ATD 2023 Draft Thread II (see post 1,069 for ATD Final voting result)

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Peterborough Petes are proud to select, from Ottawa, Ontario, one of the best defensive forward of the 00’s, and one of the fittest to ever lace them up, Rod 'the Bod' Brind’Amour.

1676295846344.png

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
You made an assumption that more experienced GMs don't make.
Did I, though?

Naw- I knew on which side Desjardins was going to be slotted when selected. Sometimes, these small(er) drafts impel us to do unconventional things. For instance, @Hawkey Town 18 picked up his 3rd line Center before his line #1 Center. We did something kinda like that, too. We all had plans behind the decisions we made- and it's always interesting to see how the pieces come together when through.

I'm NOT a more experienced GM. In fact, this is my first "start-to-finish" main ATD. [To review, my previous main ATD participation was jumping into an abandoned position.] There's a lot I don't know, surely. As little as I know, however, I know enough about EVERYONE here to understand that no-one currently present was going to botch laterality with Desjardins.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
In Richmond we believe great teams are built down the middle, so we are proud to select:

C Jean Ratelle
One of these years.

I didn't really think I'd get Ratelle, and with a slot on my second pairing still open, I just couldn't risk taking him...but ouch. If I didn't know that some of you animals have an unhealthy relationship with bottom-pairing defensemen, Ratelle would probably be on my team right now. Nice pick, Macho. I'll pull this bullet out of my armor, and carry on.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
We in Mets management love the no-trade draft. Officially, we love it. We wouldn't normally do some shit like this in the ATD because we'd be too worried about "perception" and "value" and all that sissy ass nonsense, and end up trading down and missing our guy, anyway. No more!

This year, we're just gonna give the kid we think is the best a promotion, seniority be damned.

The Seattle Metropolitans are very pleased to select defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.

Been talking about him (and Josi) for that matter for a couple of rounds with TDMM.

What, besides previous draft inertia, could have Desjardins go ahead of either at this point in their careers?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Been talking about him (and Josi) for that matter for a couple of rounds with TDMM.

What, besides previous draft inertia, could have Desjardins go ahead of either at this point in their careers?

Active players always seem to be punished around here for being active. I suppose in some cases it make sense, because these are very much “unfinished” players.

But guys like Pietrangelo and Josi have been around long enough and have that longevity of playing at a high level for us to know what they are by this point.

I’m a big Desjardins guy. But you’re absolutely correct with that point. In no way was he on the same level as these two (especially peak-wise) and that’s not meant as a knock on him.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

This is why I think the no-trade format is a good way to break what you refer to as "draft inertia".

In a draft with trades, people try to peel as much value out of a known undervalued player as they can by maneuvering around the board like a bunch of monkeys on skates (I've been king monkey in this scenario, so not casting stones here). I'd have done the same shit with Peitrangelo if the format didn't put me to a somewhat harder question.

I like it.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Saskatoon is going pure value here. More 2 way play from a blueliner, the only real knock on this guy was his injury history, which is why we believe he'll fit in well as 3rd pairing anchor (better sheltered) and PP ringer who possessed a howitzer of a shot (many said it was best in game until MacInnis got going full time) . At times recency bias can push down players of the past who had, in some cases superior hardware/accolades. We believe this to be one of those players.

His 39 goals in 1981-82 is the 4th most all time in a single season (behind Paul Coffey x2 and Orr once). Outrageous #. And he bested Bourque, Coffey, Potvin, Robinson, to win in the Norris in a landslide.

The Shieks are pleased to welcome:

Doug Wilson, D

1676223640155.png

Looking at previous draft position over the last 10 years: in the ATD:

2022 = 167
2021 = 164
2020 = 164
2019 = 166
2018 = 169
2017 = 125 (overdrafted)
2016 = 163
2015 = 140 (slightly overdrafted)
2014 = 158
2013 = 168

Let's compare Norris/AS/Hart voting records of this player and some of the D that have recently/long been off the board:

Doug Wilson: (much tougher comp at D in the 80s):

Norris:
1, 3, 4, 4, 12

AS:
1, 2, 2, 5, 6, 8

Hart:
7, 9

Roman Josi (weaker peer comp):

Norris:
1, 2, 5, 5, 7, 7, 11

AS:
1, 1, 5, 5, 7, 7,

Hart:
6, 7

Alex Pietrangelo:

Norris:
4, 4, 5, 9, 14, 15

AS:
2, 2, 2, 10, 12

Hart:
NA

Eric Desjardins:

Norris:
4, 5, 9, 9, 10, 14

AS:
2, 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13

Hart:
NA

Brent Burns:

Norris:
1, 2, 3, 8, 12

AS:
1, 1, 2, 8, 10

Hart:

Sergei Zubov:

Norris:
3, 4, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, 13

AS:
2, 5, 5, 7, 8, 8, 10

Hart:
NA

Analysis:
Wilson has, IMO, the strongest Norris win out of any of the above players (Zubov, Piets, Desjardins never won) given the ridiculous goal total + peer comp. He's got as many postaseason AS nods as anyone (3, tied with Piets, Burns for most, everyone else is less) and his Hart record is only very slightly bested by Josi, but considering Wilson was playing in the era of Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Potvin, Trottier, Messier, Coffey, Mac, etc, etc) I'd give him the edge over everyone, certainly those who never got meaningful votes.

Reactions: Sturminator

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Analysis:
Wilson has, IMO, the strongest Norris win out of any of the above players (Zubov, Piets, Desjardins never won) given the ridiculous goal total + peer comp. He's got as many postaseason AS nods as anyone (3, tied with Piets, Burns for most, everyone else is less) and his Hart record is only very slightly bested by Josi, but considering Wilson was playing in the era of Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Potvin, Trottier, Messier, Coffey, Mac, etc, etc) I'd give him the edge over everyone, certainly those who never got meaningful votes.
Shitty GM of a real hockey team, but a very nice player at this point if that's what you be needin'.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Very nice pick up on Wilson. Would have picked him over a quite a few of the recent guys to go. Was wonder how far he would fall, would have taken him with my next pick for the same role.
It's his role at 19 teams.

God help the team that puts Doug Wilson on a 2nd pairing at this point, but as a puck-moving #5...if you can use him on the powerplay, he's nails.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
We in Mets management take evaluating ATD teams seriously. In fact, we think it's rather like appraising a diamond. As it is with gemstones, four factors go into putting a price on it:

1. Size: in the case of ATD teams, this is a measurement of raw talent on the roster.

Gold Standard: pitseleh's ATD #7 champion. Look it up. That thing was a leviathan relative to the rest of the league.​
2. Cut: rarely an issue anymore, with diamonds or ATD teams, most of which are "modern cut" these days. But in ATD terms, cut is a question of whether the players put together on units are close enough to each other in talent level for the line/pairing to make sense.

Gold Standard (in the negative...you can only lose points here): arrbez's ATD 2012 champion. The left wing on that top line fit his role, but was an abomination, all the same.​

3. Color: in the case of ATD teams, this is a sense of "general flavor". Is there some special chemistry going on? A novel system? Old friends? This can range from bland (worst) to very spicy. This is where the fit between coach and team comes in, as well.

Gold Standard: Rob's ATD 2015 champion. Deep red stone, that one.​

4. Flaws: both number and size. We all know what this means. How many areas on the ice is there a poor fit between the players in terms of role? How many roles go unfilled?

Gold Standard (for flawlessness): highly subjective question, and also rather loaded. In retrospect, the old-time teams (including two of my own past champions) do not rate highly here. I'd say that the first ATD team which, looking back, even approaches a perfect score here is the 2013 champion run by BB and myself. That doesn't necessarily mean it is the most flawless ATD team ever, but it is the first champion to rate really highly in this category for me.​

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
We thought about him, but opted for more size and a shoot-first mentality since there is already a lot of D on that line and Heatley has some defense in his game. Can also make a play and crash. Those 2 retro harts were appealing tho
Retro Harts? You mean like from Ultimate Hockey?

Beyond passé. I would not let you into the disco with that shit on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad