game. He retired after the 1931-32 season, leaving the Canadiens as the dominant team in the NHL. By the middle of the decade, however, the team's performance was steadily going south and sportswriters waged a newspaper campaign to bring Hart back as head coach. In 1936-37, Cece returned to lead the Canadiens to a first-place divisional finish. Hart coached until the middle of the 1939 season, when illness forced him to retire. The Montreal club qualified for the playoffs in each of the 8 seasons that Hart coached the team.

We'll follow that up making perhaps the least surprising pick for our team since we took Taylor when you consider the GMs involved.

Russell Bowie, C

1676252649183.png

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Guelph is going with head coach :

Anatoly Tarasov​

Sneaky f***ing Russian.

I was hoping you boys would do that, and I mean that as a compliment.

Red Wayne is a movie I would watch.

edit: If you put a "K" on Gretzky, I will vote for you in every round, including against my own team, should it come to that.

edit edit: we won't ever speak of Wayne's Ukrainian heritage again.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Obviously, I would have loved Tarasov, but he clearly wasn’t a fit for what Caper and I were building especially when you consider we have a shutdown duo on a checking line.

He seems like a great match with Gretzky because of his emphasis on passing, puck possession, and teamwork.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
See, now that's something I can get behind.

I would like to hear Fedorov say "Wayne" just once, though. Or maybe Bryzgalov. I can only imagine it's a funny-sounding word when a Russkie says it.
Pretty much the same actually. This is Fedorov's sister saying it:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Eh...it's missing a lotta the "ayyy".

I just went to that site and voted "Extremely Hard" on the pronunciation poll just to piss of Victor.

I'm the only person who's voted in the poll thus far, making me right.

You can't defeat my algorithm, Victor. I'll have you spewing Frank propaganda in no time.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Full disclosure: if I'm "grading for color", I've got Wayne + Tarasov as a small plus, meaning that I like it and I'm sure they'd figure it out, but there are a lot of unknowns, so I can't grade it too high.

My algorithm gets a mind of it's own with semiotics sometimes.

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Peterborough Petes are proud to select, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, four times Stanley Cup winner and one of the best defensive defenseman of his era, Jimmy Thomson.

Thomson, even if he was mainly a defensive defenseman, was no slouch offensively speaking, finishing in the top 5 scorers amongst defensemens five times.

1676300401908.png

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
We in Mets management enjoy side pots and über-athletic centers.

We also think you look like somebody just...walked over your grave...cough.

I beg to differ, sir! We started a game we never got to finish...cough...play for blood, remember?

The Seatlle Metropolitans are very pleased to select fighter pilot and center, Frank Fredrickson.

199205002_166f89ec-564e-484f-bd14-e1198683779a.jpeg

edit: it has been brought to my attention that "Fredrickson" is the correct English rendering of his name, which is actually "Friðriksson" in Icelandic. I have misspelled his name in the past (and did so when I first posted this pick), so you'll have to forgive any links I may use which reference older documents about Fredrickson.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The Peterborough Petes are proud to select, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, four times Stanley Cup winner and one of the best defensive defenseman of his era, Jimmy Thomson.

Thomson, even if he was mainly a defensive defenseman, was no slouch offensively speaking, finishing in the top 5 scorers amongst defensemens five times.
It was really hard for me to lay off Jimmy Thomson when I took Pietrangelo. I am a Thomson Truther.

The appeal of drafting a player who was the #1 defenseman on a dynasty team after pick #200 is just really strong. Nice move, Claude.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The Icebreakers select HHOF left winger George Hay, renowned for his complete game, exxeptional at stickhandling, skating and checking.
Thank you.

I would have happily taken Hay at #260 and laughed my way to the bank. You have saved me from walking more trodden paths than I need to this year. I don't see any way in hell that Herbie Lewis was better than this guy at anything, really.

Even for those of us who were paying attention last year, Hay may well always remain a little undervalued in the ATD because of his slight frame, but if you can put him on the right line, he's an outstanding hockey player.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
The GIMLI WHISKY THIEVES select skilled lifelong Blueshirt, whose number 7 went to the rafters less than two years after he finished his career- establishing himself as the first of the Goal-A-Game Line (and first Ranger, for the matter of that) to be so honored.

M. Rod Gilbert- RW

Elvis P

Blue collar cool 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
1676333750021.png

"Gardiner was a rock on the defense corps of every team he played on, and he was also respected for his consistent play through each season". HHOF | Honoured Members
HHoFer and Hart winner Herb Gardiner, D. He was 5' 10" and 190 pounds in 1921. He allegedly played every minute of every game for the Habs and was called "the ironman of hockey". We're using him as a def. dman and he shot left so we're playing him there regardless. @Dr Pepper pms sent

Bo. Hull - Nighbor - Hooley
Phillips - Lalonde - Provost
Noble - X - X
X - X - X

Quackenbush - Seibert
Gardiner - Zubov
X - Desjardins

Broda

1676334245669.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events