ATD 2022 Rules Discussion

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
As far as I know, the 2nd round has never been given 24 hours. Why change now?

Having never done something before is a poor reason not not try something new. That said, trying something new for no reason is also a poor practice.

Personally, I'd like to see clocks extended- I think it will benefit the process, and, selfishly, I dislike having to do the "should-I-leave-a-list" game before going to bed every night.

Rounds 1-2: 24 hours
Rounds 3-10: 10 hours
Rounds 11-20: 8 hours
Rounds 21-24: 6 hours

As CTP notes (below), most people are not going to use the full clock, especially in the early going. Additionally, we have a small draft this year, so it is going to be quicker between picks anyway. Let's give people the time to do their research, explore trade options, etc. We don't need to fly through this thing.

The 24 hour clock in Round 1 is kind of a case of "Theory-and-Practice."

In theory, 24 hours is a helluva long time for someone to make up their mind about the primary piece of their team.

In practice, most people make pretty quick decisions in Round 1.

Longer clocks benefit one particular activity... trading. If we're all right with trading, we should be all right with longer clocks.

The trade aspect is something I didn't think of before you brought it up- that's a good point.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Having never done something before is a poor reason not not try something new. That said, trying something new for no reason is also a poor practice.

Personally, I'd like to see clocks extended- I think it will benefit the process, and, selfishly, I dislike having to do the "should-I-leave-a-list" game before going to bed every night.

Rounds 1-2: 24 hours
Rounds 3-10: 10 hours
Rounds 11-20: 8 hours
Rounds 21-24: 6 hours

As CTP notes (below), most people are not going to use the full clock, especially in the early going. Additionally, we have a small draft this year, so it is going to be quicker between picks anyway. Let's give people the time to do their research, explore trade options, etc. We don't need to fly through this thing.

The trade aspect is something I didn't think of before you brought it up- that's a good point.

My ideal clock would be exactly this, but with the 2nd round 12 hours.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The 24 hour clock in Round 1 is kind of a case of "Theory-and-Practice."

In theory, 24 hours is a helluva long time for someone to make up their mind about the primary piece of their team.

In practice, most people make pretty quick decisions in Round 1.

Longer clocks benefit one particular activity... trading. If we're all right with trading, we should be all right with longer clocks.

I believe the rationale for Round 1 being 24 hours is twofold:

1) Some GMs sign up but don't necessarily check hfboards every day until the draft starts. This gives them a chance to be informed that the draft has started.

2) Missing a 1st round pick would really really suck.

Not a big deal to me if Round 2 is longer though

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Given last year's draft order, if your early 2nd round pick is SKIPPED, you would miss out on Morenz, Kelly, Jagr, the FEW remaining arguably top-10 all-time skaters. There is a big DROP from the beginning to end of the 2nd round (17th to 32nd) in this much smaller draft.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I don't know about that.
One thing that'll be fun about doing assassinations this year is trying to re-value some of these players with a smaller league size. Having Morenz is one thing, but if we're imagining him going up against Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau and Crosby night after night (and who knows, maybe they'll end up in the same division), then that's not the strength it used to be. I think Bryan Leetch has often been considered the last #1 defenseman in the ATD, and if you get past him you need to draft another top pair guy real quick. Leetch shouldn't be even close to a #1 this time, and anyone who has him as their best defenseman has a clear weakness to deal with.

And yeah, Morenz's all time rank/what we consider his pure skill level for ATD purposes will still be higher than his draft position, but I don't think that's unique to the second round.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
24 hours for the 2nd round is WAY too long

At 10-12 teams maybe it was acceptable, but at 16 we are already very near the same number of teams we had last year

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I thought it was 20. Regardless, 24 hrs in the 2nd round is too long. An entire day of waiting for someone just kills the momentum. Juts look at today, for example.

At least this time tomorrow, @rmartin65 and I will know where we're slated to pick and won't be talking about 5 different hypotheticals

Edit: He's trying to talk me out of the Roy/Hasek double goalie picks

Reactions: rmartin65

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think we should lock into this for clock (TDMM's proposal from previous page). Draft thread is going to go up tomorrow AM so we need to confirm.

24 hr for round 1
12 for round 2
10 for rounds 3-10
8 for 11-14
6 for 15-20
4 for rest.

FYI, this was a compromise (that I made) between your proposal and last year's draft. I actually prefer rmartin's proposal (but with Round 2 at 12 hours).

I agree we should lock this down.

I really hope we can do it without another poll :laugh:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
FYI, this was a compromise (that I made) between your proposal and last year's draft. I actually prefer rmartin's proposal (but with Round 2 at 12 hours).

I agree we should lock this down.

I really hope we can do it without another poll :laugh:

I'm just going to keep upvoting clock suggestions until we come to an agreement

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
24 hour clock for round 1
then 12 hour clock for round 2
then 10 hour clock for rounds 3-6
then 8 hour clock for rounds 7-14
then 6 hour clock for rounds 15-20
then 4 hour clock for rounds 21-24

proven formula

10 hours for round 7-10 is too long

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
24 hour clock for round 1
then 12 hour clock for round 2
then 10 hour clock for rounds 3-6
then 8 hour clock for rounds 7-14
then 6 hour clock for rounds 15-20
then 4 hour clock for rounds 21-24

proven formula

10 hours for round 7-10 is too long

Same as last year? I thought that at 24 teams, the draft went by just a little too fast. At 16, it would go by faster.

Not a big deal to me (or anyone else I'd imagine)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Same as last year? I thought that at 24 teams, the draft went by just a little too fast. At 16, it would go by faster.

Too fast? That's because last year IIRC we had a gigantic run where 3 rounds were done in like a week. That's not the structure, just people picking fast.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I also think we're going to fly regardless if we add a few more hours to rounds 3-10. All of the GM's except Van are in the Newfoundland to Pacific time zones as far as I can tell so I'd wager even with a slightly expanded clock, picks aren't going to take long as most people will be online at the same times.

Unless anyone formally objects, it seems like we can go with this and move on w/business!

24 hr for round 1
12 for round 2
10 for rounds 3-10
8 for 11-14
6 for 15-20
4 for rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad