ATD 2023 Draft Thread II (see post 1,069 for ATD Final voting result)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Easily one of my favorite Bob Cole calls.

#1: And now..a 24th Stanley Cup banner..will hang..from the rafters of the famous forum..in Montreal….the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!
I enjoy this one:

I like hockey commentary so much more in French. It used to be how I kept myself sharp after college. Now, I'm just another dumb anglo again.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I enjoy this one:

I like hockey commentary so much more in French. It used to be how I kept myself sharp after college. Now, I'm just another dumb anglo again.

I’m an anglo born and raised 45 minutes from Montreal, but in Ontario. French dad, english mom. I can understand a lot of the french language, but can’t speak it or hold an actual conversation. I wish I took the time growing up to put more of an effort in, because being fully bilingual would be pretty nice. I’ve been watching Habs games in french since I was a kid. The regional english coverage is very subpar. Watching the Habs in french for the full experience is where it’s at.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I’m an anglo born and raised 45 minutes from Montreal, but in Ontario. French dad, english mom. I can understand a lot of the french language, but can’t speak it or hold an actual conversation. I wish I took the time growing up to put more of an effort in, because being fully bilingual would be pretty nice.
You have no idea how much...uh, time of day...being pretty good at French got me as a young guy.

I find that anglo girlfriends cry a lot less when the game is on in French, as well.

edit: not that I prefer anglos, but I could never keep a Quebecois woman sedated long enough to get her to sign any contracts.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Trois-Rivieres selects Eric Desjardins, D
When updated, the Trois Rivieres Roster Thread post will be must-see reading.

Here in GIMLI, the Whisky Thieves will select the Forward who has a case for the top NHL pre-expansion F not inducted into the Hall of Fame. Freakishly durable; he had a "perfect-attendance" span of seven years. Twice led the league in Power Play goals... and about half of his career does not have data for Power Play goals. When researching Seibert for the top-100 project, I discovered that this man and the occasional teammate was pretty much the entire primary scoring for pre WW II Chicago- and other scoring on that team was basically ass.

He won Stanley Cups in New York & Chicago- three, in toto. The final one was in 1937-38 when he was a close Hart runner-up to Eddie Shore of the Prince of Wales trophy-winning Bruins.

Taking his place next to probable Captain Kennedy, the GIMLI WHISKY THIEVES add...

Paul Thompson, LW.

[PM to @overpass upcoming]

Last edited:
Reactions: nabby12

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The Ottawa 67s select our third line centre, Hall of Famer and one of the greatest defensive forwards of all time, Guy Carbonneau, C

I know the trend in these smaller drafts is to take a scoring centre who could check a bit for the third line, but I think Guy was just that good.

Pat Lafontaine: “Where most guys might be more offensive and less defensive, Guy could do all of it. He could score that goal, win that big faceoff, and in all the clutch situations he was out there. There are very few players that you look back at and they were Hall of Fame role players in all areas. He did everything exceptionally.”

Guy Carbonneau: “Let me take Gretzky.”

Joe Sakic: “Maybe he had to do that in the playoffs against Wayne, but for the most part, he didn’t shadow. He was just smart and knew how to play, and play the right way. I mean, if you gave him an opportunity, he would go the other way as well. It’s not as if he would just sit there and played a checking role and followed you around. Could he do that? Absolutely. But he was just so smart.

“I don’t think you can be a shutdown defensive centreman or any shutdown (player) unless you’ve got a great IQ and an understanding of reading the plays, and he was one of the best at that.”

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The Ottawa 67s select our third line centre, Hall of Famer and one of the greatest defensive forwards of all time, Guy Carbonneau, C
/meta-comment

The smaller the draft gets, the more I think players with truly "elite traits" matter to their respective teams. Guy has an elite trait. This upsets me.

Nice pick.

Reactions: overpass

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
When updated, the Trois Rivieres Roster Thread post will be must-see reading.

Here in GIMLI, the Whisky Thieves will select the Forward who has a case for the top NHL pre-expansion F not inducted into the Hall of Fame. Freakishly durable; he had a "perfect-attendance" span of seven years. Twice led the league in Power Play goals... and about half of his career does not have data for Power Play goals. When researching Seibert for the top-100 project, I discovered that this man and the occasional teammate was pretty much the entire primary scoring for pre WW II Chicago- and other scoring on that team was basically ass.

He won Stanley Cups in New York & Chicago- three, in toto. The final one was in 1937-38 when he was a close Hart runner-up to Eddie Shore of the Prince of Wales trophy-winning Bruins.

Taking his place next to probable Captain Kennedy, the GIMLI WHISKY THIEVES add...

Paul Thompson, LW.

[PM to @overpass upcoming]

Interestingly enough, I interviewed Paul Thompson's daughter a few months ago for a future project. And one of the things she said is that Thompson was called two or three times to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the 1950s/1960s, but turned it down each time. It seems he wasn't alone as several players turned down HHOF inductions in those days.

So Thompson was definitely an HHOF-calibre forward of his time!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Interestingly enough, I interviewed Paul Thompson's daughter a few months ago for a future project. And one of the things she said is that Thompson was called two or three times to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the 1950s/1960s, but turned it down each time. It seems he wasn't alone as several players turned down HHOF inductions in those days.

So Thompson was definitely an HHOF-calibre forward of his time!

Always enjoy your first hand accounts of these players and their families.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There are few human beings more CARBO than i am.

There hasn't been a 3rd line center position he couldn't own (except the crazy Leafs trading for and putting Max Bentley there - a totally diff situation, skillset, era).

Bur my team picks next and i have to punk Carbo. Why? Cuz last round i took three hours before putting the Road Runner over him (dang tons of all-time great centers).

But if you want a defensive center now. Don't you want the guy Bowman said he would ice ten times out of ten? The guy renowned for defense but offensively no one has scored more in the playoffs in the decade (1970s). This is another fact.

In no universe should Carbonneau, whom i love dearly, go in the same zip code, let alone before: the Icebreakers select Jacques Lemaire.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
What a shame, but also no surprise. The hall was a shit show for a pretty long time, there.

I've found researching Paul Thompson's career in the past rather difficult. I hope we can find more on him. I know our knowledge of his career has grown somewhat over the years, but I feel like he's still somewhat shrouded in the mists of time.

Probably has something to do with algorithms and the butt hole pain that is searching for someone with a really common name.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
We in Mets management love the no-trade draft. Officially, we love it. We wouldn't normally do some shit like this in the ATD because we'd be too worried about "perception" and "value" and all that sissy ass nonsense, and end up trading down and missing our guy, anyway. No more!

This year, we're just gonna give the kid we think is the best a promotion, seniority be damned.

The Seattle Metropolitans are very pleased to select defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.

gettyimages-1181087544-594x594-1.jpg

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Lemaire and Pietrangelo. I’m a huge fan of both. Both underrated career-wise, and in terms of ATD value. Excellent picks.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I have this theory that the occasional no-trade draft is an excellent mechanism for helping re-set the ATD value of some players (or even sets of players like utility LWs) whose draft positions seem to get stuck in the mud even though everyone knows they're low because in a draft with trades everyone wants to maneuver around and hunt for "value".

Being guaranteed of not seeing another pick again for X number of draft slots tends to sober the mind a lot about the wisdom of waiting on the guy you think is the best for what you're trying to do with your team...at this point in the draft, anyway.

If you're one of those people who thinks Bob Gainey should honestly go in the 4th round, by all means wait on that shit.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am still so pissed!!

I did not have Lemaire on my longlist of 11 players because:

a) i didnt expect him to be there; and

b) i'd think f that, let him fall given a deep pivot class. But right before me: Guy Carbonneau???!! Argh! ... i reacted as i had to. I had no choice. I am still upset. Dang!

If this wasn't a no-trade draft i would have 100% traded down or traded away. Not strategically, but morally.

I gotta go take a walk and cool down...

Elvis P

718 Boxster
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
When updated, the Trois Rivieres Roster Thread post will be must-see reading. ...
Habsfan18 , VanI, and tz liked our pick because they understand what we're doing. One of the 2 reasons TDMM praised our Zubov pick was because of something Zubov and Desjardins have in common. You made an assumption that more experienced GMs don't make. GMs are now gonna read your post and our updated roster and it won't make you look good. We're in the second half now. For nabby12's sake please don't go out of your way to alienate other GMs for no reason.

Edit: Added the "s" in Desjardins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad